It is currently March 29th, 2024, 2:27 pm

Gadgets 7.6.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Gadgets 6.1.1 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

Post by SilverAzide »

olenbr wrote: June 25th, 2021, 2:17 am
I'll take a look at this when I get a chance, probably later today. Can you also send your CpuVariables.inc file? If you modified the CpuMeter.lua script, I'll need that too.

From the screenshot you posted, why doesn't the skin show all 56 cores? The one I sent you should see them all, unless you've done something to force it to show only 28?
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

olenbr wrote: June 25th, 2021, 2:17 am
It would also be super helpful if you downloaded this utility and posted the output here (as text, not a screenshot):

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/coreinfo
olenbr

Post by olenbr »

SilverAzide wrote: June 25th, 2021, 1:00 pm I'll take a look at this when I get a chance, probably later today. Can you also send your CpuVariables.inc file? If you modified the CpuMeter.lua script, I'll need that too.

From the screenshot you posted, why doesn't the skin show all 56 cores? The one I sent you should see them all, unless you've done something to force it to show only 28?
thanks a lot for the continuous help.

the screenshot shows everything as default, brand new installed rainmeter, hwinfo and gadgets 6.1.1 with nothing edited. even the old files that I sent you with gadgets 5.5.1, only had those files edited and nothing else.

not sure why its not showing 56, the node messes with program in windows lol.

heres a video of coreinfo64 https://streamable.com/9ax17c
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

olenbr wrote: June 25th, 2021, 6:53 pm
OK, I checked the files you sent. They are the old v5.5.1 code, so they are not too helpful. I'm not sure why you duplicated the HWiNFO files; the original file was already preconfigured for dual socket machines. And I also see that you still did not configure the HWiNFO.inc file(s) for your system, all you changed was the sensor instance ID. The instructions in the file clearly outlines all the steps you need to take, so looks like you didn't enter any sensor IDs (not to be confused with "sensor instance IDs") nor any of the entry ID values for all your cores, clocks, fans, motherboard, etc. Unless your server rig is the same as my laptop, LOL... (The old 6.x HWiNFO is admittedly a huge pain to configure.)

I looked up your Xeon CPU; so you have a two 14C/28T CPUs, right? If so, Windows should be seeing 56 threads (i.e., "logical processors"). Please run the following two commands at a PowerShell prompt:

Code: Select all

Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_ComputerSystem | Select NumberOf*
Get-ChildItem env: | Where-Object {$_.Name -like 'NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS'}
You should get 56 and 2 with the first command, and 56 on the second. Please post the TEXT of any output, not a video. Your CoreInfo output looks like it sees both sockets and reports 28 hyperthreaded processors (for 56 total).

Finally, please post your HWiNFO.inc file and the CpuVariables.inc file for your v6.1.1 Gadgets. But before you send them, PLEASE configure your HWiNFO settings per the exact instructions on the Wiki pages I directed you to earlier. The instructions are also in the file itself (it's not the same process as the 6.x HWiNFO).
olenbr

Post by olenbr »

SilverAzide wrote: June 25th, 2021, 8:36 pm OK, I checked the files you sent. They are the old v5.5.1 code, so they are not too helpful. I'm not sure why you duplicated the HWiNFO files; the original file was already preconfigured for dual socket machines. And I also see that you still did not configure the HWiNFO.inc file(s) for your system, all you changed was the sensor instance ID. The instructions in the file clearly outlines all the steps you need to take, so looks like you didn't enter any sensor IDs (not to be confused with "sensor instance IDs") nor any of the entry ID values for all your cores, clocks, fans, motherboard, etc. Unless your server rig is the same as my laptop, LOL... (The old 6.x HWiNFO is admittedly a huge pain to configure.)

I looked up your Xeon CPU; so you have a two 14C/28T CPUs, right? If so, Windows should be seeing 56 threads (i.e., "logical processors"). Please run the following two commands at a PowerShell prompt:

Code: Select all

Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_ComputerSystem | Select NumberOf*
Get-ChildItem env: | Where-Object {$_.Name -like 'NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS'}
You should get 56 and 2 with the first command, and 56 on the second. Please post the TEXT of any output, not a video. Your CoreInfo output looks like it sees both sockets and reports 28 hyperthreaded processors (for 56 total).

Finally, please post your HWiNFO.inc file and the CpuVariables.inc file for your v6.1.1 Gadgets. But before you send them, PLEASE configure your HWiNFO settings per the exact instructions on the Wiki pages I directed you to earlier. The instructions are also in the file itself (it's not the same process as the 6.x HWiNFO).

ok im starting to get the hang of this, didn't know I had to manually set Hwinfo.inc to show information. previous versions were all auto detect so I assumed the same for 6.1.1. Still, it comes back to the same issue, the usage bar which isn't in hwinfo.inc and im not sure whats changing that, especially since changing node of program can affect usage bars.

I have attached a screenshot of what I mean, in the cpu meter, in green rectangle is what I can change in Hwinfo.inc and is affected by the indexes. but red rectangle isn't affected by it, what changes the red rectangle?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
olenbr

Post by olenbr »

im not sure how to post info in text from powershell, just screenshot if you prefer it over videos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

olenbr wrote: June 26th, 2021, 4:02 am ok im starting to get the hang of this, didn't know I had to manually set Hwinfo.inc to show information. previous versions were all auto detect so I assumed the same for 6.1.1. Still, it comes back to the same issue, the usage bar which isn't in hwinfo.inc and im not sure whats changing that, especially since changing node of program can affect usage bars.

I have attached a screenshot of what I mean, in the cpu meter, in green rectangle is what I can change in Hwinfo.inc and is affected by the indexes. but red rectangle isn't affected by it, what changes the red rectangle?
Actually, the HWiNFO-related stuff has never been auto-detect. There is no way to do that. I set some sensor ID values as defaults, but you've always needed to configure things for your own individual hardware.

So the green rectangle (temperatures) are controlled by your HWiNFO configuration, so it looks like you have that handled now. The items in red are controlled by the skin itself, and this is where the primary problem lies. (Thus all my annoying questions, LOL.) More on this below!
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

olenbr wrote: June 26th, 2021, 4:06 am im not sure how to post info in text from powershell, just screenshot if you prefer it over videos.
THANK YOU! This is great info!!

(You can copy text just by selecting with the mouse and hitting Ctrl-C, like normal. At least, you can in Win10/Server 2016. On your Server 2012 (?) machine you might need to click the window menu to select the Edit > Mark and Copy menus, I forget how that works in that version. Ctrl-M to mark?)

So, this is the key to one big problem (especially with the stuff in the red rectangle). I've never seen a machine where the NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS environment variable does not match the WMI NumberOfLogicalProcessors value. They are supposed to match, as far as I know. But then again, maybe it won't match because perhaps it is reporting the core count on the CPU the process is running on? Anyway, this finally answers the mystery of why the skin is only showing half of your cores. The CPU Meter looks at the NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS value to determine how to configure the skin. Because it is finding only half your cores, the skin is missing cores 29 to 56. And it is probably misconfiguring the 1-28 cores too, because things are mis-matched in the logic.

One quick fix is to open the Settings and check the option "Use Legacy mode". This will change the internal logic and may show activity for at least 28 cores. This might "partially fix" the skin I posted for you with 2 graphs (not sure).

Again, let me know if you want a single skin with 2 graphs, or a separate skin for each physical CPU... or if you just want the default skin to work LOL. Now that I understand your hardware, it makes more sense to me how this needs to work.

(And it tells me I need to fix the CPU Meter for the next release, so it does not rely on the NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS variable!)
APK17

Post by APK17 »

SilverAzide wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 12:29 am Sounds like a classic case of a corrupted performance counter database. The good news is it's not your fault and you can blame Microsoft... sometimes it just happens. :confused: But the best news is that it's super easy to fix:

HOW TO: Fix your Performance Counters database
I thank you for your reply but unfortunately this did not fix the issue of the missing per-core utilization bars.

Do you have any other ideas... a reset or logs/screenshot(s) I could post to assist?
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

APK17 wrote: June 26th, 2021, 7:40 pm I thank you for your reply but unfortunately this did not fix the issue of the missing per-core utilization bars.

Do you have any other ideas... a reset or logs/screenshot(s) I could post to assist?
That's strange; rebuilding your perf counters always works. Hmm. I guess I have to ask the usual questions:

Did you reboot your machine after rebuilding the counters (using the Restart option, especially if you have "fast start" or "hybrid shutdown" enabled)?
Have you made any changes to the skin? (If so, please reinstall the skins.)
If you open the Rainmeter About screen and check the log, do you see any errors?
You mentioned "missing per-core utilization bars"... you mean the whole bar is missing completely? Or they are there but just show no activity?
Do you have a machine with more than one CPU (i.e., a dual socket motherboard)?
Have you tried toggling the skin's Legacy Mode option? (In the Settings, check/uncheck the "Use Legacy Mode" option to see if it matters.)

A screenshot might help to see the issue.