It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 6:33 am

New Wifi Status Plugin

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
nvme
Developer

Re: New Wifi Status Plugin

Post by nvme »

Version 1.9 is up (check the first post of this thread), this has support for limiting the size of the network list (using WifiListLimt=X) , and does not give popups for errors ( puts warnings/errors to the rainmeter log file)

Edit: This should work fine in all versions of windows, if people can post what versions they have tested it with that would help.
Last edited by nvme on October 3rd, 2009, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

Great work nvme! I don't currently use wifi myself but when I do this will be a fantastic plugin to use.
Yelleke

Post by Yelleke »

Thank you nvme. for the WifiListLimit
it works like a charm.

:P
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Immediate test with Windows Vista 32 and 64, Windows 7 64 RC1
all work :D

I will continue testing to see about the Leak.
Let you know in a few days

Thanks for your hard work
davodavo

Re: New Wifi Status Plugin with Access Connections?

Post by davodavo »

Hi. I'm running WinXP-SP3 with IBM/Lenovo's Access Connections wireless manager. Consequently, the WiFi status info is all zeros...

Somehow, the guys at Yahoo Widgets got around this (using a different DLL...) -- does anybody know what DLL (and parameters) would be used to get the wifi status info correct?

Thanks in advance for any pointers...
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Interesting.

being that you have SP3 this plugin should be working for you.

There is one caveat in the XP environment:
Note: The PHY measure will not work properly for any windows XP user (SP2 or SP3). The feature is only supported in the API for Vista or newer systems. All networks will be reported as just 802.11g on XP systems.
More information can be ascertained from the initial posting; Here:
http://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=468&start=180#p2804
  There is a hotfix available, but you should have acquired this when you installed SP3  
Let me know

And If i have not welcomed you before:
:welcome: to the forums :D
davodavo

Post by davodavo »

Yes, I had already installed the latest plugin.

All I'm trying to get is SSID and QUALITY, but the WiFi network is not recognized as existing (as it isn't managed by Windows).

Since the Yahoo widgets meter isn't hardware dependent (or more properly, isn't confused by IBM/Lenovo's Access Connections), there is evidently some other standard DLL where this info can be interrogated.

Ideas?
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Can you give me a link to this gadget?

Also, since you are using XP, the old WiFi plugin should be available to you.
davodavo

Post by davodavo »

Sure thing...should work on nearly any laptop
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-4ZLNJB.html

Is it possible the Yahoo guys are grabbing the SSID and signal strength from the WMI service? It seems to consolidate a *lot* of stuff, but I don't know if the Rainmeter community has broken in to that...
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Unfortunately when it comes to the Windows WMI we have not ventured in that direction.
more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Management_Instrumentation

the largest immediate deterrent is the use of Drivers.
Although we would wish to move in this direction, and we may do so in the future, to get a Windows approved driver is absolutely expensive, and no where in our budget to get approval.

This is the main, current, deterrent to creating a Rainmeter based Temp monitor without using a third party plugin.

With Vista and 7, if you do not have an approved driver, these new OS's will not allow it to be installed.

There are several paid options that we have explored, but are not affordable, and Rainy is very clear that Rainmeter shall have no fiscal responsibility.

Now if someone want to pay for the service in question, the community would be grateful, and I can point the way to the most viable paid solutions.