It is currently April 25th, 2024, 9:11 am

TidesUK - a Gnometer style Tide indicator

Weather skins
barcud

TidesUK - a Gnometer style Tide indicator

Post by barcud »

Hi,

here is a small tide perdiction tool I came up with.
It is using tidetimes.org.uk and generates a little Gnometer style tide prediction window like this:
TidesUK.png
I chose tidetimes.org.uk because they seem to be the most accurate around the UK.
So if anybody wants to give it a go here it is:
TidesUK.rmskin
It uses Lua to keep a tide table of one old and the next 3 tides up yo date. So I needed to get tomorrows date to get the new predictions from tidetimes. Really easy, I thought but I didn't really get there without Lua.
Lua is also used to set the bar on the left which indicates how far the tide is in/out.

Let me know if there are any problems or enhancements I could add.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Benjamin Linus

Re: TidesUK - a Gnometer style Tide indicator

Post by Benjamin Linus »

:thumbup: Thanks for this, very useful.
dv-ent

Post by dv-ent »

Indeed !
Pelagic01

Post by Pelagic01 »

Hello,
I have no experience writing code. But I would like to modify your tide meter so that It can display the tides of NY. I have a similar website to your "tidetimes", here is the link http://www.noreast.com/tidecharts/selectlocation.cfm?region_ID=33&

how can I edit your skin to display my tide stations?

-Thanks
Louitrilobite

Post by Louitrilobite »

Imagine my surprise, how does it know where I live!

: )

By some strange coincidence I happen to live near you.

Thanx for the skin tool thing, nicely done.
pino76

Post by pino76 »

Hi, I know it's been a few years since you posted this but I was so looking forward to using your skin but unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work (for me) at all - with or without changing the location in the ini file. The chart simply remains empty. Is there something in the code that perhaps needs to be updated? I would appreciate your reply very much..
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

pino76 wrote:Hi, I know it's been a few years since you posted this but I was so looking forward to using your skin but unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work (for me) at all - with or without changing the location in the ini file. The chart simply remains empty. Is there something in the code that perhaps needs to be updated? I would appreciate your reply very much..
The source for this skin is a web site HTML code. The problem with that is the slightest change to the web site code is going to break this skin. It is not unusual for a site to update their code several times a year or several times a month in some cases.

It's been 5 years since this author visited, so I thought I would jump in to explain why this may never work.

Sorry to say this skin will never work without a complete re-write, and even then, it may stop working at any time, if the web site changes. :17flag
pino76

Post by pino76 »

eclectic-tech wrote:The source for this skin is a web site HTML code. The problem with that is the slightest change to the web site code is going to break this skin. It is not unusual for a site to update their code several times a year or several times a month in some cases.

It's been 5 years since this author visited, so I thought I would jump in to explain why this may never work.

Sorry to say this skin will never work without a complete re-write, and even then, it may stop working at any time, if the web site changes. :17flag
Thank you very much for explaining this to me. It's a shame though, as there seems to be no alternative to this skin. I can only hope that someone eventually will rewrite it and make it work again..