It is currently April 25th, 2024, 4:32 pm

Verse of the Day

RSS, ATOM and other feeds, GMail, Stocks, any information retrieved from the internet
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Verse of the Day

Post by balala »

simsrw73 wrote: February 27th, 2019, 8:39 pm I would greatly appreciate any feedback/suggestions.
A few considerations, if permitted:
  • The VotD-TextOnly.ini skin gives me an error in the log. When loaded, in the log I get this:
    !UpdateMeasure: [MeterVotDText] not found (Faithlife\VotD\VotD-TextOnly.ini)
    This is caused by the !UpdateMeasure bang of the FinishAction option (FinishAction=[!UpdateMeasure "MeterVotDText"]) of [MeasureVotDSite] measure. It tries to update a meter ([MeterVotDText]) with an !UpdateMeasure bang and this gives the error. Probably you should have to replace the !UpdateMeasure bang with an !UpdateMeter and also add a [!Redraw] bang: FinishAction=[!UpdateMeasure "MeterVotDText"][!Redraw].
  • Usually is a good idea to place all files used and included by and into the skin, into the @Resources folder. Although you have a @Resources folder, but many files are included into the VotD folder. I'd suggest to move them into the @Resources and modify the codes accordingly.
Otherwise the skins are working well. I'm glad if this is your first skin. Means you've learned a few things about Rainmeter. Keep working and have success.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Verse of the Day

Post by balala »

simsrw73 wrote: February 28th, 2019, 1:06 am D’oh! That was stupid on my part. I’ve been staring at the log screen for a couple days. I don’t know how I missed checking it again before posting. That FinishAction, I scribbled in in a hurry while tracking down another issue, intending to come back and test. I thought that meter was updating a cycle later than needed.
Yep, it happens sometimes to all of us, I think.
simsrw73 wrote: February 28th, 2019, 1:06 am The inc files I wasn’t sure about. I had considered both options but didn’t remember if there was a best practice mentioned in the docs. Both seemed good options for one reason or other and I just picked the one that seemed most right to me.
Using the @Resources folder and storing the resources (such as images, sounds, not talking about fonts used by the skins) into that folder is a very good habit. Especially if you want to use more skins, which should share some resources. Details: https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual-beta/skins/resources-folder/