It is currently March 29th, 2024, 10:36 am

Negative Space

Media controls, music players, video and animated visualizers
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Negative Space

Post by jsmorley »

kylergs wrote: Does that matter with BarImage? I had inadvertently already done that with everything except the VU-Bars. I'll have it remove the option from the style when it changes them
No, nothing to do with BarImage. That never resizes the images, and they are always, and must be, the size of the actual image file.
kylergs

Post by kylergs »

jsmorley wrote:No, nothing to do with BarImage. That never resizes the images, and they are always, and must be, the size of the actual image file.
Alright, other than the album cover, everything is using correctly sized images. Thanks for the help
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Glad to help. I don't want to overstate the case for the whole image resizing thing. In testing, it looks to me that while it does indeed make a difference, in the grand scheme of things it may not be decisive.

I created a skin with 50 image meters and Update=20, and had a mouse over/leave action toggle W and H on and off. The difference in CPU was visible, but certainly not huge. Rainmeter went from using about 1% of CPU (even with all my other skins still running) to about 2% when W and H were "on".
kylergs

Post by kylergs »

Well, the CPU usage isn't at 8% any more so it should be OK.
Since you're a mod there as well, do you think it's okay to post the updated version to the subreddit?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I don't have any opinion on Reddit. I am a mod there, but to be honest rarely go on, and don't want to speak for whatever their rules are.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Update to my test...

Wow. I did discover that with my test skin:

50 image meters, Update=20, W and H set to the actual size of the image.

Turning off or on the W and H seemed to make minimal difference.

HOWEVER

If I added DynamicVariables=1 to the meters, then the difference becomes astronomical. The skin goes from using 1% to 2% of CPU when W and H is off / on to using 1% to 30% of CPU when W and H is off / on.

So the key here is that W and H indeed make a huge difference, but only if you have DynamicVariables set on the Image meter.
kylergs

Post by kylergs »

jsmorley wrote:Update to my test...

Wow. I did discover that with my test skin:

50 image meters, Update=20, W and H set to the actual size of the image.

Turning off or on the W and H seemed to make minimal difference.

HOWEVER

If I added DynamicVariables=1 to the meters, then the difference becomes astronomical. The skin goes from using 1% to 2% of CPU when W and H is off / on to using 1% to 30% of CPU when W and H is off / on.

So the key here is that W and H indeed make a huge difference, but only if you have DynamicVariables set on the Image meter.

I'll look into that, I should make sure those two features never overlap
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Here is my test:
SizeTest_1.0.rmskin
Mouse Off:
1.jpg
Mouse Over:
2.jpg
The more the difference between W and H and the actual image size is, the worse the impact is, If you zoom out a bunch of images and have DynamicVariables=1 on them, you can really tear up the CPU.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

Thanks jsmorley for your test, never noticed something like this, but the update in my skins is (almost) always 1000 (if not -1), so I can think that this is noticeable only with updates minor than default.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

fonpaolo wrote:Thanks jsmorley for your test, never noticed something like this, but the update in my skins is (almost) always 1000 (if not -1), so I can think that this is noticeable only with updates minor than default.
Right. While the impact exists at any Update rate other than -1, it is only going to be noticeable if the Update is pretty low. Mostly this is all about fine tuning a skin that needs to work hard.