It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:45 pm

⭐ Weather.com

Weather skins
gerryex

Re: ⭐ Weather.com

Post by gerryex »

jsmorley wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 10:11 pm Honestly, I don't know what is going on. It's clear that there is some kind of issue with the JSON being populated in the site HTML, but only for some people. It is likely based on where you are being routed based on your detected IP address, or in some other way specific to the "location" of the device you are accessing it from, but even that is not certain.

I can't offer you any advice really, other than to just wait and see if this doesn't self-correct in some period of time. I can't even begin to know what is wrong with the JSON, or how to do anything about it, even temporarily, as all skins that use the JSON from weather.com just work fine for me, and I never had any issue at all.
I appreciate your input as I know you guys put in a lot of time to design these skins. (Before I retired i used to be heavily involved in many software projects. None web based but still complex software.)

What is this JSON mentioned many times. Is there some kind of debugging mechanism i can use to narrow down what the problem may be?

Thanks,
Gerry
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

gerryex wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 10:21 pm I appreciate your input as I know you guys put in a lot of time to design these skins. (Before I retired i used to be heavily involved in many software projects. None web based but still complex software.)

What is this JSON mentioned many times. Is there some kind of debugging mechanism i can use to narrow down what the problem may be?

Thanks,
Gerry
No, not easily. There is a huge chunk of JSON code embedded in the HTML that is returned by the site. That JSON is what I am parsing to get the information. There isn't any easy way to do it really, you just have to use something like RainRegExp and keep adding to a RegExp statement, and testing it to see if you get back what you expect. When it fails, that's where a problem is. It's really not for the faint of heart, and while not rocket science, is long and laborious at best.

My advice is that you don't try to fix this right now. If we were all having the same issue, I would have my sleeves rolled up and be digging through it as we speak. While nothing is certain, my guess is that this is a short-term issue with them, and it will correct itself in a short period of time. What would be the point of finding some work-around or something then?
gerryex

Post by gerryex »

jsmorley wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 10:39 pm No, not easily. There is a huge chunk of JSON code embedded in the HTML that is returned by the site. That JSON is what I am parsing to get the information. There isn't any easy way to do it really, you just have to use something like RainRegExp and keep adding to a RegExp statement, and testing it to see if you get back what you expect. When it fails, that's where a problem is. It's really not for the faint of heart, and while not rocket science, is long and laborious at best.

My advice is that you don't try to fix this right now. If we were all having the same issue, I would have my sleeves rolled up and be digging through it as we speak. While nothing is certain, my guess is that this is a short-term issue with them, and it will correct itself in a short period of time. What would be the point of finding some work-around or something then?
OK, thanks again for the info. I'll just keep on trying various skins over the next few days and if i find anything that has changed I'll post here.

Thanks again,
Gerry
nbtc971

Post by nbtc971 »

Well this sucks. It's not working for me in Dallas, Texas. My guess is they changed something and it hasn't completely propagated and within the next couple of days, everyone's weather widget will be useless.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

nbtc971 wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 2:45 am Well this sucks. It's not working for me in Dallas, Texas. My guess is they changed something and it hasn't completely propagated and within the next couple of days, everyone's weather widget will be useless.
That is a possibility. If and when it hits me, I can take a look at what is different and hopefully deal with it. Right now, I'm still fine.
AllBlackZebras

Post by AllBlackZebras »

I have had the same issue the past couple days: Weather Meter is blank and says "...Connecting..." at the bottom. Location is rural South Dakota, US. Only my main machine, which runs Windows 7, has this problem. Three Windows 10 PCs still work fine.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

AllBlackZebras wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 5:14 amOnly my main machine, which runs Windows 7, has this problem. Three Windows 10 PCs still work fine.
Running the same skin(s)? :jawdrop How can this be? Do all your PCs connect through the same host / router / internet provider?
I run Win10 by the way and it "doesn't work" (well, it works, just different data received that breaks the parsing).
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
AllBlackZebras

Post by AllBlackZebras »

Same skin, same router, same ISP for all of them. To get weather back on my Win7 desktop, I had to switch to a skin with Foreca as the source. It functions properly, but I do miss that Weather Meter.
Last edited by AllBlackZebras on May 23rd, 2020, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

AllBlackZebras wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 9:21 am Same skin, same router, same ISP for all of them. To get weather back on my Win7 desktop, I had to switch to a gadget with Foreca as the source. It functions properly, but I do miss that Weather Meter.
I see. That's odd.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
pul53dr1v3r

Post by pul53dr1v3r »

Hi guys. The issue started to happen to me from yesterday, with the all JSON Weather.com based skins i had installed, including the morley's. The same was with my Rainformer Weather skin. The only thing that worked was location, everything else was empty whatever i did.
Compared the current JSON code of the site, but seems unchanged.
Also, some users of my suite reported the issue from yesterday.

Finally, after many tries to find out what's the cause of it, i scanned my PC with CCleaner and seems it SOLVED the issue. Now everything is working flawlessly from that very moment.
I also did a Registry scan.

Here are the settings i use in CCleaner: