It is currently April 20th, 2024, 10:19 am

Call for a coder to build an iTunes controller

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
gschoppe
Developer

Re: Call for a coder to build an iTunes controller

Post by gschoppe »

the eula there is talking about doing things like including chunks of iTunes in your distribution... the COM and SDK are not what is meant by "Apple Software" they refer to those as "Apple Development Tools"
elestel
Developer

Post by elestel »

gschoppe wrote:the eula there is talking about doing things like including chunks of iTunes in your distribution... the COM and SDK are not what is meant by "Apple Software" they refer to those as "Apple Development Tools"
"Apple Software" in EULA seems to contain everything in SDK:
1. License. Any software, tools, utilities, sample code, documentation, fonts and other materials accompanying this License, whether on disk, print or electronic documentation, in read only memory, or any other media, (collectively, the "Apple Software") are licensed, not sold, to you by Apple Computer, Inc. ("Apple") for use only under the terms of this License, and Apple reserves all rights not expressly granted to you. ......
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

elestel wrote:The SDK files might not be redistributed under GPL if my understanding of the EULA is correct.
From the EULA of the iTunes COM SDK:
2. Permitted Uses and Restrictions. You may use the Apple Software to (i) test the Apple Software, and (ii) to develop application software that is compatible with, and runs on the same platform as, the Apple Software. You have no right to modify, incorporate into or compile in combination with your own programs, license or otherwise distribute any portion of the Apple Software unless the Licensing Info folder (if any) included with the Apple Software expressly authorizes you to do so.

@sgtevmckay: I remember that you receive some sort of approval from Apple. Does that include redistribution as well?
I can double check
As I am understanding I am allowed to distribute to the Rainmeter community, as I have done through my website.

Let me know exactly what we are looking to distribute and I can drop a quick call to verify our wants and needs.

Based on Apple's e-mail I do not think there would be many restrictions regarding the COM/SDK, as this was designed my Apple employees in their spare time to accommodate exactly what the plugin is attempting to do.

On th eother hand it never hurts to be on the safe side:
Let me know what all we are looking at, and I can call.
I have felt that Apple's simple e-mail is not necessarily a contractual agreement, rather a simple go ahead.

I will start making Calls now :D
kenz0
Developer

Post by kenz0 »

Hi, all

Now, iTunesPlugin and WifiStatusPlugin were added to the plugins folder. But these do not have any explanations. So I'd like to request that a developer submits a part of help file.

You can refer to the format of HTML below.
example: http://www.google.com/codesearch/p?hl=en&sa=N&cd=5&ct=rc#4GgW59hxKEo/trunk/Help/Plugin-RecycleManager.htm&q=RecycleManager%20package:http://rainmeter\.googlecode\.com

Between <!-- CLIP --> and <!-- CLIP --> is contents area. And it is better to add an example.
If you upload HTML file to somewhere, I'll pick up and add to trunk.

In the future, please attach help file to the source oneself as much as possible.
Thanks

kenz0.sanada
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

@ elestel

I just wrote a similar letter to NVME, but the sentiments are the same here.

I want to apologize for not being here to test the plugin as I should be doing, but I am so grateful for the work you are doing.
As with the WiFi Plugin, I have also shed tears over this excellent accomplishment.

I am grateful that you have agreed to allow this plugin as a part of the official Rainmeter core software, and we will support it as any other part of Rainmeter.

I want to thank you for work hard work on this elestel-san

Take a bow my friend, you are doing well :D
Tsune301

Post by Tsune301 »

im sorry i dont realy understand these pluggin when i go to mirimo im not sure which file to download and ive tried the source code and the binary they end up as zip files on my desktop and i have no clue what to do after that newb question i know but i could use a little help on just how to get this wonderful addon up and running.
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

Just wait till later today, you can download and install Rainmeter 1.0 which includes the iTunes plugin. Then you have to find a skin someone has made which uses it.
KiRe

Post by KiRe »

Is the "ToggleiTunes" bang working? If so, could someone provide an example please? I'm a bit confused on how to use it.

thanks.
^ rainmeter noob.
elestel
Developer

Post by elestel »

KiRe wrote:Is the "ToggleiTunes" bang working? If so, could someone provide an example please? I'm a bit confused on how to use it.

thanks.
The plugin dll will find a window named "iTunes" and send restore/minimize message to the window when recieving "ToggleiTunes" bang.
Example:

[MeasureToggleiTunes]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\iTunesPlugin.dll
Command=ToggleiTunes

[MeterToggleiTunes]
Meter=IMAGE
X=0
Y=0
W=100
H=100
LeftMouseDownAction=!execute [!RainmeterPluginBang "MeasureToggleiTunes"]
KiRe

Post by KiRe »

So I figured out what my problem was. I was actually coding it correctly but rainmeter can't "find" iTunes if it is minimized to the system tray. Is there a way to change this? I think this should be possible, since (probably not fair to compare, but...) CD Art Display can restore from the sys tray...
^ rainmeter noob.