It is currently April 26th, 2024, 2:36 am

IRC Emulator - Rainmeter Chat by JoBu

RSS, ATOM and other feeds, GMail, Stocks, any information retrieved from the internet
JoBu

IRC Emulator - Rainmeter Chat by JoBu

Post by JoBu »

IRC Emulator by JoBu

The IRC Emulator, brought to you by Pokemon. Catch em all.

It's in the title. A kind of chat group, parsing a txt file stored in a DropBox folder that's shared out to... whoever you invite. Basically, like a shared DropBox folder, it allows for the linking of files and realtime sync across users. The skin takes advantage of that in order to emulate an IRC type chat window that sits on your desktop, using very few resources.

If you have DropBox on your mobile device, you can update the chat on the go too. ;)

Couple things.

1. You need to have DropBox installed on your computer.

2. You need to access your DropBox on the Web and select/create a folder that you can share.

3. You have to have a folder that you're willing to completely share to whoever you invite. Once there, they own the folder too.

4. You need to install the IRCEmu.rmskin and load the Setup skin to your desktop. Enter your name and the ChatLog.txt path (local).

-- that is to say, you need to input the local path to that shared DropBox folder. Ex: "C:\Users\MYNAME\Dropbox\Logs(SHAREFOLDER)\ChatLog.txt(TXTFILE)

5. Now you can go back to the DropBox website, highlight the shared folder and click "Shared Folder Options" in the bar at the top.

6. Enter the email of others you want to chat with. They must have DropBox Installed and Rainmeter\IRCEmulator installed too.

-- if they have DropBox and Rainmeter, once you send them an invite, drop the IRCEmu.rmskin in the folder... they can run it there.

7. Once they have the Emulator installed and running, start typing.

**Note** Until such a time as a standard for creating scrollable skins is in place, you must wipe the chat window prior to the text passing the Skin dimensions (to avoid chatting and not seeing it). Clicking the Icon on the top right of the skin will automate this function. To backup the ChatLog prior to the wipe, click the other top right Icon (there are Tooltips to help you). ChatLogSave.txt (the backup) is located in the IRCEmu skin folder.

DISCLAIMER: While the good people at DropBox have a great system for keeping things secure, know that you are sharing a folder completely with whoever you invite. If they frag whatever files are in that folder, that's on you. I take no responsibility for frag, splash or other types of damage done to you or your data. They are only allowed access to that folder, nothing more. But that folder they can do anything to, so be aware.

Enjoy and please post questions and comments here in the thread.

Cheers,

//JoBu
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: IRC Emulator - Rainmeter Chat by JoBu

Post by jsmorley »

Pretty spiffy... Nice work!
JoBu

Post by JoBu »

And thanks for all the help!
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

I had the privilege of testing this earlier, and it's a pretty remarkable feat. If you use Dropbox to share folders with other collaborators - and you use Rainmeter - I really recommend giving this a try.
theonciest

Post by theonciest »

Is there perhaps any way to use this with HexChat? (Xchat)? Atleast can you make a way to have it connect to actual IRC servers? Like this is basic coding... I don't know coding, so I can't say much... but I imagine it should be easy to figure something out for this. You just have a complicated way of reading .log files. I need something EXACTLY like this

It has always been very hard for me to figure out the coding of this stuff.
theonciest

Post by theonciest »

I have figured out that by keeping it the way it is, and changing these lines
[MeasureChat]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=QuotePlugin
PathName=C:\Users\Easyhome\AppData\Roaming\HexChat\logs\Twitch-ChannelChat-#chiffonjaguar.log
Disabled=0
Separator=¶

[MeasureInput]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=InputText.dll
SolidColor=0,0,0,250
StringAlign=LEFT
StringCase=NONE
StringStyle=BOLD
StringEffect=SHADOW
FontEffectColor=0,0,0,150
FontColor=#Color#
FontFace=#Font#
FontSize=#Size#
X=10
Y=575
W=398
H=17
DefaultValue=""
FocusDismiss=1
Command1=!Execute ["#CURRENTPATH#WriteInput.exe" "#ChatPath#" "Append=1" "#User#: $UserInput$"][!CommandMeasure "MeasureInput" "ExecuteBatch 1]
Command2=!Execute ["C:\Users\Easyhome\AppData\Roaming\HexChat\logs\Twitch-ChannelChat-#chiffonjaguar.log"]
Command3=!Execute ["#CURRENTPATH#WriteInput.exe" "#ChatPath#" "Append=0" "Connected"]
UpdateDivider=86400
It actually updates everything on Twitch and puts it into that window. The only problem is that it doesn't have a scroll, or any kind of way to erasing itself. Despite the "clear chatlog window" this is almost exactly what I need guys, but it needs to be smaller and look like this -attachment-

Like names on the left and their text on the right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JoBu

Post by JoBu »

You took it from being an IRC Emulator to being an IRC Client :)

I think someone on the forum was working on a scroll bar for skins, you might search for that and try to implement it into the skin.

That's great that you did it - but it's much more than I ever planned to do with it. I actually created it just for a gaming group I play with - so for my purposes it works well as is... but you're more than welcome to expand it to your own needs. If along the way you have a direct question like "How do I use this to get this" then just post it here in the forums (new thread - the Skins/Help forum) and we'll help out where we can.

I think that's a brilliant idea though, hope it works out!

Cheers,

//JoBu
theonciest

Post by theonciest »

Thank you very much for this man, I have many ideas, just no idea on how to code. So I will take this to the forums. Sorry for necro-post btw, didn't realize until now. :)

Take care!
irk

Post by irk »

Can anyone help me figure out how to get my inputs into the rainmeter to show up into HexChat? I got the logs to show up in the rainmeter, just can't chat with it. Also, I can't get the chat to clear... but it would be nice to have it scroll if someone knows the code for that...