It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:12 pm

NowPlaying iTunes Search

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
sabrehagen

NowPlaying iTunes Search

Post by sabrehagen »

I was hoping to create a meter for performing an iTunes search. Is there any functionality, or is it possible to implement the functionality in NowPlaying.dll that would send a search keyword to iTunes and return the list of songs found?

Also, after a list of songs were returned, there would have to be the ability to send back a command to play a song with a certain title. Do you know if this would be possible? A rough version I could think of off the top of my head is executing "C:\...\iTunes.exe D:\...\song.mp3".

Also, is NowPlaying.dll open source?

Thanks!
sabrehagen

Re: NowPlaying iTunes Search

Post by sabrehagen »

Also, is it possible to get the path to the file that is currently playing in iTunes?
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

sabrehagen wrote:Also, is it possible to get the path to the file that is currently playing in iTunes?
Yeah, simply use PlayerType=FILE.
sabrehagen wrote:Also, is NowPlaying.dll open source?
You can checkout the source for the default Rainmeter distribution from here (instructions). Note that you need a paid version of Visual Studio (e.g. Professional) to build NowPlaying.dll. Everything else can be built on the free version (Visual C++ Express).
sabrehagen wrote:I was hoping to create a meter for performing an iTunes search. Is there any functionality, or is it possible to implement the functionality in NowPlaying.dll that would send a search keyword to iTunes and return the list of songs found?
After a brief look at the iTunes COM interface docs, it seems possible. I have no plan to add this to NowPlaying.dll, as I want to avoid player-specific features (and most other players lack a proper and extensive interface for this kind of stuff). However, I wouldn't mind if something like this were added to iTunesPlugin.dll.

The iTunes interface docs are available from here (save the file somewhere, right-click -> Properties -> Unblock). What you want is the Search method under IITPlaylist.
sabrehagen

Post by sabrehagen »

Thanks poiru, I'll probably take a look at that and see if I can extend the functionality after I finish my exams in two weeks. They seem to be taking away from all the fun things in life!
Seahorse

Post by Seahorse »

sabrehagen wrote:I finish my exams in two weeks. They seem to be taking away from all the fun things in life!
They pay you back for the rest of your life, so keep up the good work for the next couple of weeks... 8-)
"Regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"
Mike

My Skins at DeviantArt

sabrehagen

Post by sabrehagen »

Seahorse wrote: They pay you back for the rest of your life, so keep up the good work for the next couple of weeks... 8-)
Thanks for the inspiration - I need it!