It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 2:58 pm

Call for a Coder to build a Tempurature Monitor

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
maminscris

Re: Call for a Coder to build a Tempurature Monitor

Post by maminscris »

they ask for registration, i use c-puz it is stand alone also and it is not working under user
Zero at programing, zero at writing codes, so far 2 at making images
But I'm good at copy/paste, and I not always like this
coldFire00

Post by coldFire00 »

Hi all,
I have tried the plugin provided with the following systen:
Win 7 x64
Asus M3a79-t deluxe
AMD phenom2 940.

The plugin does not work for me.

i believe someone mentioned attempting to use coreTemp for this, does the following site help?
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/developers.html
ForceX

Post by ForceX »

maminscris wrote:they ask for registration, i use c-puz it is stand alone also and it is not working under user
Only the beta builds require a registration. You dont need to register for the official builds.
mmoeller

Post by mmoeller »

The temperature plugin posted by Elestel uses lots of code from the Open Hardware Monitor project ported (where needed) from C# to C++. I am not sure if this is a good idea, as this means any development and correction has to be ported as well. This is not so much a problem if one looks only at cpu core temperature support. But supporting the mainboard super I/O monitoring chips would be a lot of redundant work. And if you use any code from the Open Hardware Monitor project and drop the MPL licensing option you should still keep the copyright notice and the original authors in the source.

Linking the closed source NVAPI and the AMD Display Library from a GPL project where these libraries are not explicitly listed as excpetion to the GPL could be a problem (at least as far as my knowledge goes). That is (among others) the reason the Open Hardware Monitor project uses a MPL license.

To access the core temperature of a CPU you either need to do it from a process with admin rights (where you can just load a driver) or to install some driver / service that can do it at some point where you have admin rights. I am not sure how much of a problem this is for Rainmeter.

What are exactly the reasons why you do not want to have a "third party" monitoring application that provides the data? I can understand you do not want to invest too much work and to rely on closed source third party applications like Speedfan or HWMonitor. But would it also be a problem to have a second process for the monitoring application and just communicate the sensor data? This would allow to avoid some of the GPL license vs. graphics driver libraries problems as well.

I (personally) would prefer a solution where the Open Hardware Monitor code can be used directly (without porting it) in Rainmeter. Either with a plugin and a seperate process like the PluginSpeedFan (but with the differences that the Open Hardware Monitor is FOSS as well), or by loading the CLR runtime in a plugin to run the C# code directly in Rainmeter. I am not sure how easy it is to load the .NET CLR in C++ and to execute some C# written assembly there, but it should be possible. Also I do not know if this is something you would want to support officially.

Btw. I am the author of the Open Hardware Monitor.
maminscris

Post by maminscris »

:welcome: here, maybe you could help us with temperature plugin
Hackit

Post by Hackit »

Hi everyone, this looks good.

where do we get TemperaturePlugin.dll, is it not available now, does it no longer work?

I did find this link to the WinRing0.vxd files
http://code.google.com/p/open-hardware-monitor/source/browse/trunk/External/?r=2
are these the right ones?
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't – you're right”

DeviantArt Profile
maminscris

Post by maminscris »

Hackit

Post by Hackit »

Does not work for me : -(

dell notebook, studio xps, i7
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't – you're right”

DeviantArt Profile
tribal

Post by tribal »

does not work for me too (

display only nvidia card temp, cpu - not

PS amd64 x2 win7 ultimate x86
PPS openhardware monitor with this libs display all temperatures (((
wasky1

Post by wasky1 »

ForceX wrote:ACPI v2 is the key to all of this.

The reason why it was not working was because my pc's bios had ACPI v2 disabled. Once enabled every thing worked.
got it to work on win7 x86 core2duo (with 32bit winring files), but cant get it to work on win7 x64 corei3 (with 64bit winring files) i cannot see an option to enable ACPI v2 in bios setup, and dont know what the side effects would be if i could enable it. i only want cpu temp as my graphics are onboard in my laptops(poor me!).