It is currently March 29th, 2024, 1:37 pm

Warning from the Rainmeter Team

Release announcements and important news from the developers.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Warning from the Rainmeter Team

Post by jsmorley »

I will put some thoughts together in the next day or so. I think I might know that guy from Netherworld BBS. I was the sysop of the Interconnect BBS (and the president of the Capitol Area Sysops Association) at the time he was running Netherworld.

:-)
karmat

Post by karmat »

small world!
karmat

Post by karmat »

dA has now added two new categories to the reporting process - malware and warez. All you do is choose which one, click yes and that's it. No space for comment or to include link to virus report.

So I reported all twelve that are still in the gallery, see what happens. While I was doing it, I tallied up the downloads - 1318.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

karmat wrote:I tallied up the downloads - 1318.

Ouch :(

All things considered though...not too bad :thumbup:
karmat

Post by karmat »

yeah but that doesn't include the downloads for the skins that were removed already
karmat

Post by karmat »

Seven more bad skins since yesterday. I reported them with the new malware reporting tool. I gave the new list to Otis and updated our blog. The 12 that I reported yesterday using the new tool are still there. So, nothing has changed.

I got so excited yesterday when I saw that notice from headquarters about malware, then got so disappointed when I read further and all they were talking about was the ads!!! I commented my thoughts, but of course haven't received a reply.
karmat

Post by karmat »

I commented to Fiona again...

Fiona, would like to make you aware that the malware situation is still going on. There are 19 skins in the Rainmeter Gallery right now full of malware, plus they are all rips of other people's skins.

I have reported all of them in the old way and I have reported all of them using the new Malware category. The oldest one has been there since April 17th = 12 days ago! You can check this blog posting http://rainmeter.deviantart.com/blog/39815806/#comments to see which ones still haven't been removed, or you can take a look at the Rainmeter Gallery http://browse.deviantart.com/customization/skins/sysmonitor/rainmeter/ - for anybody who knows Rainmeter, it's pretty obvious which ones they are.

Is the malware situation on dA's radar at all and I don't mean the ads? Is there any discussion going on amongst management on how to resolve this situation? This community is more than willing to help, I think the time we've put into monitoring and reporting should show our commitment.

Fiona, we would really appreciate some feedback.
karmat

Post by karmat »

Just received this reply from Fiona...

Hi,
Yes it absolutely is on our radar, and I would anticipate that you'll get a response to your reports this coming week.

In addition, I'm hoping to hear back about the possibility of adding a virus check to our submission process. We absolutely are discussing this at management level.

Thanks again for sending in the reports, and for being patient whilst we work towards a solution that fixes this once and for all :)

Fiona
karmat

Post by karmat »

sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »