It is currently May 24th, 2019, 10:08 pm

RainThemes

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
jsmorley
Developer

Re: RainThemes

jsmorley » June 20th, 2009, 11:50 am

dragonmage wrote:Awesome! You are da man! You are seriously adding to the functionality of Rainmeter.
All based on your original idea... ;-)
jsmorley
Developer

jsmorley » June 20th, 2009, 2:30 pm

Ok, I have updated the help file and the link on the first post in this topic has the most current complete version.
cralor

cralor » June 23rd, 2009, 1:12 am

I have a RainMeter set up, but my RainMeter.ini is blank.

What do I populate Rainmeter.ini with so that I can save it's settings in RainThemes?

Thank you.
jsmorley
Developer

jsmorley » June 23rd, 2009, 1:20 am

cralor wrote:I have a RainMeter set up, but my RainMeter.ini is blank.

What do I populate Rainmeter.ini with so that I can save it's settings in RainThemes?

Thank you.
If your c:\program files\rainmeter\rainmeter.ini file is "blank", then you are running into the dreaded "UAC" issue with Window Vista / Seven. You need to:

Find Rainmeter.exe in that same directory.

Right click it, and select "properties"

Under the "Compatibility" tab, check the box "Run this program as Administrator"

click 'Ok"

Restart Rainmeter

Now it should behave properly.
cralor

cralor » June 23rd, 2009, 2:08 am

Odd.

I ran it as admin and it created a whole new "virtual space". I had 0 configs enabled but I had all my HUD's still there so I had to close each one and re-enable. Now it works perfectly ;)

FYI I also had to run RainThemes as admin as well :)

Thanks for your help and work!
jsmorley
Developer

jsmorley » June 23rd, 2009, 3:39 pm

Update: June 23, 2009

There was a small bug in the program which caused it to save your desktop wallpaper in the registry using a "relative" path which meant that when you restarted your computer the wallpaper would not be loaded correctly.

Fixed..

http://www.redirectwebhosting2.com/ghall/share/RainThemes.zip
jsmorley
Developer

jsmorley » July 21st, 2009, 4:36 pm

I have changed RainThemes to follow the behavior of the new beta build of Rainmeter available at: http://www.rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=706

RainThemes will now detect if you are running the latest version of Rainmeter and are using the APPDATA\Rainmeter folder for your Rainmeter.ini file. If so, RainThemes will use this Rainmeter.ini file and will store and retrieve theme information from APPDATA\Rainmeter\Themes.

If not, RainThemes will continue to support the old .\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini and .\Rainmeter\Themes method.

If you want to use existing themes in your .\Rainmeter\Themes folder, and are running the new beta of Rainmeter, you can MOVE the entire .\Rainmeter\Themes folder to:

Vista / Seven:

C:\Users\YourName\Appdata\Roaming\Rainmeter

XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\Application Data\Local Settings\Rainmeter

The latest version of RainThemes is available from the link on the first post in this thread, or at:

http://www.redirectwebhosting2.com/ghall/share/RainThemes.zip
dragonmage
Developer

dragonmage » July 22nd, 2009, 7:04 am

Nice work jsmorley! If I may make a suggestion though... You know I am always watching to maintain portability.

Does RainThemes check which drive it is running from before deciding to write to %appdata%? Just wondering what would happen if I run RainThemes from my portable Rainmeter. Would RainThemes check for the %appdata% ini and use that one instead of the portable one in the Rainmeter dir? That would write the portable ini to the host computers folder and ruin their local Rainmeter set up.
jsmorley
Developer

jsmorley » July 22nd, 2009, 1:25 pm

dragonmage wrote:Nice work jsmorley! If I may make a suggestion though... You know I am always watching to maintain portability.

Does RainThemes check which drive it is running from before deciding to write to %appdata%? Just wondering what would happen if I run RainThemes from my portable Rainmeter. Would RainThemes check for the %appdata% ini and use that one instead of the portable one in the Rainmeter dir? That would write the portable ini to the host computers folder and ruin their local Rainmeter set up.
Hmm.. Have to chew on this one a bit. If you plug a usb with your "portable" Rainmeter on it into someone elses computer and they have Rainmeter installed (running or not) and use RainThemes, it's going to save / load themes from .\Rainmeter\Themes on your usb UNLESS they are using the new beta and have Rainmeter.ini in APPDATA, in which case it is going to use that.

I will have to think about how to address this situation (even if it is very unlikely in normal use of Rainmeter) so it works correctly. I don't think Drive Letter is going to solve it. A user can install Rainmeter anywhere, they don't have to install it on C: so I can't just look at the drive, and APPDATA doesn't point to a specific installation of Rainmeter.
dragonmage
Developer

dragonmage » July 22nd, 2009, 3:11 pm

Maybe like I suggested for Rainmeter itself, an extra file could be added to the RainThemes folder to tell it that it is portable version. As far as the local version if it is configured to run from Addons\ then it should only be saving to the Rainmeter folder that it is running from.