It is currently April 19th, 2024, 10:19 am

[Request] Keep on top & Hide on hover annoying behavior

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Raintot

[Request] Keep on top & Hide on hover annoying behavior

Post by Raintot »

Hello !

I couldn't tell if this is a bug or a feature, so I only wrote "Request" in the title.

I am actually using Rainmeter also for dimming screens light dynamically when the cursor leaves the screen : I add an ImageMeter with a black picture, then set it to 60% transparency, keep on top and hide on mouse over.
It works really well however even with the option "keep on top" all the right-click menus stays above. And because the cursor is no more over the Meter but over the menu, the meter triggers the mouse leave. And as it can be a quick action that occurs during the Meter fade-in, the cursor is back over the Meter, but it doesn't trigger the mouse over so it doesn't fade out again.

I see three solutions for this :
1. The best would be that when the meter is set as "keep on top", it stays on top everything including menus and other "on top" elements.
2. The second solution is that to check if the "mouse over" event has been triggered if the cursor moves above the Meter (and not checking only once when the cursor moves in).
3. The third solution would be simpler : an option to disable fades for "on mouse over" effects on Meters.

The best would be to implement all those features, but just one of them would fix my problem. :)
Thanks in advance for your help !
kyriakos876

Re: [Request] Keep on top & Hide on hover annoying behavior

Post by kyriakos876 »

I don't think what you're asking is going to be a thing... Imagine a situation where you accidentally load a full screen skin with "keep on top" and you can't press cltr+right click to unload it... Let alone fighting with windows to draw on top of the menu would be bad, if that's even possible.
Raintot

Post by Raintot »

Yes, I see what you mean. Maybe the 1st solution won't be implemented for safety (even if Windows' safe mode would be a possible way to fix locked on top elements - not really user friendly though).
However even the 2nd or 3rd solution would fix my issue. The 3rd would also be interesting for performance adjustment.
kyriakos876

Post by kyriakos876 »

Raintot wrote: December 11th, 2018, 1:23 pm Yes, I see what you mean. Maybe the 1st solution won't be implemented for safety (even if Windows' safe mode would be a possible way to fix locked on top elements - not really user friendly though).
However even the 2nd or 3rd solution would fix my issue. The 3rd would also be interesting for performance adjustment.
The 3rd solution is something like this? : https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/bangs/#DisableMouseAction
Raintot

Post by Raintot »

Hum... no. I meant an option to disable the default fade-in fade-out when the mouse gets out or over an element with option "On mouse over: Hide". So when the mouse is over the element, it disappears directly - when it goes out, it appears directly with no transitions. :)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Raintot wrote: December 11th, 2018, 3:04 pm Hum... no. I meant an option to disable the default fade-in fade-out when the mouse gets out or over an element with option "On mouse over: Hide". So when the mouse is over the element, it disappears directly - when it goes out, it appears directly with no transitions. :)
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/settings/skin-sections/#FadeDuration

This must be set manually in Rainmeter.ini, by using "Edit settings" from the context menu or Manage, and then adding the line to the [ConfigName] section for the skin you want to set this value for. Then save and refresh Rainmeter.
Raintot

Post by Raintot »

Ah ! That's great ! It partially fixes my problem, but I think there's still something to fix (solution 2). I'll have to show you what I mean exactly so you can understand what the problem is.