It is currently March 29th, 2024, 10:13 am

Update NowPlaying documentation: VLC no longer works

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
WandersFar

Update NowPlaying documentation: VLC no longer works

Post by WandersFar »

The latest version of VLC is incompatible with Rainmeter’s NowPlaying plugin.

Rainmeter relied on the libcad plugin to communicate with VLC, which has not been updated in months. I emailed the developer and many posters have notified him that the plugin is non-functional but he hasn’t responded.

The libcad plugin still works with older versions of VLC (2.0) but since 2.1, VLC has done away with the plugins/notify folder which was the only way to install the dll. Recreating the notify folder and placing libcad there doesn’t work either.

So until the libcad plugin is updated or an alternate solution is found, the documentation should be updated to indicate that NowPlaying is only compatible with VLC through version 2.0 and not beyond.
poiru
Developer

Re: Update NowPlaying documentation: VLC no longer works

Post by poiru »

Apologies for the delay, I have been busy with other things lately. Expect an updated version in a day or two.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

I have an updated version for you to try: http://poiru.net/libcad_plugin.zip

(Note: The .zip has a 32-bit and 64-bit version of the VLC plugin. If you have 32-bit VLC, use the one in the 32-bit folder. If you have 64-bit VLC, use the one in the 64-bit folder.)

Copy libcad_plugin.dll to VLC\plugins\misc (e.g. C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\plugins\misc) and then enable the "CAD NowPlaying" interface as shown here.

Let me know if it works. Please do tell if you notice any oddities :)
WandersFar

Post by WandersFar »

Just installed the 32-bit version and am using it now. Everything seems to be working! Thank you, Poiru.
maria_fj

Post by maria_fj »

Stupid question:

With which skin does it run?

Reason for asking: I try it with Engima, but no real change :( AND also the question where resp. how to specify what is played? Does it work as well with streams?
Locust

Post by Locust »

maria_fj wrote:Stupid question:

With which skin does it run?

Reason for asking: I try it with Engima, but no real change :( AND also the question where resp. how to specify what is played? Does it work as well with streams?
It runs with all skins as a skin is simply the visual for rainmeters many plugins the plugin this uses is NowPlaying.dll
essaiedf

Post by essaiedf »

Hello!

the libcad_pluging.dll does not work with the last VLC (2.2.0 and 3.0.0)
I have no success to compile it with my Visual Studio 2012 :-(
StormHertz

Post by StormHertz »

Yeah, I updated to 2.2.1 (Terry Pratchett) and the libcad plugin does not work with it, neither the 32-bit nor the 64-bit versions are detected by the new VLC version.

It seems I solved my problems with internet radio streaming, and immediately ran into problems with rainmeter compatibility.
2bndy5

Post by 2bndy5 »

Is it possible to use the WindowMessage plugin to collect info from VLC. I tried this out using the following:

Code: Select all

[MeasureVLC]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WindowMessagePlugin
WindowClass=QWidget
Substitute="[Paused]":""," - VLC media player":""
This returned the window name (such as the title of media playing), but if there are other vlc windows open the measure returns the most recent vlc window title.

I'd like to explore this idea more as this measure also worked for SMPlayer, but I don't know how to manipulate the WindowMessage option.
Valnac

Post by Valnac »

Any update on a working libcab plugin for VLC 2.2+?