It is currently May 7th, 2021, 12:26 pm

Gadgets 6.0.2 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
Zejott

Re: Gadgets 5.5.1 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

Post by Zejott »

SilverAzide wrote: December 7th, 2020, 5:11 pm
Hello,
It looks like you have configured HWiNFO correctly. (Thanks for the screenshot!) One thing I have to ask (sorry, I know this might be obvious), but did you check BOTH the "Show Core Temps" and "Show Fan Usage" options in the Settings?
Screenshot 2020-12-07 120857.png
Hi,
yes, both the "show core temps" and "show fan usage" options are ticked.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Zejott wrote: December 7th, 2020, 5:36 pm Hi,
yes, both the "show core temps" and "show fan usage" options are ticked.
OK, great... Do you see any errors in the Rainmeter Log on the About screen? You should see a notice like "HWiNFO detected", but nothing else. I should also ask, is there any chance you are running CoreTemp or SpeedFan in addition to HWiNFO? If you are running either of these, they take precedence over HWiNFO. The log will tell you which is in use.

Another thing to check is the Skins tab on the About screen. Select the All CPU Meter skin and scroll down until you see the 5 fan measures shown here:
Screenshot 2020-12-07 125520.png
The green highlighted measure and the one below it are for SpeedFan, and they should be grayed out (disabled). The last three items should be enabled, and should be showing non-zero values if your fan is spinning. The yellow highlighted line is your fan speed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
Zejott

Post by Zejott »

SilverAzide wrote: December 7th, 2020, 5:46 pm OK, great... Do you see any errors in the Rainmeter Log on the About screen? You should see a notice like "HWiNFO detected", but nothing else. I should also ask, is there any chance you are running CoreTemp or SpeedFan in addition to HWiNFO? If you are running either of these, they take precedence over HWiNFO. The log will tell you which is in use.

Another thing to check is the Skins tab on the About screen. Select the All CPU Meter skin and scroll down until you see the 5 fan measures shown here:
Screenshot 2020-12-07 125520.png
The green highlighted measure and the one below it are for SpeedFan, and they should be grayed out (disabled). The last three items should be enabled, and should be showing non-zero values if your fan is spinning. The yellow highlighted line is your fan speed.
CoreTemp was indeed running simultaneously to HWiNFO, but even after fully deinstalling CoreTemp and rebooting it still wouldn't work, so I checked the log. It shows one warning saying Rainmeter couldn't detect HWiNFO, but half a second later it does so I guess thats allright.
log.png
In the Skins tab however, not only the SpeedFan measures but all of them, including the HWiNFO ones, are grayed out.
Screenshot 2020-12-07 213207.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zejott

Post by Zejott »

Zejott wrote: December 7th, 2020, 8:43 pm CoreTemp was indeed running simultaneously to HWiNFO, but even after fully deinstalling CoreTemp and rebooting it still wouldn't work, so I checked the log. It shows one warning saying Rainmeter couldn't detect HWiNFO, but half a second later it does so I guess thats allright.

log.png

In the Skins tab however, not only the SpeedFan measures but all of them, including the HWiNFO ones, are grayed out.

Screenshot 2020-12-07 213207.png
So I just noticed that the CPU temperature readings are gone aswell since deactivating CoreTemp. I guess that's what the Warning message in the Log was referring to.

Checking the sensor IDs for the CPU temperatures in the HWiNFO settings file I noticed the IDs were incorrect. So the skin was basically getting the temperature readings from CoreTemp the whole time. After correcting the CPU Temperature sensor IDs not only the temperature was showing correctly but also the fan speed indicator started working without any further changes - job done!

Thanks for the help!
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

OK, great! The HWiNFO configuration is pretty much unique to each machine make/model, so you do need to configure it the first time you use it. Glad you got it working!
VL4DST3R

Post by VL4DST3R »

Given the amount of CPU cores are bound to only increase, and like some users have mentioned that at some point the widget will only fit sideways :) I have a suggestion.

Incidentally this is also a request i meant to ask for a while now: could you add an option to average and group together cores with their threads? So for example if you have a 12 core, 24 thread CPU, display just 12 instances, with for example: "core 3" being the average of threads 5 and 6 and so on.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

VL4DST3R wrote: December 20th, 2020, 2:11 pm Given the amount of CPU cores are bound to only increase, and like some users have mentioned that at some point the widget will only fit sideways :) I have a suggestion.

Incidentally this is also a request i meant to ask for a while now: could you add an option to average and group together cores with their threads? So for example if you have a 12 core, 24 thread CPU, display just 12 instances, with for example: "core 3" being the average of threads 5 and 6 and so on.
Yes, I'm thinking about a Gadget that reports on physical cores instead of logical cores. So far this hasn't become a pressing need, as 32+-core CPUs are still so expensive not many folks have them, but at some point they will become more mainstream.
VL4DST3R

Post by VL4DST3R »

While I'm here, I'm also having some issues with showing the CPU fan speed. This has actually been an ongoing issue for me for many years, i posted a long time ago on the DA page of the skin asking for help but didn't manage to figure out why it wasn't working.

I've set the correct id for both (as far as i can tell) and while inside HWiNFO the values are displayed properly (as seen in the image) All CPU Meter never picks them up. What am i doing wrong? This happened on both an Intel and now AMD CPU.
VL4DST3R

Post by VL4DST3R »

SilverAzide wrote: December 20th, 2020, 2:30 pm Yes, I'm thinking about a Gadget that reports on physical cores instead of logical cores. So far this hasn't become a pressing need, as 32+-core CPUs are still so expensive not many folks have them, but at some point they will become more mainstream.
Part of the reason why i wanted to ask for this is the following:

For some reason AMD seems to flip-flop its thread usage between the main core and its thread (and sometimes another core/thread pair entirely). This is very annoying as it makes graphs a mess, as you can see. I'm not yet sure why is this happening, if it's the way the usage is reported to the widget to blame or its the actual behavior of the CPU, but i was hoping by having the two mushed into one, i can at least partially fix the graph display. For example in the game I'm currently running (but it's not limited to a particular program) which seems to use mostly just one thread, the usage displayed on the widget switches between core 9-10 then 5-6 and repeats, resulting in the above graph.

Any idea who's really to blame here?
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

VL4DST3R wrote: December 20th, 2020, 2:59 pmAny idea who's really to blame here?
That would be the Windows thread scheduler. :)