It is currently April 27th, 2024, 1:27 am

Call for a Coder to build a Tempurature Monitor

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
TD22057

Re: Call for a Coder to build a Tempurature Monitor

Post by TD22057 »

sgtevmckay wrote:When ready, we do have a couple of folks that will be happy to pour over youe final code and check into any questionable or problem areas. :great:
You let us know when YOU are ready. :thumbup:
Thanks. FYI I posted some general questions about plugin design and how to manage the data updates here (seemed more general so I started a new thread):

http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6809
TD22057

Post by TD22057 »

More progress:

I have a plugin that reads the OHM values. It needs some clean up but it is working. I'm done for the day and will be gone tomorrow but I'll get back to it early next week.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Take what ever time away you need.
We will wait patiently.

And thanks for all your trouble in this matter :rosegift:
mmoeller

Post by mmoeller »

Nice!

Maybe this is a bit late, but there is some basic documentation for the WMI interface of the Open Hardware Monitor: http://ohm.werelds.net/OpenHardwareMonitor-WMI.pdf

If there are any problems with the interface that should be solved on the Open Hardware Monitor side, just let me know (for example by reporting on the OHM issues tracker).
TD22057

Post by TD22057 »

mmoeller wrote:Nice!

Maybe this is a bit late, but there is some basic documentation for the WMI interface of the Open Hardware Monitor: http://ohm.werelds.net/OpenHardwareMonitor-WMI.pdf

If there are any problems with the interface that should be solved on the Open Hardware Monitor side, just let me know (for example by reporting on the OHM issues tracker).
Thanks - I already found it. Your documentation was excellent and everything in OHM is working fine. That is, it was working until I had a catastrophic hard drive failure Sat night. The bad news is that the work I did Sat was lost. The good news is that I should be able to recreate it pretty quickly since I won't be teaching myself Rain, VS Express, and WMI programming as I'm working on it.

I think the best think that OHM could do is to put out another (beta?) release. Once I'm done with this, people won't be able to use it unless they build OHM from source (which is easy - but is more work than some will want to do) to get the WMI support.
mmoeller

Post by mmoeller »

I should have released a new beta version already last year, but my time is a bit limited currently. There are still a few stupid bugs added at some points since the last beta. I want to get those fixed before the next beta release. I will start uploading alpha releases as well to give users an easy way to track the current state of the svn sources.
TD22057

Post by TD22057 »

OK - I have a working plugin. I need to finish commenting and either remove my logging output or make it optional. The trickiest part was handing the two apps (Rainmeter and OHM) and their interactions in terms of which one starts first, if OHM quits and restarts while rain is running, etc. I also had to add some interesting logic in that it takes OHM a finite amount of time to figure out what sensors are available and my plugin was getting into weird states if you start rain first, then OHM - it would pick up the first set of sensors but not the ones that take longer to become available. In any case, all of these conditions are now fixed and everything seems to be working fine.

Limitations:
- Can't set your own units. Percentages are converted to [0,1] but all the other OHM units are left as is (MHz, V, C, L/h, RPM).
- Can't select multiple hardware w/ the same name. I need to add some kind of index argument to find hardware that has the same name in OHM. Internally, OHM has a unique id for each hardware/sensor pair but there is no way for you to see that so I'm using the names that are visible which can be duplicated.

I'm not sure what the best way to distribute this for testing is. It requires a current SVN build of OHM (which I have) and the plugin. I've build them both on Windows 7 (64 bit) but it looks like it's building an x32 version so I think it should work anywhere. What's the standard practice? I could zip up OHM and the plugin and put it somewhere for download or I could just make the source available...

When I finish clean up and write some docs, I'll open a new thread with the result. Should be Wed or Thur at the latest...
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

TD22057 wrote:I could zip up OHM and the plugin and put it somewhere for download
I think that would be sufficient for some early testing. Thanks for your work!
mmoeller

Post by mmoeller »

The internal OHM identifier for each hardware / sensor can be seen from the OHM report. In the sensors tree written at the beginning you will find the hardware identifiers after each hardware name in brackets. For a sensor starting with "Temperature[0]" in the report the identifier should be ../temperature/0, where the ".." is the identifier of the hardware. Maybe it could be a good idea to write the plain identifier for sensors as well into the report.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

As a temporary distribution point for testing, mediafire may be what you are looking for, and it would cost nothing, but the time to upload and acquire a link
http://www.mediafire.com/