It is currently April 24th, 2024, 12:15 pm

LuaCalendar: Looking for guinea pigs...

Clocks and timer skins
smurfier

LuaCalendar: Looking for guinea pigs...

Post by smurfier »

I need a few volunteers to test a beta version of LuaCalendar that changes how Event Files work.

The Events no longer automatically repeat. There are several options for making events repeat.
GitHub | DeviantArt | Tumblr
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .
Magictallguy

Re: LuaCalendar: Looking for guinea pigs...

Post by Magictallguy »

I'll guinea pig for you :)
(It is a valid spec, CanardPC just don't seem to realise this!)
Seahorse

Post by Seahorse »

Isn't this the third time you change these? Happy to see if I can break it for you ;)
"Regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"
Mike

My Skins at DeviantArt

Alex Becherer

Post by Alex Becherer »

first of all: this is super awesome!

but i think you are going into the wrong direction in creating a sophisticated event format here. even if you are going to create a user interface to create/manipulate events, it will stay insular.
nowadays as everybody uses multiple devices and stores calendar data in the cloud wouldn't it be smarter to read Google Calendar format?
Seahorse

Post by Seahorse »

Alex Becherer wrote:everybody uses multiple devices and stores calendar data in the cloud
I don't... :sly:
"Regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"
Mike

My Skins at DeviantArt

smurfier

Post by smurfier »

Alex Becherer wrote:first of all: this is super awesome!

but i think you are going into the wrong direction in creating a sophisticated event format here. even if you are going to create a user interface to create/manipulate events, it will stay insular.
nowadays as everybody uses multiple devices and stores calendar data in the cloud wouldn't it be smarter to read Google Calendar format?
I'm looking into opening support for the iCal format, but I cannot promise anything. First thing first, I need to make sure that the work I have done so far on repeating events works properly.

I'm also going to retain support for the xml style I have already adopted for those who do not use other programs that support the iCal file format.
GitHub | DeviantArt | Tumblr
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .
KreAch3R

Post by KreAch3R »

I can pig out for you, too. :)

@Alex, Google Calendar is something most of us want. Unfortunately, as it has been discussed before, Google has messed up their gcal feed, providing insane results depending on your last entries (not on the upcomming events). Until they can give us a better way of displaying our next events, our hands are tight.
Inactive, due to life changes. Send me a PM for any question.

Desktop DeviartArt
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Still no hick-ups while testing here :)

It appears from the Enigma 4 beta, that it is going to try to support the Google calendar:
http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12881
The Calendar skin now allows you to show holidays and events from any number of event files. They are formatted as .XML files, which you can easily edit yourself. In addition, the Google Calendar skins now have the option of automatically writing your next few appointments to an event file, so you can see your day's agenda as a tooltip in Calendar.
Getting iCal would be great :great:
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

eclectic-tech wrote:It appears from the Enigma 4 beta, that it is going to try to support the Google calendar
Smurfier actually wrote that feature. ;)

I think the XML approach is a good one. Rather than have one script try to parse many disparate formats, a two-stage system - in which you have separate functions to convert iCal, Google Calendar, et al. into XML, and then display from the XML - is more modular and easier to maintain.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

@Kaelri

Agreed!

I gathered from your post that Smurfier had a large part with Enigma 4...
I need to give special thanks to smurfier, who has been a huge help to me this cycle. Among many other things, he's contributed his latest features from LuaCalendar, and he's tightened up some of my code considerably. If you like what you see in Enigma 4, be sure to thank him.
And I almost forgot: @Smurfier THANKS A BUNCH!!! :thumbup: