It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:30 pm

⭐ Weather.com

Weather skins
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: ⭐ Weather.com

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 9:03 pm My guess, and it's only a guess, is that sometime, a few days ago, weather.com had some issue with their site, and whatever error they introduced just does not work and play well with Internet Explorer. Really, what does... Since WebParser relies on the API's for Internet Explorer, whatever was stuck in the cache or cookies that was causing problems just wouldn't go away, since why in the world would you ever bother to empty your IE cache or cookies?

I'm equally suspicious of an IE "cookie" as I am something in the "cache", and that might explain why Disk Cleanup might not work. It does not clean up cookies.

CCleaner at least, and maybe other approaches for cleaning up IE seem to correct the issue.

I hypothesize that this was a one-time event, since after you run CCleaner and correct it, it doesn't just come right back, and at least so far, never comes back again.

Like every site, except for Rainmeter's, there are a ton of advertising inserts in the code for weather.com. The problem could easily have been with one of those, that in theory weather.com has little control over. Hard to say.

Now I never saw the issue, since as I said, I have CCleaner tied to my Recycle Bin, and so run it dozens of times a day. Presumably I got the issue as well when everyone else did, but corrected it before it even had a chance to manifest itself. I was asymptomatic...
That hypothesis would somewhat explain why I kept getting the "raw" JSON data in WebParser instead of the actual page source visible in the browser. If "more than a cookie" became stuck in WebParser's (well, actually, IE's) "cache" or whatever, maybe it produced this side result... :confused:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

dvo wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 8:37 pm i have read a couple of statements that ccleaner worked for them ... in my case to ... :)

and your statement of :
Disk Cleanup specifically cleans up the IE cache and IE temporary files

no disk cleanup doesn't clean cache or temps .... ccleaner does ....
I'm not sure why everyone is using CCleaner for something you can do easily from IExplorer itself. CCleaner used to be great but it has been mostly redundant and behaves suspiciously for some time now. Power users now recommend against it.

https://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-review/why-you-shouldnt-download-ccleaner-for-windows-anymore/

I just opened IExplorer (on Windows 10), went to Tools->Internet Options, and on the General Tab under Browsing History hit the Delete Button. Leave all the options at their defaults and hit the Delete button again. VClouds Weather 2 works perfectly again. No need to install CCleaner just for this fix.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

To each his own certainly. I'm not strongly recommending CCleaner, but for myself, I have always liked it. I like having a "one stop shop" to do all that kind of cleanup that sure, you can do other ways, but while I love fiddling with my PC, there is a limit to how much time I want to spend finding and deleting stuff that CCleaner can do with one right-click of my Recycle Bin.

Keeping your PC lean and mean was pretty easy back in the DOS days, but it's becoming increasingly hard and time consuming to find all the little rugs that Windows sweeps trash under and pretty much just leaves there forever.

As to Internet Explorer, I sorta have an objection in principle against EVER even starting it up. I haven't done so in many years.

I don't use any of the other "tools" they bloated it up with, so yeah, CCleaner is a bit bulky for what I use it for, but I have like six terabytes of hard drive space, so I think I can find a corner of that to squeeze that 50MB into. It's throwing a pebble into the Grand Canyon really.

I'm not any happier than anyone that CCleaner sold out and just said "suck it monkeys, we're going corporate!" a few years ago, and I hardly hold them up as a paragon of virtue at this point, but I haven't found anything any better that is as thorough, and can easily be automated from the command line. I'm always open to suggestion.
gerryex

Post by gerryex »

slartibartfast wrote: May 24th, 2020, 12:46 am I'm not sure why everyone is using CCleaner for something you can do easily from IExplorer itself. CCleaner used to be great but it has been mostly redundant and behaves suspiciously for some time now. Power users now recommend against it.

https://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-review/why-you-shouldnt-download-ccleaner-for-windows-anymore/

I just opened IExplorer (on Windows 10), went to Tools->Internet Options, and on the General Tab under Browsing History hit the Delete Button. Leave all the options at their defaults and hit the Delete button again. VClouds Weather 2 works perfectly again. No need to install CCleaner just for this fix.
I tried exactly that but it did not work! I'm not crazy about having to install CCleaner but after I ran it the weather skin started working.

Gerry
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

gerryex wrote: May 24th, 2020, 1:55 am I tried exactly that but it did not work! I'm not crazy about having to install CCleaner but after I ran it the weather skin started working.

Gerry
You might prefer BleachBit, which can be downloaded as a portable app and doesn't need to be installed.

https://www.bleachbit.org/download/windows

It does pretty much what CCleaner does as far as "cleanup" goes, and has the charm of being just that, and not a lot of extra bloat.
gerryex

Post by gerryex »

jsmorley wrote: May 24th, 2020, 2:02 am You might prefer BleachBit, which can be downloaded as a portable app and doesn't need to be installed.

https://www.bleachbit.org/download/windows

It does pretty much what CCleaner does as far as "cleanup" goes, and has the charm of being just that, and not a lot of extra bloat.
Thanks for the suggestion and I'll take a look at it. But since I already installed CC and I had used it extensively in the past I'll probably stick with it.

Gerry
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

gerryex wrote: May 24th, 2020, 2:06 am Thanks for the suggestion and I'll take a look at it. But since I already installed CC and I had used it extensively in the past I'll probably stick with it.

Gerry
Yeah, I like CCleaner. They had a bit of a rough patch a couple of years ago, when they were bought by Avast, but I think they have gotten their act together pretty well.
iron2000

Post by iron2000 »

Ok, deleted the IE cache via the Internet Options cpl and it worked!
Weather is back!
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

While I haven't ran into this issue so I can't test it, I wonder if anyone has tried the ForceReload=1 on the parent webparser measure.
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/measures/webparser/#ForceReload

-Brian
AllBlackZebras

Post by AllBlackZebras »

This worked for me on Windows 7:

Control Panel -> Internet Options/Properties -> Delete Browsing History -> uncheck the option to preserve favorites, then check all the others to delete everything -> Delete

After a long wait for the deletions to complete, I then loaded Weather Meter, and it connected without issue. Thanks for the information, everyone!