It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:09 pm

Skins flash as if "on top" When I click/focus Desktop

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
NJDEN

Re: Skins flash as if "on top" When I click/focus Desktop

Post by NJDEN »

Ok, its been about five months since I inquired about this and we have gone through multiple versions of Rainmeter. I unfortunately have to report that the problem is persisting...

I had hoped that by now either a Rainmeter update or a GPU driver would have fixed the issue.

This problem doesn't happen with integrated CPU graphics, however on both my desktop and laptop with dedicated graphics cards the flickering persists. I hope that's information that can be utilized as this flickering is the only thing keeping my Windows desktop from achieving nirvana.
AriinPHD

Post by AriinPHD »

I just now joined the forum to necro this tread and add that I, too, am noticing this odd behaviour of Rainmeter even to this day; latest version!

Very often (but not always) when I swap between Windows applications and then click the actual Windows desktop background, the Rainmeter skin "flashes" on "top" of every single app for a brief moment, before settling back into the background.

I'm guessing this is because Rainmeter is a windows application and somehow believes it's being called to the foreground when I click the background. It's a very bizzare behaviour.

Which settings are enabled seesm to not matter.

Reproduce:
Enable Rainmeter and a skin
Open a Windows app, or two. Swap between them, then click the windows desktop background (don't need to click the rainmeter skin itself)
For the briefest of moments, but plenty long to see it, the skin will flash on top of all windows - then settle back into the background...

Version: latest. 4.1.0 r2989 (64b) I recommend you put a version indicator in the "help" menu of rainmeter........ not hidden in some obscure Open log window.

Windows 10. DxDiag attached (edit: you don't support attaching text files so see the following url instead.........) https://pastebin.com/s2FLPxQT (Paste expiration in 6 months)
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Just thought I would say I was able to verified the same "flash" behaviour with this version:

4.2.0 beta r3018 64-bit (Dec 20 2017)
Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit (build 17025)
Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
SkinPath: C:\Users\John\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I cannot replicate this behavior.

4.2.0 beta r3019 64-bit (Dec 21 2017)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (build 16299)
Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\Jeffrey\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
SkinPath: C:\Users\Jeffrey\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
CPU: AMD FX-8320
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (4095MB)
Monitor: BenQ GL2760 (1920x1080@60Hz)
Windows DPI: 100%
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

AriinPHD

Post by AriinPHD »

Hi jsmorley,

Thanks for the tips!

I ran a few tests with various configurations, but there is no change in behaviour unfortunately. The "flashing" persists.

I made a quick and cheap video to properly show the extent of the effect. I'm sorry that it does not provide much of "debug information" however. I uploaded it unlisted to youtube: