It is currently April 26th, 2024, 3:07 pm

Python Integration?

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
thorsummoner

Python Integration?

Post by thorsummoner »

Well i really like the simplicity of rainmeter to build you own custom gui, i was wondering if there way anything available to support displaying output from a python console, or python script. OR even if rainmeter could output or write some kind of output for the python code to read.

I assume probably nothing exists for this major gap in interests, but i thought i might as well ask.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Python Integration?

Post by jsmorley »

thorsummoner wrote:Well i really like the simplicity of rainmeter to build you own custom gui, i was wondering if there way anything available to support displaying output from a python console, or python script. OR even if rainmeter could output or write some kind of output for the python code to read.

I assume probably nothing exists for this major gap in interests, but i thought i might as well ask.
There is no integration with python and Rainmeter I'm afraid. As with any external 3rd party language addon (several things have been done in AutoIt and nircmd, there are things you can do to integrate by writing to Rainmeter files, sending Rainmeter !Bangs via command line, and even using Windows Messages to communicate with Rainmeter. However, nothing in Rainmeter is designed to interface with an external scripting language at this time.
thorsummoner

Post by thorsummoner »

On a second consideration, all i was looking for was a gui, considering how flexible rainmeter is graphically;
.. Well i know that rainmeter can launch applications and that good stuff. If rainmeter could be like compiled into an executable that will open rainmeter as it was when it was compiled, then a script could open these rainmeter executable at points in say an installation.
Well I'm no C coders or anythign like that, but rainmeter has such a potential of usefulness beyond a full time desktop meter.

oh and Thanks for your post jsmorley!

-Edit-
Well actually the things you suggested are probably enough to make this work; Rainmeter writes to a file, python reads that file, and changes the rainmeter skin file to reflect the changes; and just have a update rate set.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

Using Rainmeter to provide the GUI for some other application isn't a good idea. It is not what Rainmeter is designed for and would provide absolutely no benefit of any kind. You're much better of using something else for better performance and flexibility.

Edit. I might've misread your post. If so, ignore this ;)