It is currently April 24th, 2024, 1:05 am

RainIRC (BETA)

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
jsmorley
Developer

RainIRC (BETA)

Post by jsmorley »

Hey Dragonmage and all #rainmeter mIRC users...

Here is a beta version of the traytip application I talked about for notifying you when there is activity on the #rainmeter channel. It only works if you have mIRC running and have joined #rainmeter. It will not work with the Mibbit client (yet).

If you have mIRC running and minimized, it's nice to know when there is activity on the channel so you can jump in if you want.

The regular tray icon for mIRC can be set to "animate" when there is activity, but it has two problems. First, the animation is very subtle and is not likely to catch your eye when you are doing other things. Second, it animates when there is ANY activity on the channel, like people changing nicknames, people quitting the channel, and worst of all the ever present "RainBotty" notifications.

Run RainIRC, and it will hide in your system tray and monitor activity on the channel, popping up a traytip for 5 seconds (click it to dismiss earlier) very simply telling you the name of the person who made a post. It ignores joins and quits, nickname changes and best of all ignores Rainbotty... ;-)

RainIRC will ONLY pop up messages if mIRC is "minimized". You don't need constant notifications if you are actually in mIRC using it.

http://www.redirectwebhosting2.com/ghall/share/RainIRC.zip

Just unzip this anywhere and create a shortcut to it or run it directly. No installation required. To exit the program, just right click the system tray icon and select "Exit".

I will be looking at additional features as I get a chance to use it in real life and see where improvements can be made. Any suggestions are welcome.

Written in AutoIt3, will work on XP/Vista/Seven.
Last edited by jsmorley on June 18th, 2009, 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
dragonmage
Developer

Re: RainIRC (BETA)

Post by dragonmage »

Your mirc is mirc-english.exe?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

dragonmage wrote:Your mirc is mirc-english.exe?
It's "mIRC - English.exe" with spaces before and after the "-", but that is just the name of the executable. What is yours?

I use the name of the process to check to see if mIRC is running so I don't waste cycles checking the logfile for new entries if you have closed mIRC but left my app running. No point wasting CPU for nothing. Every 2 seconds I just take a quick peek to see if mIRC is running, and if not, just go back to sleep. That way I effectively use zero CPU while "idle". When you do a "does a process exist" query in Windows, it keeps track by the name of the process, which is the same as the name of the executable.

Unfortunately I'm not asking for the name of a process, which I could do some form of string search on for "mIRC" in general, but the other way around and it just returns yes or no. Let me look at another way to do it. I can read in all running process names into an array and then string search on the array to see if "mIRC*.exe" is there. That way we are not going to have problems with different versions of mIRC maybe having different executable names.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Ok, I found another way to do it which doesn't depend on the executable name. Doesn't matter what it's called now.

I updated the version in the link in the original post...