It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:35 pm

Gadgets 7.6.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
qazserNOS

Re: Gadgets 5.5.1 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

Post by qazserNOS »

SilverAzide wrote: February 6th, 2021, 8:24 pm Have you configured the skin to report on specific adapters or are you just reporting everything (i.e., left the adapter entries blank in the Settings)?
I seem to have configured it as the field is not empty and the adapter name is the same as in Windows Device Manager. The auto configure button chooses that network adapter.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

qazserNOS wrote: February 7th, 2021, 10:26 pm I seem to have configured it as the field is not empty and the adapter name is the same as in Windows Device Manager. The auto configure button chooses that network adapter.
OK, just curious! Sometimes it can make a difference, especially if you have a lot of virtual network adapters.
VL4DST3R

Post by VL4DST3R »

Hey SilverAzide, i come to you with another question: Is it possible for you to add a widget that essentially does exactly what the IO Meter does but for the network instead? Essentially to replicate the "Network" column from the task manager. I'm asking this since it would be great to spot at a glance if a suspect app is communicating externally.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

VL4DST3R wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 6:09 pm Hey SilverAzide, i come to you with another question: Is it possible for you to add a widget that essentially does exactly what the IO Meter does but for the network instead? Essentially to replicate the "Network" column from the task manager. I'm asking this since it would be great to spot at a glance if a suspect app is communicating externally.
Hey VL4DST3R! Well, I've been trying to do exactly what you suggest ever since I first discovered Rainmeter many years ago. (Better than Task Manager is the Network section of Resource Monitor; double-click the Top Process meter to pop this up quickly.) Unfortunately, there is no way I know of to query this information. It is not available via the UsageMonitor plugin, so it would require a plug-in that does something way beyond my ability to code. Microsoft has not clearly documented (in a manner I can understand) how to query the network utilization by process. If I ever figure it out, you can be sure I will quickly turn it into a plug-in and skin, because I want to know this info for the exact reason you stated.

One thing you can try is NetBalancer (https://netbalancer.com). It's even got a couple of desktop widgets that display network information by process.
VL4DST3R

Post by VL4DST3R »

SilverAzide wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 10:25 pm Unfortunately, there is no way I know of to query this information.
Yeah, figured it was something like that, otherwise you would have most likely done it already XD. Shame though, i know about resmon and that there are other tools out there to achieve this but i try to keep background processes to a reasonable minimum, and your god-level widgets using only hwinfo were pretty much ideal for this.

Would pinging rainmeter devs (or whomever is in charge of developing the plugins for it) be of any use here? At least to clarify if this will ever be provided natively by rainmeter or not.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

VL4DST3R wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 9:17 am Would pinging rainmeter devs (or whomever is in charge of developing the plugins for it) be of any use here? At least to clarify if this will ever be provided natively by rainmeter or not.
It's been a long time, but I think I did several years ago. I'd have to dig through old threads to confirm. In any case, it would be a tremendous amount of work as far as I can tell, so I seriously doubt any of the devs would be interested in taking this on. I think there is a third-party library that could be used to create a plug-in, but it is not free and I'm not sure of the license terms. :-(
VL4DST3R

Post by VL4DST3R »

SilverAzide wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 12:53 pm I think there is a third-party library that could be used to create a plug-in, but it is not free and I'm not sure of the license terms. :-(
Link? Name?
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

VL4DST3R wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 4:25 pmLink? Name?
FiddlerCore... https://www.telerik.com/fiddlercore. Only $3000 per year! Cha-ching!
NetBalancer... https://netbalancer.com. Only $49.95. :) Appears to have an API you could hit with WebParser?
VL4DST3R

Post by VL4DST3R »

SilverAzide wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 5:01 pm FiddlerCore... https://www.telerik.com/fiddlercore. Only $3000 per year! Cha-ching!
NetBalancer... https://netbalancer.com. Only $49.95. :) Appears to have an API you could hit with WebParser?
Yikes... both of those also sound overkill for what we need here, never mind the licensing part. Quite a shame there's no free alternative.
VL4DST3R

Post by VL4DST3R »

I think i come bearing bad news. Latest HWiNFO seems to have been heavily gimped in the last update pushing a paid version: https://www.hwinfo.com/version-history/
As a result the GPU widget no longer seems to work after updating. I will be reverting to the previous version but this needs to be investigated further.