It is currently April 26th, 2024, 4:29 am

Rainmeter Language Pack (adding languages)

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
~Faradey~

Rainmeter Language Pack (adding languages)

Post by ~Faradey~ »

// the tool has been deleted and never will be developed again!
Last edited by ~Faradey~ on August 28th, 2011, 9:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
poiru
Developer

Re: Rainmeter Language Pack (adding languages)

Post by poiru »

While I appreciate your effort, this is definitely not the way to do it. We have several big changes planned to Rainmeter (including major changes in the resources) and using this tool on the current development build messes several things. Although the current development build does work after using this tool, there are several things that do not display or work correctly as the newer resources have been replaced by old resources. In the worst case scenario, this could severe issues.

This tool will not be compatible with future versions of Rainmeter. I suggest you simply redistribute Rainmeter.dll with strings changed, but not a tool to replace resources as they are implementation details subject to change.

We have looked into Rainmeter localization and that is certainly coming in the near future. We just have a few big things to get out first :)
~Faradey~

Post by ~Faradey~ »

poiru wrote:While I appreciate your effort, this is definitely not the way to do it. We have several big changes planned to Rainmeter (including major changes in the resources) and using this tool on the current development build messes several things. Although the current development build does work after using this tool, there are several things that do not display or work correctly as the newer resources have been replaced by old resources. In the worst case scenario, this could severe issues.

This tool will not be compatible with future versions of Rainmeter. I suggest you simply redistribute Rainmeter.dll with strings changed, but not a tool to replace resources as they are implementation details subject to change.
well, i can always update a translator) but i agreed.
maybe i'll find another way...
poiru wrote:We have looked into Rainmeter localization and that is certainly coming in the near future. We just have a few big things to get out first :)
So, let then this topic be for it! while it is preparing to be available, people could give a translate ;) ?
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

~Faradey~ wrote:So, let then this topic be for it! while it is preparing to be available, people could give a translate ;) ?
When the time comes, we will most likely provide a file for translators to translate. Although I have no objection to gathering translations here, there are two things that should be taken into account:
- Several strings will be changed, removed, or added when we eventually add localization support
- Someone would have to take the raw strings here and marge them into the provided file (which would involve a lot of manual work)

Of course, I cannot speak for others nor can I estimate how long it will take for localization support to arrive.
dexter47

Post by dexter47 »

Hello there. Just 5 days with Rainmeter here... Like it! :D
A friend asked me where to change language, so i checked Rainmeter forum and found this page.
Ok, no translation for romainan. I gave a few minutes to Rainmeter, and here it is!
A translation file for romanian language. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~Faradey~

Post by ~Faradey~ »

dexter47 wrote:Hello there. Just 5 days with Rainmeter here... Like it! :D
A friend asked me where to change language, so i checked Rainmeter forum and found this page.
Ok, no translation for romainan. I gave a few minutes to Rainmeter, and here it is!
A translation file for romanian language. ;)
Wow) i though i wouldn't have requests so fast, that is why i so late)
I've added român language support. Please look at the first topic of this page, there you'll find a link to DeviantArt page where you can to download.
Also, i would like to get a response from you, how is this works and such other things)
Tnx.
- Someone would have to take the raw strings here and marge them into the provided file (which would involve a lot of manual work)
i can help if needed ;-)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I'm of the opinion that this entire tool is a really bad idea. I am completely opposed to it, as it is just going to discourage folks from getting the latest beta versions of Rainmeter which will overwrite these changes. There is no guarantee that running this tool again on the new version will not just destroy it or fail to work, due to changes in our core code. I'm sorry, but I consider this tool harmful to the Rainmeter Community as a whole. We are opposed in principle and in practice to the "Balkanization" of Rainmeter with different versions of Rainmeter.dll.

I think this should be removed as a download from the first post, and have this thread dedicated to talking about our efforts to add localization to Rainmeter properly as we begin to work on it, or just closed.

As poiru said, we appreciate this effort, but it is the wrong approach. We agree that localization is a goal, and worth doing. It's not something that should be done with a "hack" though, but as part of the development effort.

P.S. This tool does NOT work on the latest development build due to be released as a beta today at 5pm UTC.
dexter47

Post by dexter47 »

Thank you ~Faradey~ for your reply and your work in adding Romanian into the Language pack. But i get an error when i run the Tool, even in Admin mode. (File attached)

I agree with poiru and jsmorley. But to make it simple, can't there be added dll's, xml's or other type of files with localization, that will be loaded with Rainmeter? That would save us from corrupting a newer version of Rainmeter with outdated files. Even if files are to be overwritten, the Tool should first check in the registry for a supported version.

In Windows Vista/7, a request for elevation should be added, to gain write access in Program Files, else, install the localization files into user's AppData folder, or Documents (where the skin files are), since other users may not have admin rights and wish to use Rainmeter in their language.

I just hope i'm not annoying :-) I don't know much programming because paused my studies, but i understand programming.

Cheers! ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~Faradey~

Post by ~Faradey~ »

jsmorley wrote:I'm of the opinion that this entire tool is a really bad idea. I am completely opposed to it, as it is just going to discourage folks from getting the latest beta versions of Rainmeter which will overwrite these changes. There is no guarantee that running this tool again on the new version will not just destroy it or fail to work, due to changes in our core code. I'm sorry, but I consider this tool harmful to the Rainmeter Community as a whole. We are opposed in principle and in practice to the "Balkanization" of Rainmeter with different versions of Rainmeter.dll.

I think this should be removed as a download from the first post, and have this thread dedicated to talking about our efforts to add localization to Rainmeter properly as we begin to work on it, or just closed.

As poiru said, we appreciate this effort, but it is the wrong approach. We agree that localization is a goal, and worth doing. It's not something that should be done with a "hack" though, but as part of the development effort.

P.S. This tool does NOT work on the latest development build due to be released as a beta today at 5pm UTC.
dexter47 wrote:Thank you ~Faradey~ for your reply and your work in adding Romanian into the Language pack. But i get an error when i run the Tool, even in Admin mode. (File attached)

I agree with poiru and jsmorley. But to make it simple, can't there be added dll's, xml's or other type of files with localization, that will be loaded with Rainmeter? That would save us from corrupting a newer version of Rainmeter with outdated files. Even if files are to be overwritten, the Tool should first check in the registry for a supported version.

In Windows Vista/7, a request for elevation should be added, to gain write access in Program Files, else, install the localization files into user's AppData folder, or Documents (where the skin files are), since other users may not have admin rights and wish to use Rainmeter in their language.

I just hope i'm not annoying :-) I don't know much programming because paused my studies, but i understand programming.

Cheers! ;-)
// the tool has been deleted and never will be developed again!

it is does checking a version of Rainmeter.dll and just wouldn't work and not let you to continue if version is newer. As for error, sorry, according to devs comments about this effort, i've stopped the development of this or other similar tools, sorry.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Thanks ~Faradey~. I hope there are no hard feelings or that my comments were not taken the wrong way. You are a hugely important member of our community and I know this effort was well intended and we should accept our own criticism for not moving more aggressively on localization.