It is currently April 20th, 2024, 1:59 am

RainWrite

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
Kaelri
Developer

RainWrite

Post by Kaelri »

Update: Folks, hold off on using this addon for the moment. We may have another solution in the not-so-distant future. :)

-----------------------

Download RainWrite 0.9
- Please make sure you're running Rainmeter 1.3 or higher.

This addon is designed to send !RainmeterWriteKeyValue with user-provided text. When RainWrite is called, it creates a small text input field at the position of the user's mouse.

The user types a new value, then presses Enter, which writes the new value and refreshes all active Rainmeter skins. The syntax is almost identical to !RainmeterWriteKeyValue:

Code: Select all

!Execute ["#ADDONSPATH#RainWrite\RainWrite.exe" [SectionName] [KeyName] "[DefaultValue]" "[FileName]"]
FileName is the location of the file where the new value will be written. This must be a file that is accessible to Rainmeter.exe (i.e. the Skins, AppData or Program folders.)
Section Name is the section of the file.
KeyName is the key name.
DefaultValue is what will appear in the text box when it is created. If you're writing variables, I recommend that this be the current value of the variable.

Example usage:

LeftMouseUpAction=!Execute ["#ADDONSPATH#RainWrite\RainWrite.exe" Variables GmailUsername "#GmailUsername#" "#SKINSPATH#Enigma\Resources\Variables\UserVariables.inc"]
RainWrite is a modification of RainInput by JSMorley, made with his permission.
Pandora

Re: RainWrite

Post by Pandora »

Can you describe how to run this tool? That is, it sounds as if you run it as an executable, but if that is the case,
from what location should the .exe be launched from?

BTW I sent you another PM last night, in case you didn't notice :)

-Pandora
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

I did notice, just not 'til I woke up this morning. ;)

The .rmskin installer will copy RainWrite.exe to your Rainmeter Addons folder - usually C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Addons. Once it's there, your skins can use a built-in variable, #ADDONSPATH#, to reference its location.

The tool can be called with any mouse action, which is a line that is appended to a meter section. For example:

[SampleMeter]
Meter=STRING
Text="Click here to edit a variable!"
LeftMouseDownAction=!Execute ["#ADDONSPATH#RainWrite\RainWrite.exe" Variables VariableName "#VariableName#" "#SKINSPATH#YourSkinName\YourSkinVariables.inc"]
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Ah! For some reason, I didn't understand that, even after reading your first post like four times. I've been busy "porting" for lack of a better term, all my currently used skins into the new file system, which includes stylesheets stored in a Styles folder. This is proving to be a real biatch, because right now I do not know just what is allowed and what is not. In any case, hopefully I can run this tool and test it out later on today. Oh, and thanks a lot for answering so quick :)

-Pandora
Last edited by Pandora on December 3rd, 2010, 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

Update: Folks, hold off on using this addon for the moment. We may have another solution in the not-so-distant future. :)
psouza4
Developer

Post by psouza4 »

Making waves already. :D
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

psouza4 wrote:Making waves already. :D
It's ok, you just replaced complete rube goldberg / bag on the machine crap that Kaelri and I did in two days of AutoIt work with the perfect solution in 15 minutes of C#. We only hate you a little.

:D
psouza4
Developer

Post by psouza4 »

Mmm, tasty C#'s.
Klypto

Post by Klypto »

I'm confused.
Would this take input text and output it to a text file?

You also said hold off on this one, will the better way of doing this be available soon?
psouza4
Developer

Post by psouza4 »

Klypto wrote:I'm confused.
Would this take input text and output it to a text file?

You also said hold off on this one, will the better way of doing this be available soon?
Take a look at today's release notes, main page, under read more. :)