It is currently April 24th, 2024, 7:58 pm

Rainmeter Standard Library

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
kami

Rainmeter Standard Library

Post by kami »

I made a library with some fonts and color macros to simplify and make faster the Rainmeter coding experience...hope it'd be useful!

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B-XFZuGIsCARYTI5ZGQyYmYtYmFiZi00OTJhLTgyZjktMDhjMmUwYzNlYzg3&hl=it&authkey=CLrK87wO
poiru
Developer

Re: Rainmeter Standard Library

Post by poiru »

I personally don't like the idea. First of all, unused variables and especially unused fonts (loaded with LocalFont) are a waste of resources. Second, why limit yourself to a handful of colors and font sizes?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I tend to agree with poiru on this. This harkens back to the idea of a "global include file" that we have talked to death and rejected as unwieldy and unworkable.

I also don't think 3rd party efforts should be called "Rainmeter Standard" anything. No offense, but I think such things run the risk of confusing users about what is part of the Rainmeter development and what is some kind of addon.
kami

Post by kami »

I only have to learn from you...you are the two best Rainmeter developers in my opinion and your critiques are very important to me! I'll delete the file from gdocs in a week...you haven't offended me, you made me more aware of what is Rainmeter developing and i hope one day i'll reach your creative talent and technique. Thank you
bobgrosh

Post by bobgrosh »

kami wrote:I only have to learn from you...you are the two best Rainmeter developers in my opinion and your critiques are very important to me! I'll delete the file from gdocs in a week...you haven't offended me, you made me more aware of what is Rainmeter developing and i hope one day i'll reach your creative talent and technique. Thank you
Actually....
I found that useful. I had been looking for a font like cafe and another like MillhouseOutlined.
I didn't know the truetype names, or the font file. A couple of them arn't even installed on my development PC.

The ini file provided me with both the filename, and the font name.
The folder even contained the actual font file.

So. without even installing yet ANOTHER font into windows, (and making it even S L O W E R ), I was able to include the fonts in my project and insure that my skins would look exactly as intended on all those remote PC's up in Alabama...
... Even if they don't have those fonts on those old XP machines!

OK! I understand the objections to STANDARD LIBRARY!
And I agree, the reasons given seem very valid to me.

Might this rank newbie make a suggestion?

The concept seems useful, the salesmanship and packaging seems like the problem.

I created a rather NASTY looking Config. It is just a collection of cheat sheets. (Crypt notes?)
I found myself having to search the manuals for something, and then discovering a whole huge list of useful stuff (IE things like all the !bangs, or all the parameters that could be used for a meter).
I would copy and paste them into an ini file and save it in my \skins\CryptNotes folder. I would just add one meter at the top that would display a title, the rest of the ini would generate errors or do nothing.
These are not intended to be used anywhere except on my development system, so are not part of any regular config or theme.

I know that later on, I'll remember all the syntax and not have to look it up. But, being a newbie, I find myself loading one of the dozen or so variations and then right-clicking to edit. I can then copy and paste the code I was looking for just so I don't make a spelling mistake, or substitute a ( for a [ or a / for a \ .

Yea, I know,SOME of my crypt notes quickly become outdated. I just had to replace the bangs ini with a fresh cut and paste form the beta doc's to include the blur feature. And, I know someone will object that SOME of my notes would just add an additional burden for someone because their work would be duplicated. Up to date documentation would have to be updated in TWO places. B A D !!!

A lot of my Crypt notes come from the forums or tips and tricks, but mostly are snips of other peoples code, with a few snips of MY code. (when I get something totally NEW to work, why not save the important part that might be useful somewhere else?

Kami's work is a lot like the tips and tricks part of this site, or, a lot of my notes, but a lot more polished!

Re-work the info in the PDF into an ini, repackage it as a RMSKIN file with the fonts and pictures and promote it as just Crypt Notes, not a standard library.
(I'd also suggest adding a few template type lines for others to add their own fonts, colors, sizes, etc. and a line or two of instructions.)

OK, I promise you won't hurt my feelings either, if you shoot down my take on this.

Bob