It is currently March 29th, 2024, 11:29 am

We could lose AccuWeather folks!!!!!

Release announcements and important news from the developers.
Benjamin Linus

Re: We could lose AccuWeather folks!!!!!

Post by Benjamin Linus »

Samus Aran wrote:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Author=SamusAranFreak
Update=1000
I just closed my weather skin, and am now asking: Is the above mentioned Update OK?
Is this the one you refer to ?
http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1121&p=8166#p8166

You have updaterate set at 15 which is not in compliance. (hitting the Accuweather server every few seconds)
Minimum is 900 = 15 minutes.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Benjamin Linus wrote: Is this the one you refer to ?

You have updaterate set at 15 which is not in compliance.
Minimum is 900 = 15 minutes.
If Samus has Update=1000 and UpdateRate=15, then that is a BIG problem. That is hitting AccuWeather every 15 seconds, which is exactly what they are complaining about. Please do check and correct if needed.
Benjamin Linus

Post by Benjamin Linus »

Just came across this new skin at deviantart, updaterate here is 90 (1.5 minutes) :x

http://march3lo.deviantart.com/art/Weather-Mod-Ch3lo-134687697

Maybe a deviantart member can educate this person.
Already had 78 downloads so potentially that's 78 people hammering the server, OUCH :o
Last edited by Benjamin Linus on August 26th, 2009, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samus Aran

Post by Samus Aran »

I don't have anything like updaterate=15 in my skin.

There's only Update=1000.

And I was referring to the code I posted :P

Edit: I "educated" the guy you linked to ;)
Last edited by Samus Aran on August 26th, 2009, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benjamin Linus

Post by Benjamin Linus »

Samus Aran wrote:I don't have anything like updaterate=15 in my skin.

There's only Update=1000.

And I was referring to the code I posted :P
Apologies friend, but what's this you posted :?

[mWeather]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\WebParser.dll
UpdateRate=15
Url=http://rainmeter.accu-weather.com/widget/rainmeter/weather-data.asp?location=#Destination#&metric=1

Samus Aran

Post by Samus Aran »

Did I? oO
I just modified an existing skin, and forgot about the other values, sorry :oops:

Values corrected.

Now it says 1000 ;)
maminscris

Post by maminscris »

all the skins i have make are set to updaterate=900, maybe we can set up an agrement with accuweather like something this link http://rainmeter.accu-weather.com/widget/rainmeter/weather-data.asp?Location=#Location# can not be accessed at a interval less that 15 min
Zero at programing, zero at writing codes, so far 2 at making images
But I'm good at copy/paste, and I not always like this
Benjamin Linus

Post by Benjamin Linus »

Sarge,any news/are Accuweather still sweet then :?

Did note somewhere that you are working on a Wunderground skin, look forward to seeing this when available.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Actually funny you ask: O' Lost Brother ;)

Just spoke with Mr. Gore quickly yesterday and have set up an appointment for Noon my time, today.

This much I can say so far.

There was an influx that started the week of Rainmeter 1.0 and it has grown.
A situation existed where we (Collectively) went from about 14,000 random checks an hour to where we are now one of their top 5 XML page hitters.

The problem exists on many fronts, but one in particular.
The are seeing information go out, but no returns.

These folks are for profit, and the links that have been imposed, via the XML page, are to link to their page and at random times some small advertisements.
Apparently the links to these common pages are not being added to the skins and/or links to AccuWeather.com are not be followed.
Apparently a situation of a small handful of folks updating every second can not be confirmed, but what we do know for certain is that there has been a 2300% -/+ traffic increase to the AccuWeather site, based of our tracker information between 08/08/2009 and 09/08/2009.

It was one of my hopes that the proper links would be instituted in skins, and they may have been.
What is not happening is that there is no increase in income for AccuWeather.com via their clicker adds.

Understand that there were certain expectations by AccuWeather.com that this would draw business to them, and so far all we have collectively done is take from their XML page.

So ultimately these folks are looking for an income off-set solution.
They are not so much concerned with the amount of traffic that has been developed, rather they are looking to keep and income based on hits ratio and we are not helping them do this (as I had hoped).

They are aware of our Status (being F.O.S.S.) and that money is not something that we can give them directly, but apparently they may have some other options as well, and we have some to present as well.

So I will have more details available after this afternoons meeting.

Everyone cross their collective fingers and wish us all luck ;)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I would posit that there may never be a direct definable relationship between people who run a weather skin using AccuWeather and hits on the actual web page. While I do use the icon on my skin to go check the full weather on their site, to be honest it's rare that I do so. The abbreviated weather in the skin is usually enough. However, they need to understand that 100,000 people seeing AccuWeather.com on their skins, and all the discussions and recommendations here in our forums is general advertising that almost certainly has driven additional folks to AccuWeather, even if not in a way they can tie directly to Rainmeter.

One thing we need to be sure of it that folks who put a link to AccuWeather in their skin use the link containing the "partner=Rainmeter" parameter, and not just AccuWeather.com&Location=

That way we can get credit for the hit to the web site.