It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:11 pm

Twitter authentication

Release announcements and important news from the developers.
jsmorley
Developer

Twitter authentication

Post by jsmorley »

Everyone should be aware that tomorrow (31 August, 2010) Twitter is going to be turning off the ability to connect with 3rd party apps using basic URL authentication (where you put userid= and password= on the URL command line) and will only be supporting authentication via OAuth. This will mean that any skins connecting to a private Twitter account are going to stop working as of tomorrow.

There is no good way to resolve this today, as WebParser does no authentication of any kind, and can't use stored cookies or certificates. Something may be done about this in the future, although with the many types of authentication available today (OAuth is only one) we may have to think outside the box a bit. In the meantime, I suspect Twitter skins are just going to stop working.
Leonick

Re: Twitter authentication

Post by Leonick »

Gonna leave some info here in case someone doesn't already know about it and comes here in look for an alternative way to do a twitter config.

Create it just as before with the webparser but instead of the feed from twitter register and use your own feed from supertweet instead

http://www.supertweet.net/
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Leonick wrote:Gonna leave some info here in case someone doesn't already know about it and comes here in look for an alternative way to do a twitter config.

Create it just as before with the webparser but instead of the feed from twitter register and use your own feed from supertweet instead

http://www.supertweet.net/
poiru has actually already baked this into the version of Gnometer in the new 1.3 version of Rainmeter. Seems to work really well. Nice to have a work around for this problem. Thanks for letting us know!
Leonick

Post by Leonick »

Yup I know he has. I believe he is the first to upload a skin that use it, not sure though :P
I got this from a comment on FediaFedias omnimo a while back, just wanted to post it here when a saw the post, helps people looking for a solution.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

I got it from kenz0, who posted the post about it at 02 Jun 2010, 10:37 ;)
tslater

Post by tslater »

I am now getting errors with the SuperTweet service. Apparently they don't want to be used for personal use anymore.
Usage Limits Exceeded

SuperTweet.net is a free service to assist developers accessing the Twitter API in situations where direct OAuth implementation is impractical or impossible from their own simple scripts and other such applications. It is not applicable to websites, Twitter clients, or other applications that use the Twitter API on behalf of their users.
Is the twitter plugin corrected for the OAuth in 2.0? Is there another service similar to SuperTweet I can switch to? Or are my days having a Twitter feed in Rainmeter over?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Maybe some C++ geek wants to become Rainmeter "Man of the Month" and knock out a plugin...

http://code.google.com/p/twitcurl/
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

tslater wrote:I am now getting errors with the SuperTweet service. Apparently they don't want to be used for personal use anymore.
I think I know why they hate us.. ;)

I think they meant Rainmeter, but whatever (link).
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Hahaha!!! I spit out my coffee...

Reminds me of AccuWeather.com

"Sure, we will set up a private feed for you. Good word of mouth advertising for us".... "WAIT! What the crap!... Quick, get me IT on the phone!"
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

"Greetings......you have reached the IT department.....Unfortunately we are busy with other "Calls" right now...... We will inconvenience you at the most painful available time possible.....please standby, and thank you for your call" que elevator music :o