It is currently March 29th, 2024, 12:22 pm

Open Hardware Monitor Plugin [11-FEB-2011 V1.1]

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
Malonn

Re: Open Hardware Monitor Plugin [11-FEB-2011 V1.1]

Post by Malonn »

I was using version 0.1.1. I didn't even know there was a newer version.

It crashed after the plugin had been running for about 4-5 hours. I didn't know it was OHM until it crashed again abouit 2 hours after the first crash. I then removed OHM and haven't had a crash since. I'll download 0.3.2 beta and see if it corrects the crash. I'll post a report if it crashes again. If not, you can just assume you fixed the crash with newer revisions.

Where can I download the latest version, by the way?

EDIT:

Found it via Google...

EDIT2:

It's the rainmeter plugin that caused the crash. Not OHM itself. Is there an update to the plugin?

EDIT3:

You know? I don't know. It may have been the "Cacheman" application taking over memory management. I can't be sure. I'm going to try to run OHM and the plugin again and see if it crashes the computer.
mmoeller

Post by mmoeller »

I think it is not possible for the rainmeter plugin to directly cause a blue screen if your operating system, hardware (mainly RAM) and all drivers run stable. If for example the RAM does not run stable then anything can cause indirectly a blue screen.

The Open Hardware Monitor uses a kernel driver, so it could cause blue screens by itself in theory (but I don't have evidence of any case where it does). I am not sure what Cacheman does internally, but for some of the more advanced things like managing cache it could be using a kernel driver as well (which could cause directly blue screens).

Normal crashs (without blue screen) can happen with any application. There are also some rare cases where the Open Hardware Monitor crashes (well it is more like it doesn't even start). But in theses cases you will get a notification from the Open Hardware Monitor itself and it will try to exit safely.
Malonn

Post by Malonn »

mmoeller wrote:I think it is not possible for the rainmeter plugin to directly cause a blue screen if your operating system, hardware (mainly RAM) and all drivers run stable. If for example the RAM does not run stable then anything can cause indirectly a blue screen.

The Open Hardware Monitor uses a kernel driver, so it could cause blue screens by itself in theory (but I don't have evidence of any case where it does). I am not sure what Cacheman does internally, but for some of the more advanced things like managing cache it could be using a kernel driver as well (which could cause directly blue screens).

Normal crashs (without blue screen) can happen with any application. There are also some rare cases where the Open Hardware Monitor crashes (well it is more like it doesn't even start). But in theses cases you will get a notification from the Open Hardware Monitor itself and it will try to exit safely.
Thanks for the response. At this point, I think it was Cacheman causing the BSOD. Windows 7 does a good job of managing memory, as does Cacheman, but if it causes crashes there are problems. I also noticed I'd get CRC errors when allowing Cacheman to manage memory.

Anyway, I ran OHM and the Rainmeter plugin for a couple hours yesterday without problems (save one: Rainmeter crashed once when refeshing a skin I'm building -- don't know if this is OHM related). I'm going to run OHM and the plugin all day today, so I'll know for sure if it causes crashes. But, like I said, I think it was Cacheman.
tigerlover84

Post by tigerlover84 »

I can pretty much vouch that Rainmeter gave me the blue screen. I thought it was Norton's ghost files at first, and after doing a factory reset, I used a remover tool, and for awhile the blue screen did stop. After I installed Rainmeter, I got another blue screen, showing nearly the same thing, only this time it was nice enough to pause so I could read it. I've uninstalled Rainmeter and so far I haven't had a blue screen. I'm also on Win7 and an HP, which worked much better than the sucky Dell I had awhile back (it was old) and so far I hadn't had any issues minus Norton being an idiot and Rainmeter not liking me too well.
audiophilone

Post by audiophilone »

Virus Total show me Maleware and maleware bytes too for the download link by poriu for the ohm plugin...could someone post a safety link?
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

audiophilone wrote:Virus Total show me Maleware and maleware bytes too for the download link by poriu for the ohm plugin...could someone post a safety link?
It's perfectly safe, don't worry. I am not evil :)
audiophilone

Post by audiophilone »

it is hard to create a plugin like this? i want a plugin for CPUID hardware monitor
audiophilone

Post by audiophilone »

and by the way WOT says ur internet site is maleware
Seahorse

Post by Seahorse »

World of Tanks? ;-)
"Regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"
Mike

My Skins at DeviantArt

poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

audiophilone wrote:it is hard to create a plugin like this? i want a plugin for CPUID hardware monitor
The source for this plugin is available in the first post. Not sure if HardwareMonitor has an API, might want to Google.
audiophilone wrote:and by the way WOT says ur internet site is maleware
Probably caused by the false positives. Like I said, nothing to worry about. I'm perfectly sure that there is no malware.