It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 10:36 pm

Geocentric Tellurion

Skins with graphics and animations
Mordasius

Geocentric Tellurion

Post by Mordasius »

This is the Tellurion that I've been fiddling around with ever since 'Stone' translated the C-source code for calculation of moonrise and moonset to Lua.

The fun part is the Fast-Forward animation you get by clicking on the center control button. This sends the images spinning around at a rate of one day every 7-8 seconds. Sure the moon sometimes sticks and/or stutters on days when the moon doesn't rise/set but i couldn't work out how to fix it so lets just put it down to a lack of Lua-brication and move on.
Thanks to:

Stone for translating the C-source code for moonrise and moonset calculations to Lua.
Mirage for testing the adaptations of StonesMoon.lua and pointing out an error in the calculation of timezone.
moshi for reminding us that the moon's image needs to be rotated according to the observer's latitude.

I'm still working on a set-the-date addon to work with the fast-forward. That will be in ver 2.0 if I ever get around to finishing it.
moshi

Re: Geocentric Tellurion

Post by moshi »

nice one. love the fast-forward view. :)

(the font is missing)
moshi

Post by moshi »

looking at your preview, you might like MiniCap which is cool for doing screenshots of irregular windows with alphatransparency. it supports commandline arguments, so it works nice with Rainmeter.

i use it like this:

Code: Select all

["C:\Program Files (x86)\MiniCap\MiniCap.exe" -save "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Desktop\screenshot-$nicename$-$datetime$-$uniquenum0$.png" -exit]
http://is.gd/c1rTDm

screenshot-Rainmeter-19.04.2013 , 20_28_49-001.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

moshi wrote:... you might like MiniCap which is cool for doing screenshots of irregular windows with alphatransparency.
You're right. Minicap makes it a doddle to take screenshots of irregularly shaped skins and save them as .png files without having to go through Photoshop.
moshi wrote:(the font is missing)
Oops. I forget that many of the fonts I use were installed with Microsoft Office and are not regular windows fonts.
Stone

Post by Stone »

- Very nice !!! (I had to decrease 'tStep' a little, to get a better look at all
the shade/light details in fast-forward.)

There's something with the Moonset-times; they (sometimes) seems to be a little 'late'?
I think it happens every time the Moon doesn't set on a day; then the next days
the Tellurion's Moonset-times are more than 20 minutes later than the actual
Moonset-time. (The last time the Moon didn't set here was a few days ago on
April 14th - that's how i discovered it).
Other dates where the Moon doesn't set: 14/4, 13/5, 13/6, 16/7
gives the same result (for location Copenhagen).

(The 'AutoDetect' works perfect, so that's not the problem).
- Stone
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

Stone wrote: There's something with the Moonset-times; they (sometimes) seems to be a little 'late'? I think it happens every time the Moon doesn't set on a day; then the next days the Tellurion's Moonset-times are more than 20 minutes later than the actual Moonset-time.
Yes. I see what you mean. That comes about from trying to get a smooth transition at moonrise / moonset when the times occur close to midnight (as they do on the days before / days after days with no moonrise / moonset). I was working on the fast forward animation and hadn't checked back on the positions being shown when the skin was using the current o.s. time.

Thanks for picking that up. I've posted a quick fix on Deviant Art - please check to see how that looks in Copenhagen.
Stone

Post by Stone »

- It looks great now..

- actually i hadn't noticed the graphics-related problem you just corrected; I was just
talking about the Moon-icon's TooltipText (For example today Tellurion's tooltip says
moonset at 4.12 am, when the actual moonset is at 3.53 am).

Sorry about the misunderstanding - I'll be a little more specific next time :D
- Stone
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

Stone wrote:I was just talking about the Moon-icon's TooltipText (For example today Tellurion's tooltip says moonset at 4.12 am, when the actual moonset is at 3.53 am)
Actually, that's deliberate. The tooltip is set to show the time of the next moonrise and next moonset rather than those for the current day. The calculated times for Copenhagen are:

Date . - moonrise moonset
21 Apr 2013 - 15:10 03:53
22 Apr 2013 - 16:27 04:12

So if the time is later than 03:53 on 21st April the tooltip will show the next moonrise as 15:10 and the next moonset as 04:12. You can check this from the times on www.timeanddate.com.
Stone

Post by Stone »

OK i agree on the calculated times now - just didn't know
that your skin showed the next rise/set times.
- Stone
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

Glad that is sorted, but I have to admit that I rarely have the Tellurion showing positions at the current time and therefore pay no attention to the tooltips. I usually launch the Tellurion on fast forward while I'm listening to music or a radio channel and then sit here going "come on moon" even though I know she is going to be overtaken by the sun sooner rather than later.