It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:48 pm

Skins flash as if "on top" When I click/focus Desktop

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
PhoenixHope

Skins flash as if "on top" When I click/focus Desktop

Post by PhoenixHope »

I've been using rainmeter since forever and this problem occured right after installing windows 8.1. Since, I have reinstalled rainmeter to try and fix it. I have also tried resetting positions. Everything is set to 'On Desktop' as it always has been. Basically if I click anywhere on the desktop, rainmeter flashes all the skins as if they go On Top for a second. This is constant now.
I have recorded a sample as a gif.

*edited title to remove windows 8
Last edited by PhoenixHope on November 9th, 2013, 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aaron_Raines

Re: Got Windows 8.1 -> skins flash "on top" When I click Des

Post by Aaron_Raines »

This issue is not only a problem with 8.1 as I have the same issue with windows 7
Anyx

Re: Got Windows 8.1 -> skins flash "on top" When I click Des

Post by Anyx »

Also having this exact problem, Windows 8.1 as well. Newest version of Rainmeter said that it fixed a flashing issue on refresh, but it appears that its not the same issue.
PhoenixHope

Re: Skins flash as if "on top" When I click/focus Desktop

Post by PhoenixHope »

No devs have any help for this at all?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

PhoenixHope wrote:No devs have any help for this at all?
I can't replicate the problem at all. I have Windows 8.1, the latest Rainmeter, and my skins all behave as expected when overlapped by other application windows.

I"m not sure what to suggest. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card, and that you are not running any other software that interacts with the desktop, Fences, Desktop Corral, UltraMon, anything like that. Not saying there is anything wrong with using any such software with Rainmeter, lots of folks do, but it would be worth eliminating possibilities.
rtrinidad

Post by rtrinidad »

I'm having the same issue, sort of anyway. The skin area flashes over IE10, IE11, and Chrome but only if the browsers partially cover the skin. If the skin is fully covered by the browsers there is no flashing issue. Once it flashes the area where the skin is located underneath does not change. Scrolling the page makes it noticeable. See the attached jpg. You can see the outline of the Welcome Skin breaks the display of the page.
rainmeter.jpg
moshi

Post by moshi »

that could be a useful screenshot. actually this is the only info in the whole thread that could be useful to solve this. you are using the Windows 7 Basic theme.

does this happen when you are using Aero as well?
is dwm.exe running?
rtrinidad

Post by rtrinidad »

BINGO! I'm using Windows 7 with a custom theme incorporating personal background images. I never noticed that my custom theme was based on the Windows 7 Basic theme. I re-created my custom theme as an Aero theme and the issue is gone.

So the flashing issue only occurs if I use a Basic or High Contrast theme or any theme based on these.

dwm.exe is running.

I killed the dwm.exe process and I noticed that my Aero effects disappeared. The flashing issue also returned. I recycled my Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service to restart the dwm.exe process and the flashing issue stopped.

Hope that help narrow down the issue.
NJDEN

Post by NJDEN »

I'm having the exact same problem... Was running Windows 7 Ultimate the other day and had that issue. I wiped my desktop and installed Windows 8.1 and the problem is here to.

I have all the latest drivers and updates, so I don't know whats causing it.

I made a thread before I knew about this one, it has some more pictures and examples.

http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=17417
NJDEN

Post by NJDEN »

I'm not sure, but I think this issue is attributed to certain types of graphics...

On my personal Desktop which has a Nvidia GTX 570 and my Laptop which has a GTX 765m, I see the flickering. Yet on my parents Laptop I see no flickering at all and Rainmeter appears to run flawlessly, that laptop is using Intel integrated graphics... I only have three devices to test, but if others could test I think maybe its that Nvidia GPU's are the problem.