It is currently April 16th, 2024, 8:52 am

Anyway to write a plugin in c#

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
critchleysj

Anyway to write a plugin in c#

Post by critchleysj »

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a way to write plugins for rainmeter in managed C#. CPP being to scary for me :( Also... i only installed VS C#...

Also i've noticed a trend where plugins that display multiple items all have some max limit. For example the Dock can only show 5 items and the notes can only show 3. Is this a limitation of the INI file approach?

I'd like to have a crack at writing an evernote "notes" implementation. The current notepad, 3 file only thing is a bit... bleh.
poiru
Developer

Re: Anyway to write a plugin in c#

Post by poiru »

critchleysj wrote:Hello,

I was wondering if there was a way to write plugins for rainmeter in managed C#. CPP being to scary for me :( Also... i only installed VS C#...
Yes, check: http://rainmeter.net/cms/Developers-CSharpPlugins_beta
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

critchleysj wrote: Also i've noticed a trend where plugins that display multiple items all have some max limit. For example the Dock can only show 5 items and the notes can only show 3. Is this a limitation of the INI file approach?
You need to be careful not to mix "plugins" and "skins" in your mind with Rainmeter though. The "dock" and "notes" you mention are just skins, not plugins, and don't need any code in a language like C++ or C# to change. You can add more items to a dock, or more notes (and no doubt some additional functionality) to the notes skin with some pretty simple work in the skins.

Getting anything approaching EverNote level of functionality is another matter of course. That would indeed take a pretty robust new "plugin", and poiru has already pointed you in the right direction for that.
critchleysj

Post by critchleysj »

Thanks I'll try out the template.
critchleysj

Post by critchleysj »

Is there a reason there are two projects in the template (vs using seperate build profiles between x86 and x64).

I've made a merged solution (1 project file). It builds but I haven't tried it out yet:

https://github.com/worldspawn/RainmeterCSPluginTemplate

I wasn't sure if the files in the bin folder that do *something* to the dll were different so I kept both sets.