It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:35 pm

Some Plugins Converted to Measures

Release announcements and important news from the developers.
jsmorley
Developer

Some Plugins Converted to Measures

Post by jsmorley »

One of the changes that has taken place as of the 4.0 release version of Rainmeter is that we are making an effort to convert all built-in "plugins" to be internal "measures", not requiring a separate .dll file. There are some internal benefits to the code in efficiency and maintainability, but no difference in how they work in skins.

The plugins that have been converted to measures to date are:

MediaKey
NowPlaying
RecyleManager
WebParser

Since the old syntax works just as well as the new in skins, and there are so many thousands of existing skins using the old syntax, we have not been eager to make a big deal out of it. However, this has come up in discussions here in the forums of late, and we feel the consensus is to go ahead and document the change and start gently encouraging folks to use the new syntax in new skins.

Starting with WebParser, the change is:

Old syntax:

Code: Select all

[MyMeasure]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser
You might also have seen Plugin=WebParser.dll or Plugin=Plugins\WebParser.dll. All of them work exactly the same, both then and now.

New syntax:

Code: Select all

[MyMeasure]
Measure=WebParser
Do try to remember to use the new Measure=WebParser syntax going forward, as over time we can reduce confusion caused by older skins. Having said that, there is just no need to get on a jihad about correcting existing skins. The old syntax still will, and always will, work just fine.

I have made the appropriate changes to the documentation:

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/measures/webparser/

And have created re-directs that will allow existing links posted here in the forums or other places to still go to the right place.

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/plugins/webparser/#NotAPlugin

There is still a little work to do changing the syntax in some Tips & Tricks and other examples, I will be working on that in the coming days.

Other plugins >> measures, starting with MediaKey, NowPlaying, and RecyleManager have also been converted, and changes to the documentation for those will be coming soon. We will then be changing all the "built-in" plugins to measures over time, and we will try to keep up with them as they are changed. There is no timeline for that, it's something that is a low priority and will happen as there is free time.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: WebParser converted from Plugin to Measure

Post by balala »

:17good
As I said before a few times, I really think users should have to start to get used to use the new syntax. Obviously the old is still available and exactly due to the thousands of existing skins, this probably never will change, but at least for the new skins, the new syntax should be used.
:thumbup:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala wrote: As I said before a few times, I really think users should have to start to get used to use the new syntax. Obviously the old is still available and exactly due to the thousands of existing skins, this probably never will change, but at least for the new skins, the new syntax should be used.
I prefer "should gently, gently be encouraged to start" over "should have to start". I'd rather not see a blizzard of corrections when someone is struggling to understand some RegExp or some other feature of WebParser. Telling them to change this syntax adds nothing to solving the problem they are asking about. I just hope we can use good judgment, and not have the forums get into a lot of "scolding" of new users who are generally working from an existing skin.

Solve the problem first, and have a reference to this change be a gentle "P.S." at the bottom... ;-)

P.S. WebParser has been changed from a plugin to a measure in recent versions of Rainmeter.
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual-beta/measures/webparser/#NotAPlugin
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote:Telling them to change this syntax does nothing solve the problem they are asking about.
Definitely.
jsmorley wrote:I prefer "should gently, gently be encouraged to start" over "should have to start".
How do we formulate this depends on a lot of things. And who, what syntax do prefer (with or without Plugin), also depends on many things.
But at least is good to have a WebParser measure section in the help, to indicate the new syntax.
:17nodding
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala wrote:Definitely.

How do we formulate this depends on a lot of things. And who, what syntax do prefer (with or without Plugin), also depends on many things.
But at least is good to have a WebParser measure section in the help, to indicate the new syntax.
Right.

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?p=144334#p144334
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I have tweaked that section and I'm hoping we can just reference it rather than getting into elaborate explanations in posts...

By the way: https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/measures/webparser/#NotAPlugin
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote:I have tweaked that section and I'm hoping we can just reference it rather than getting into elaborate explanations in posts...
I'd say probably most users will (hope easily) understand the evolution of Rainmeter. But we'll see...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Note that as we move forward converting other plugins to measures, I will only be documenting the change(s) when the change hits the "release" version of Rainmeter. I won't be documenting this, and we shouldn't push it, during the "beta" stages, as that will indeed cause heartburn and confusion.