It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:08 am

Weather Connection Error

General topics related to Rainmeter.
jhg

Weather Connection Error

Post by jhg »

Since yesterday the Weather app has been giving a "Connection Error"

The log contains the following for each failed attempt to retrieve weather data:

Code: Select all

(Fetch error) The server name or address could not be resolved  (ErrorCode=12007) (Win10 Widgets\Weather\Weather-Large.ini - [MeasureWeather])
Fetching: https://query.yahooapis.com/v1/public/yql?q=select%20*%20from%20weather.forecast%20where%20woeid%20%3D%2012798479&format=json&env=store%3A%2F%2Fdatatables.org%2Falltableswithkeys&callback= (Win10 Widgets\Weather\Weather-Large.ini - [MeasureWeather])
Retrieving weather... (Win10 Widgets\Weather\Weather-Large.ini)
And in fact it appears query.yahooapis.com does not currently resolve in DNS.

[jhg@smtp ~]$ ping query.yahooapis.com
ping: unknown host query.yahooapis.com
and

[jhg@smtp ~]$ dig query.yahooapis.com

; <<>> DiG 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.68.rc1.el6_10.1 <<>> query.yahooapis.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 14210
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;query.yahooapis.com.           IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
yahooapis.com.          140     IN      SOA     hidden-master.yahoo.com. hostmaster.yahoo-inc.com. 2019010303 28800 3600 1814400 600

;; Query time: 2 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.4.4#53(8.8.4.4)
;; WHEN: Fri Jan  4 02:36:08 2019
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 114
(note ANSWER:0)
iljusin66

Re: Weather Connection Error

Post by iljusin66 »

Yahoo Developer Network says:
Important EOL Notice: As of Thursday, Jan. 3, 2019, the weather.yahooapis.com and query.yahooapis.com for Yahoo Weather API will be retired.
To continue using our free Yahoo Weather APIs, use https://weather-ydn-yql.media.yahoo.com/forecastrss. Contact yahoo-weather-ydn-api@oath.com for credentials to onboard to this free Yahoo Weather API service.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yahoo is as dead as the Passenger Pigeon. Don't buy stock in Sears. Don't buy Toys 'R Us gift cards...

While I am not encouraged about the future for any free RSS/ATOM weather feed, as they can't monetize that, Weather.com is certainly an option that doesn't look to be going anywhere in the near term.

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=23169
robdam1001

Post by robdam1001 »

So exactly how can I fix the connection issue please?
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

robdam1001 wrote: January 4th, 2019, 11:10 pm So exactly how can I fix the connection issue please?
I'll repeat what has been said: "YAHOO WEATHER IS DEAD!"

Any skin that used Yahoo to retrieve data will no longer work because Yahoo terminated the service.
Yahoo no longer provides unauthorized access to any weather data.

The above post suggests contacting Yahoo to get credentials (username/password) to access to free Yahoo Weather API service.
That is fine if all you want to do is see weather data in your browser, the problem is Webparser can not access sites that require you to log in.

How To Fix: you need to use any weather skin that does not use Yahoo. Alternately, if you want to try to use the skin in question, you have to rewrite the Webparser portions to use Weather.com data (not impossible, but also not simple).

I have converted Enigma weather skins to use Weather.com data, but each weather skin author uses different methods so each skin will require different modifications. :uhuh:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

robdam1001 wrote: January 4th, 2019, 11:10 pm So exactly how can I fix the connection issue please?
What skin are you using? Post a name and a link, please.
hel2jay

Post by hel2jay »

Hi!
I have the same problem with win10 widgets - Weather ExtraLarge
win10widgets.com
And I use translated version (into Russian). As I understood, we need to change the link in the skin. Is is right?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

It's in no way as simple as just changing the URL for the weather feed. Changing a skin from using Yahoo Weather to Weather.com WXData means a fairly extensive re-write of the skin.

You might be best advised to contact the author of the skin in question, and report that Yahoo has taken the inevitable dirt nap, and ask them to update their skin(s).

To be honest, the authors of the Win10 Widgets suite should have seen this coming at least two years ago, and taken steps to move away from using the obviously doomed Yahoo Weather feed. Maybe they did... Did you check for updates on their web site?
robdam1001

Post by robdam1001 »

Would someone kindly recommend a similar weather widget?