It is currently March 29th, 2024, 1:59 pm

Made my first skin from scratch

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
joe0121

Re: Made my first skin from scratch

Post by joe0121 »

balala wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 6:50 pm That's a much versatile way to create backgrounds. Feel free to ask if you have any question.
versatile indeed. but complicated. Messing around with it now.

I got the look I was going for but I still had to manually just set the size of the shape. I know there is a scale option but it looks like it is more for scaling shape relative to each other then relative to a bunch of different string meters. Need to do more playing with that.

I also cleaned it up a bit by using another style for normal text instead of repeating it all in each meter. Which in hind site I should have done first but I already finished like three widgets before I realized the style option existed. :oops:
meter_shape.PNG

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=3000
AccurateText=1
DynamicWindowSize=1

[Metadata]
Name=Multi Core
Author= J. M. Dandrea
Information= simple skin to monitor system utilization
Version= 0.7 Beta
License=Creative Commons Attribution - Non - Commercial - Share Alike 3.0

[Variables]

[styleTitle]
StringAlign=Center
StringEffect=SHADOW
FontEffectColor=0,0,0
FontColor=0,204,51
FontFace=Courier New
FontWeight=900
FontSize=15
Padding=5,10,5,10

[styleText]
X=10
Y=0R
StringEffect=SHADOW
FontEffectColor=0,0,0
AntiAlias=1
FontColor=0,204,51
FontFace=Courier New
FontWeight=800
FontSize=10

[MeterShape]
Meter=Shape
Shape=Rectangle 0,0,360,120,15 | Fill Color 34,34,34,100 | StrokeWidth 6 | Stroke Color 0,204,51,100

[MeterString_name]
Meter=String
X=175
MeterStyle=styleTitle
Text=System Info

[MeasureOSVersion]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=SysInfo
SysInfoType=OS_VERSION
UpdateDivider=-1

[MeasureSystemName]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=SysInfo
SysInfoType=COMPUTER_NAME
UpdateDivider=-1

[MeterSysName]
Meter=String
MeterStyle=styleText
MeasureName=MeasureSystemName
Text=Host Name: %1

[MeterOS]
Meter=String
MeterStyle=styleText
MeasureName=MeasureOSVersion
Text=OS Version: %1

[MeasureDate]
Measure=Time
Format=%A, %b %#d, %Y

[MeterDate]
Meter=String
MeterStyle=styleText
MeasureName=MeasureDate
Text="Date: %1"

[MeasureUptime]
Measure=Uptime
Format="%4!i! days, %3!i! hours, %2!i! minutes"

[MeterUptime]
Meter=String
MeterStyle=styleText
MeasureName=MeasureUptime
Text="Uptime: %1"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

joe0121 wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 8:05 pm versatile indeed. but complicated. Messing around with it now.
Yeah, it might seem complicated at first, but it isn't too much. You have to get used with it.
joe0121 wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 8:05 pm I got the look I was going for but I still had to manually just set the size of the shape. I know there is a scale option but it looks like it is more for scaling shape relative to each other then relative to a bunch of different string meters. Need to do more playing with that.
Yep, a Shape meter doesn't know and probably doesn't even care too much about any String or other type of meters even of the same skin.
joe0121 wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 8:05 pm I also cleaned it up a bit by using another style for normal text instead of repeating it all in each meter. Which in hind site I should have done first but I already finished like three widgets before I realized the style option existed. :oops:
Using styles is always a useful approach when you have to use the same format of more same type meters.

And now a small remarc I have to do related to your code: it is a good idea to move the shape a little bit to right and down, otherwise its left and upper part will go outside of the skin, becoming invisible. If you take a look at your own posted image, you'll see that the left and upper edge is thinner then the right and downer ones. This is caused by the fact that the meter is placed too left and up. So you should increase its position in both directions with 1 - 2 pixels. For this increase the numbers representing the horizontal and vertical position, using for instance
Shape=Rectangle 2,2,360,120,15 | Fill Color 34,34,34,100 | StrokeWidth 6 | Stroke Color 0,204,51,100, instead of the original Shape=Rectangle 0,0,360,120,15 | Fill Color 34,34,34,100 | StrokeWidth 6 | Stroke Color 0,204,51,100:

Original:
System1.png
Modified:
System2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joe0121

Post by joe0121 »

balala wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 8:48 pm is always a useful approach when you have to use the same format of more same type meters.

And now a small remarc I have to do related to your code: it is a good idea to move the shape a little bit to right and down, otherwise its left and upper part will go outside of the skin, becoming invisible.
Thanks for the tip I noticed it was clipping but just hadn't gotten around to trying to fix it.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

joe0121 wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 9:05 pm Thanks for the tip I noticed it was clipping but just hadn't gotten around to trying to fix it.
It's not something obvious, being hard enough to figure out what's going on.
joe0121

Post by joe0121 »

Edit:

Created a background to go with the rest of the theme.

https://imgur.com/gallery/OxLS8A6

Any recommendations on a good free photo editing suite I can use to make a higher quality background with more realistic looking font something that looks like its actual glowing text on a console.
Donkuz

Post by Donkuz »

It Looks pretty Good to me Mate, Will it have other Color options too? Nice Work, the more hours you spend on it the more satisfaction you will have once your finished knowing you done your Best and it will show. Merry Christmas.
joe0121

Post by joe0121 »

Donkuz wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 6:51 am It Looks pretty Good to me Mate, Will it have other Color options too? Nice Work, the more hours you spend on it the more satisfaction you will have once your finished knowing you done your Best and it will show. Merry Christmas.
Merry Christmas to you. I mainly made it for my but I will eventually post it to deviant art. But making it configurable means creating a setting skin and using a config file so I need to learn a lot more to get to that point.
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

joe0121 wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 9:54 pm Edit:

Created a background to go with the rest of the theme.

https://imgur.com/gallery/OxLS8A6

Any recommendations on a good free photo editing suite I can use to make a higher quality background with more realistic looking font something that looks like its actual glowing text on a console.
GiMP is free and many say it is a close equal to photoshop in functionality - I use it often. Thing is the free version requires to export images rather than save as - same thing just with another step in there to choose your file type rather than banking right into a save in ??? format...
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.