Dark Side of the Moon Visualizer

Media controls, music players, video and animated visualizers
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Dark Side of the Moon Visualizer

Post by SilverAzide »

DSOTM.png
A Visualizer for Rainmeter.

One of the greatest progressive rock albums of all time is Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon (1973). After the album's release, it remained on the Billboard Top 100 charts in the US for a whopping 954 weeks (that's more than 18 years and 4 months!).

Anyone who's heard of Pink Floyd, or The Dark Side of the Moon (aka, DSOTM), has certainly seen one of the most iconic album covers ever made: completely black, with no title or name of the band, just a prism refracting a beam of white light. Inside the gatefold cover, along with the song lyrics, the refracted light beam continues across -- with the signature "heartbeat" -- and wraps around to the back cover. The back contains another prism, concentrating the prismatic rays back into a white ray of light which wraps around to the front, to start the cycle over again.

Back in 2018, I decided to celebrate the 45th anniversary of the album by creating a visualizer in the style of the album cover, using nothing but Shape meters and math. Ha! I never completed the task due to the complexity involved, but I finally completed it over a long weekend in 2020. While not quite as cool as the real thing, this visualizer comes as close as I can get without a gatefolding double-sided monitor.

Features
NOTE: Because this visualizer spans the complete width of your monitor, it is set to "click-through" so as to not interfere with your Windows desktop. The downside is that there is no way to interact with the skin. A Settings skin is provided and must be loaded either with the Rainmeter Manage dialog or by using the Rainmeter taskbar icon to select it.

Also, this skin is a visualizer only. It cannot and will not control your media player. You can use your preferred player skin for this task.

Configuration
Settings.png
There are only a few simple settings for the visualizer.
  • Click the moon to toggle the visualizer on/off.
  • Select your preferred media player from the list (these are players supported natively by Rainmeter).
  • Queue up the album (preferably the remastered 5.1 mix), turn out the lights, and crank the volume! (Also playing the Wizard of Oz is optional.)
  • Keep your eyes peeled for easter eggs... :wink:
For best appearance, and to show the world how much of a die-hard Floyd fan you are, set your desktop wallpaper to solid black, like the album cover. Lesser fans can opt for a near-black desktop, though you may invite mild derision for your lack of dedication.

Requirements
Rainmeter 4.4.0 or later.

Attribution License
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Dark Side of the Moon Visualizer

Post by balala »

Looking good (as all your visualizers, by the way), however I have a question and a comment.
So, the question: if the skin doesn't control the media player app and doesn't even show the name of artist and/or the title, does worth to set the media player? The skin nowhere uses the valuies returned by the NowPlaying measures ([MeasurePlayer], [MeasureAlbum], [MeasureTitle] and so on), me at least couldn't find such a thing. So, why to set it?
The comment: on the settings skin, I'd modify a little bit the code of the Close button. Originally this button is aligned to right and when you're hovering the mouse over it, it is set to bold, extending a little bit horizontally and this doesn't look good (however I admit this is just my opinion). Same when you're leaving the button. I'd center the button and additionally I'd set a size for the meter and would renounce to the [\x00A0] symbols in the Text option. This is how I'd set this button:

Code: Select all

[MeterCloseButton]
StringAlign=CenterCenter
Text=Close
X=(#BgWidth# - 40)
Y=(#BgHeight# - 24)
W=50
H=20
For me personally at least, it looks much better this way.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

balala wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 11:28 am So, the question: if the skin doesn't control the media player app and doesn't even show the name of artist and/or the title, does worth to set the media player? The skin nowhere uses the valuies returned by the NowPlaying measures ([MeasurePlayer], [MeasureAlbum], [MeasureTitle] and so on), me at least couldn't find such a thing. So, why to set it?
You'll find out if you play the album... ;-)
balala wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 11:28 am The comment: on the settings skin, I'd modify a little bit the code of the Close button. Originally this button is aligned to right and when you're hovering the mouse over it, it is set to bold, extending a little bit horizontally and this doesn't look good (however I admit this is just my opinion). Same when you're leaving the button. I'd center the button and additionally I'd set a size for the meter and would renounce to the [\x00A0] symbols in the Text option. This is how I'd set this button:

For me personally at least, it looks much better this way.
Agreed, that is much better, thanks for the observation! Fixed in the next release!
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

SilverAzide wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 3:20 pm You'll find out if you play the album... ;-)
I don't have it, so I'm not sure, but doesn't even matter too much.