It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:33 pm

New Tiered Variable System

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
BrianHeston

Re: New Tiered Variable System

Post by BrianHeston »

The only thing that makes me nervous about a tiered variable system is that it could easily get confusing as to naming conventions. So, if there was a tiered system, would all variable names have to be unique? or would there also then be a priority system put in place?

The scenario that I see is this:

Theme Level - Variables.ini
FontFace=Shruti

Config Level - Variables .ini
FontFace=Tahoma

Skin Level - RAMMeter.ini
FontFace=#FontFace# Now does this end up as Shruti or Tahoma

I would assume that any time a variable is defined within a given skin, this would override any higher level variable with the same name, but is that how it would actually work, or would you run into a problem with Rainmeter using the first definition it comes to (which would be at the highest level I would think)?
SillyBlade

Post by SillyBlade »

jsmorley wrote: You know, I say what I think, but with the best of intentions and never making it personal. If you want to make personal attacks you really need to find a different forum. It is not how we work here. Be very careful how you construct your next reply.
It's not my fault you take my reply as a personal attack when I'm simply adding my opinion on the matter much as you were. Not once was my reply trying to be personal. Just expressing my view on the matter, the same as you were.

And I like how you throw in the subtle threat in the end there. Speaking of how you "work" here, wouldn't it be rather unprofessional for one normal user ( Since you don't have a title under your name such as the admins and devs ) to take advantage of being closer to the admins/devs of this forum. And even more unprofessional if they were to act upon that. And anyways, if you want to threaten me with being banned, I can guarantee you 1 thing. And that is that it will not work. Whether you've been here longer or not, or are closer to the admins or not, doesn't mean shit. They want to run a 'business' in terms like that then fine, let em. And watch how bad of a community it will get.

So yeah, you want to try go ahead. Not like it'd bother me, it is just a forum after all. There's plenty others out there with just as much about rainmeter and some with more. And plenty out there with a better community and not old fags taking advantage of being close to the admins.

So maybe take a bit of your own advice and, "Be very careful how you construct your next reply."

^ A personal attack for a personal attack. ^

I've been using forums for quite some time, and have been admin/mod on many forums for big game developers and hosters. And the way we do shit all around the world with all them is, if you don't like the thread or idea within the thread in question, then don't bother with it. And like I said before, them implementing this will not harm you or make anything any different for you. It's just simply there as an option for those who do want to use it. And I think looking at the replies so far, there is plenty of people that think it's a wonderful idea, such as myself.
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

For the record, "old fags" was probably the tipping point. See you around.
SillyBlade

Post by SillyBlade »

Like I said, a personal attack for a personal attack.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Kaelri wrote:For the record, "old fags" was probably the tipping point. See you around.

The reply was slightly less "careful" than I was shooting for... ;-) Oh well. Sorry as can be to highjack your thread with this nonsense Dragonmage.
Aubron

Post by Aubron »

an equivalent of a web "includes" system would be excellent, though I personally prefer the idea of it being on a by theme basis then being COMPLETELY global.

Setting global variables in a theme would be useful, especially if you wanted to simplify configuration for your users.
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

Aubron wrote:an equivalent of a web "includes" system would be excellent, though I personally prefer the idea of it being on a by theme basis then being COMPLETELY global.

Setting global variables in a theme would be useful, especially if you wanted to simplify configuration for your users.
As a matter of fact, we've been discussing an Include system behind closed doors (not that it's a secret or anything), which, if it works, will do what both tiered variables and common .INIs were trying to accomplish. In theory, it'll be entirely flexible; the skin author can include variables for the config, and then the user could add a second include for their own personalized, or "global," settings. Moreover, this will be applicable not only to variables, but measures, styles, metadata, anything.

Still in the concept phase, though, so nobody jump the gun, please. :)
Aubron

Post by Aubron »

Kaelri wrote: As a matter of fact, we've been discussing an Include system behind closed doors (not that it's a secret or anything), which, if it works, will do what both tiered variables and common .INIs were trying to accomplish. In theory, it'll be entirely flexible; the skin author can include variables for the config, and then the user could add a second include for their own personalized, or "global," settings. Moreover, this will be applicable not only to variables, but measures, styles, metadata, anything.

Still in the concept phase, though, so nobody jump the gun, please. :)
Sounds interesting, I'll be waiting to hear more about it.
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

jsmorley wrote: But all of those are already global in a sense, as they have file associations. So if I click on a link, I don't need Rainmeter to know that my browser is Firefox. If I "execute" an image, Photoshop already automatically loads. I dnt do inst msg yo

;-)
Yes, but if you are using Rainmeter on an account other than your own, as I sometimes do on my ol'lady's account, maybe the system defaults are not your personal preference. You know I always keep portability in mind as well. Your portable Rainmeter could use your preferred portable browser rather than the system default IE on a public computer. Just covering all bases here, shell executes are fine as long as it is your own shell.
iUnify

Post by iUnify »

I would (personally) find it useful to change the font for all of my skins to both the same type as well as size.

However, I am not going to pretend I know what else is going on here!! My next thread is going to be "Rainmeter School" and my grand idea to start offering Rainmeter 101 Internet classes- anyone wanna teach? I'm already planning on being a student! :ugeek: