It is currently April 18th, 2024, 1:32 am

Crash of Rainmeter when using certain skins

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Ananda96

Re: Crash of Rainmeter when using certain skins

Post by Ananda96 »

Thanks a lot - it works!
you guys are fantastic, thanks for fast reaction and fixing errors :)
Ananda96

Post by Ananda96 »

Sorry to report that it still crashes:
using this little configuration tool: selcting colors own colors works.
entering gmail and password does nothing.
entering weathercode does nothing.
switching forward (the small Buttons) makes Rainmeter crash again.
If i don't access the configuration Tool it works (without gmail and weather)
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Ananda96 wrote: November 15th, 2018, 8:40 pm Sorry to report that it still crashes:
using this little configuration tool: selcting colors own colors works.
entering gmail and password does nothing.
entering weathercode does nothing.
switching forward (the small Buttons) makes Rainmeter crash again.
If i don't access the configuration Tool it works (without gmail and weather)
Gmail and Weather are working for me; I input my Google username (without @Gmail.com) and press [Enter] to set it. Then input my GMail password and press [Enter] to set it. The same for the weather location. :confused:

There are MouseOverAction and MouseLeaveAction in the [Rainmeter] section of the gmail1.ini and gmail2.ini files that you should delete or comment out (add a semicolon to start those lines); they may be cauing the crash, since the referenced meter do not exist. :x

This suite was written 5 years ago and needs updating, but basically is working for me... :)
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

eclectic-tech wrote: November 16th, 2018, 2:49 am (add a semicolon to start those lines)
Although I didn't test it too deeply, works for me, too. At least as far as I tested it.
In addition, just a small detail eclectic-tech: in Rainmeter those are not lines, but options. You add the semicolon to the start of options, not to the start of lines (hope you don't mind).
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala wrote: November 16th, 2018, 2:18 pm Although I didn't test it too deeply, works for me, too. At least as far as I tested it.
In addition, just a small detail eclectic-tech: in Rainmeter those are not lines, but options. You add the semicolon to the start of options, not to the start of lines (hope you don't mind).
To be fair, a semicolon just comments out any line in the .ini, so it is ignored by Rainmeter. It might be an option ;FontSize=20 or it might be a section name ;[MyMeter] or it might just be a comment ;Don't forget to floss!. So you are not wrong, but I might express it as "use a semicolon on these lines, to ignore these options.".
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I'm not sure yet how to react to this whole thing. In theory, the only difference between the original poster, where this skin suite causes crashes, and everyone else so far, where it doesn't, is that the original poster is on the latest Insider Preview of Windows. I'm not yet convinced that that is the root of the issue though, as lots of people are in the Insider Preview program, and we still only have one report of any issues with existing skins.

I withhold judgement on even LocalFont being a real issue with the Insider Preview, until we have others with the same problem. It is possible, although nothing is certain, that there is something else, specific to the original poster's system, that is the root of the problem(s).

Elegance 2 is really old, and uses some deprecated code, but that shouldn't matter. Deprecated doesn't mean "doesn't work". While it is certainly not beyond the realm of possibility that Windows has changed something that impacts Rainmeter, I'd like to see some others on the latest Insider Preview test and report on how this skin suite works for them before jumping to too many conclusions.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: November 16th, 2018, 2:38 pm To be fair, a semicolon just comments out any line in the .ini, so it is ignored by Rainmeter.
Right. What I meant was that in Rainmeter we don't have lines but options. But yes, I forgot about the existence of section names and eventually some other stuffs...