It is currently April 27th, 2024, 5:18 am

Log switches between highlighted variables at random

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
skwerlman

Log switches between highlighted variables at random

Post by skwerlman »

To replicate:
1. Open the log
2. Click on the skins tab
3. Select any skin
4. Select any item below 'Variables'
5. Select the 'Variables' separator
6. The about page will now highlight a random variable each time the skin updates.
7. Select any other skin; it'll keep happening

Encountered in rainmeter 3.0.2 r2161 64-bit on Win7 64-bit.

EDIT: If there are less than six(?) variables in the skin, it will not begin highlighting random variables until you select another skin; switching to a skin with less than six(?) variables will not stop the random switching.
Last edited by skwerlman on May 26th, 2014, 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
VasTex

Re: About page switches between highlighted variables at ran

Post by VasTex »

Tested and I can confirm that this is still an issue in the most recent Rainmeter build [3.1 Final Release (r2290)] on a 64bit Win8.1 machine.

I'll admit that it's odd and I have no idea what might be causing it, but I also don't see much need for this to be fixed (At least not right now) simply due to the fact that it doesn't appear to impact the functionality or performance of Rainmeter as a whole.

I suppose it could be slightly frustrating if you were to want to keep a single variables highlighted, but if that's the case then I would just not click on the Variables separator.

Anyway, interesting find and I would be curious to know what the developers think of this! :thumbup:

*P.S. - The 'About page' is more commonly referred to as the 'log'. Took me a while to find this 'about page'. Oh well thanks for the find I think!
01010100 01100101 01100011 01101000 01101110 01101111 01101100 01101111 01100111 01101001
01100011 01100001 01101100 00100000 01000010 01100001 01100100 01100001 01110011 01110011
skwerlman

Re: About page switches between highlighted variables at ran

Post by skwerlman »

VasTex wrote: *P.S. - The 'About page' is more commonly referred to as the 'log'. Took me a while to find this 'about page'.
Cleared that up. I'm fairly new here, so I'm still learning the terminology.
VasTex wrote:Tested and I can confirm that this is still an issue in the most recent Rainmeter build [3.1 Final Release (r2290)] on a 64bit Win8.1 machine.

I'll admit that it's odd and I have no idea what might be causing it, but I also don't see much need for this to be fixed (At least not right now) simply due to the fact that it doesn't appear to impact the functionality or performance of Rainmeter as a whole.

I suppose it could be slightly frustrating if you were to want to keep a single variables highlighted, but if that's the case then I would just not click on the Variables separator.

Anyway, interesting find and I would be curious to know what the developers think of this! :thumbup:
Yeah, I didn't think it was too much of an issue, but a bug's a bug, so I reported it.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Log switches between highlighted variables at random

Post by jsmorley »

I think it's a function of how that application control for listing the measure values and variables works. Everything in it is added as an "element" in the control, including those Measures and Variables separator labels. When you hover or select an element in that kind of control, it is highlighted. We want the measure values and variables to be highlighted of course, so you can copy them etc. However we don't want those labels to stay highlighted, so the About / Skins code "pushes the highlight off", probably to the last item in that section that was updated.

It's a minor visible quirk, and not one I think we will do any wheel-invention to change. Thanks for reporting though.

P.S. The way I think of and talk about that that window is the About dialog with Log / Skin / Plugin / Version tabs or panels. So I generally won't say "view the Log", but "view the About / Log" which hopefully makes it easier for a new user to find.
Brian
Developer

Re: Log switches between highlighted variables at random

Post by Brian »

This issue has been fixed for the next beta.

(Sorry for the delay :oops: )

-Brian