It is currently March 29th, 2024, 11:06 am

Invalid Package! Oh noes!

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Mjr.Chaos

Invalid Package! Oh noes!

Post by Mjr.Chaos »

In short, every time I try to open an .rmskin file with the Rainmeter Skin Installer, it offers me an error message saying:

"Invalid Package: [skin name]
The Skin Packager tool must be used to create valid .rmskin packages"

Note that Rainmeter is up to date.
Also note that .rar archive skins are working perfectly fine.

Any suggestions?
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Invalid Package! Oh noes!

Post by jsmorley »

Assuming that you are running the latest version of Rainmeter, it sounds to me like something is altering .rmskin files when you download them. I would be very tempted to run your antivirus, run MalwareBytes AntiMalware, check your browser for any plugins or addons you are not aware of, or try an alternative browser.

If even one byte of a .rmskin file is changed externally, the skin installer will reject it. This is to protect from .rmskin files that are changed after they are created, by those with evil intent.

If worse comes to worse, you can rename a .rmskin file to .zip, extract it and install it manually, but it sure sounds like you have something going on that needs investigation.
Mjr.Chaos

Post by Mjr.Chaos »

The strangest thing.

I used Firefox to download PILEUS, which uses a .rmskin file (I was previously using Google Chrome), and when I opened it it worked with the installer. Convinced that maybe it had something to do with the browser, I deleted it, pulled up the same link on Chrome, and downloaded it from there. It still worked.

I didn't change anything, to my knowledge, so... I'm more than a little concerned, but the Malwarebytes scan came up clean, and my computer has been behaving, so I'm not sure it had to do with malicious software. I don't profess to be an expert, however, so I could be missing something here.
moshi

Post by moshi »

i wouldn't be surprised if some uploaders just rename a ZIP or RAR extension to RMSKIN.
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

moshi wrote:i wouldn't be surprised if some uploaders just rename a ZIP or RAR extension to RMSKIN.
I concur and I really don't understand this bad habit, since it's so easy to create an .rmskin...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

fonpaolo wrote: I concur and I really don't understand this bad habit, since it's so easy to create an .rmskin...
Renaming a .zip to .rmskin just won't work in any case. Rainmeter will refuse to install it.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX
HoaxCode

Post by HoaxCode »

I'm getting this error, I've tried reinstalling from scratch rainmeter 4.3.1 and 4.4beta to but both versions have the same problem. The error occurs for all packages, een if they worked in the past. Ive tried creating my own packages from another device, but i get the same thing. Ive tried downloading .rmskins with different browsers. I'll run my anti-virus again on a deeper scan, but I think its something else
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

HoaxCode wrote: April 28th, 2020, 8:44 pm I'm getting this error, I've tried reinstalling from scratch rainmeter 4.3.1 and 4.4beta to but both versions have the same problem. The error occurs for all packages, een if they worked in the past. Ive tried creating my own packages from another device, but i get the same thing. Ive tried downloading .rmskins with different browsers. I'll run my anti-virus again on a deeper scan, but I think its something else
Yeah, almost no doubt that your computer did not socially distance when it should have...

MaskEar.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.