It is currently April 25th, 2024, 6:23 am

Call for a coder to build an iTunes controller

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
sgtevmckay

Call for a coder to build an iTunes controller

Post by sgtevmckay »

Requests for an iTunes controller have been floating around for years, apparently no one has built one for Rainmeter.

We are looking for someone to build a skin, and if necessary a plugin (dll) for this. With the help of btodoroff, and Dragonmage, I have made available the apple COM SDK for Windows package for iTunes controll

It can be downloaded here:
http://magisesse.com/rainmeter.aspx
The package to download will be:
iTunes SDK Package (Zip)

As of this time I have not gone through the package, but it is virus free, also it is the latest iTunes COM SDK for Windows from Apple.

Apple's description is as follows:
iTunes COM for Windows SDK (ZIP) 267 KB 2008-07-15
This SDK provides header files, documentation, and sample JScript files demonstrating how to use the iTunes for Windows COM interface. COM is the Microsoft technology, similar to AppleScript on Mac OS, that allows programmatic control of iTunes from languages like JScript, Visual Basic, C#, and C++. This SDK requires iTunes for Windows version 4.7 or later.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DragonMage found the following code site, with a working command line model for iTunes.
It is programmed in Ruby, and the apparent consensus is that it may not take much to turn it into a plugin.
Further details regarding the Control Helper for iTunes (itch) code site can be found at:
http://code.google.com/p/itunes-control/

The Project Owner's (jay.spamhog) description is as follows:
Allows control of iTunes for Windows via a command line. It provides all basic media controls such as play, pause, stop, next/previous track, and volume adjustment. In addition, you can search for tracks in any given playlist and perform operations on them, or retrieve information regarding them. You can also add tracks to the library, sync your iPod, and perform a variety of other operations.

DragonMage has been testing the itch software and is apparently satisfied that it is operable.
So this may also be an option to create an iTunes controller.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other options maybe available, but as of this time are unknown to us, any help would be greatly appreciated.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If someone would like to adopt this idea by all means feel free, it will be greatly appreciated.
gschoppe
Developer

Re: Call for a coder to build an iTunes controller

Post by gschoppe »

the issue I see is whether the iTunes COM license will jive with Open Source. If it will, a plugin is trivial... if it won't, then the whole interface would need to be from scratch low level stuff... which is tedious and potentially buggy.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

I do not believe ther are any limitations on use, so long as credit is given within the plugin developed.
I do not recall any other restrictions, upon signing into their site, after the legal agreement, as this is a controller, and not a direct Apple software development.

I am e-mailing the Apple Developer Licensing Board now, and will keep you updated.

Standby
elestel
Developer

Post by elestel »

I have written a small iTunes skin/plugin for myself.
However it only shows album/artist/name of the current track.
I might be able to help if there are more details available.
This controller must have some buttons like play/pause/forward.... right?
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

I would definitely like to see controls and lists, but I would also like to see just how far it can go, possibly the equalizer, and any sound graphics, but I do not recall that iTunes has any like winamp.
If we know just how far it can go, then folks can build what they want.

But I am very tired. in one of my former posts is the windows COM for iTunes, you are welcomr to download it and see if any of it will help map your current skin

and remember; have fun! :D

Also welcome to the forum :welcome:
elestel
Developer

Post by elestel »

I have done some basic control functions mapping and made an ugly skin to demo the plugin.
Source code is included if anyone is interested.

Now I have trouble finding a good way to return playlist from plugin to skin.
Need experienced skin builders to share some wisdom.
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

Testing now.
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

As for displaying the playlist, I think you would have to set it up to show a specified number of songs. We have no way of scrolling to view a huge list. I'm not sure how the playlist is being returned to the plugin, but if it would be possible to display each playlist item as a meter with %1 %2 etc. we could make a config to display the first 20 or so, then have a next button that would display 20-40, etc.

Is it possible to send the command to itunes to play a specified playlist item? We could make the meter play the item if you click on it.
aptd

Post by aptd »

elestel wrote:I have done some basic control functions mapping and made an ugly skin to demo the plugin.
Source code is included if anyone is interested.

Now I have trouble finding a good way to return playlist from plugin to skin.
Need experienced skin builders to share some wisdom.

Everything looks fine with the files, however I get the error that it can't find the .dll file even though the file is in the plugins directory. I am running vista. Maybe I am missing something? I have rebooted, restarted rainmeter and am running it as administrator.

Something tells me this is you?
http://www.obfuscatepenguin.net/code/2009/03/27/rainmeter-itunes/

Thanks for your help and time! Can't wait till the prototype works. Making a skin for it should be pretty easy.
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

Working fine in XP SP2.