It is currently April 18th, 2024, 7:41 pm

[Suggestion] Change the Browse For Folder window

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Jeff

[Suggestion] Change the Browse For Folder window

Post by Jeff »

Hello there devs, I have a request for you!

Request: Change the Browse for folder window in the Rainmeter Installer (not SkinInstall, but the NSIS app that installs the software) to a newer API since Win XP is discontinued and Vista upwards has a better replacement

Story:
Hehe, last time I saw this window was on Windows XP.
Since Rainmeter is now supported only on Win 7 (or Vista) upwards, I think you should change it to the better, MUCH BETTER Browse For Folder/Select Folder

:17drums *drum roll please* :17drums

:17spot2 __________________________________________________:17spot1
Now THIS, this is beautiful.

Resources: If I'm not mistaken, the last example photo is IFileOpenDialog with the FOS_PICKFOLDERS.
https://github.com/rainmeter/rainmeter/blob/master/Build/Installer/Installer.nsi#L391 I think this might be the thing you guys need to change since it's the only thing that has Select and Folder and seems like some Windows APi

Fun Fact: Windows XP and SkinInstaller have SHBrowseForFolderA and SHBrowseForFolderW, which is a hybrid of the horrible thing in the first pic and the window from the second pic

Apologies: Sorry for the horrible format of the suggestion.
Last edited by Jeff on October 16th, 2018, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff

Re: [Suggestion] Change the Browse For Folder window

Post by Jeff »

Still related to the app installer, someone either forgot to change this or this is the year when Rainmeter got relicensed, who knows.
Brian
Developer

Re: [Suggestion] Change the Browse For Folder window

Post by Brian »

Jeff wrote:Request: Change the Browse for folder window in the Rainmeter Installer (not SkinInstall, but the NSIS app that installs the software) to a newer API since Win XP is discontinued and Vista upwards has a better replacement.
Yeah, we use NSIS to build the installer, and rarely look at that code. We may look into this before the next final release.

Jeff wrote:Still related to the app installer, someone either forgot to change this or this is the year when Rainmeter got relicensed, who knows.
I dropped the ball on this, and will correct it before the next final release. We went years without changing it and I wanted to keep it current, but it slipped through.

-Brian