It is currently May 24th, 2019, 10:10 pm

RainThemes

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
dragonmage
Developer

Re: RainThemes

dragonmage » June 16th, 2009, 6:30 pm

jsmorley wrote:
I was thinking it would just do it every time you save a theme (existing or new). Why would you ever want an old screenshot associated with a theme?
I don't think you understood what I meant. Which part made you think I was talking about not updating the screenshot?
Chewtoy

Chewtoy » June 16th, 2009, 7:40 pm

jsmorley wrote: I am concerned about the "two monitor" issue though. I guess I could just screenshot the primary (is there such a thing?) monitor, the one RainThemes is on, and we could just live with that... It's not perfect, but getting into the multiple monitors thing when I only have one myself sounds intimidating. :D As it is I have to deal with all the different screen resolutions when creating the thumbnails but I think I can do that ok while keeping the aspect ratio correct.
There is indeed a primary monitor. :)
And by default, this is where rainmeter puts the skins. You can however put your skin on the second monitor. So if someone has a primary monitor and puts all his skins on the secondary, the screenshot would be useless as it would only show an empty desktop.
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
jsmorley
Developer

jsmorley » June 16th, 2009, 8:07 pm

dragonmage wrote: I don't think you understood what I meant. Which part made you think I was talking about not updating the screenshot?
Yep, I didn't read your message correctly at all... I have thought about storing some reference to your Windows desktop wallpaper as well, but have to look into how to manage that. I like the idea, but your wallpaper is outside of the pure Rainmeter environment and I wonder if I want to go down the road of having RainThemes do "non-Rainmeter" stuff. Have to chew on this a bit.
dragonmage
Developer

dragonmage » June 16th, 2009, 10:47 pm

I don't know that wallpaper is outside of Rainmeter, in fact I've often thought that wallpaper changing should be part of Rainmeter. I mean Rainmeter is a program that can actually make your wallpaper interactive if you want it to be.

I know there can't be many people out there that run Rainmeter on a flat one color background. I'm pretty sure that people have gone out looking for wallpaper to compliment a particular Rainmeter skin, or modified a skin to suit a wallpaper they had found.
sgtevmckay

sgtevmckay » June 17th, 2009, 12:40 am

I have Mepu's HUD Vision, changer on my system and it works fine.
Problem is that you also have to have the little viewer on as well, otherwise works like a champ :D
Could Mepu's concept apply here?
jsmorley
Developer

jsmorley » June 17th, 2009, 1:28 am

dragonmage wrote:I don't know that wallpaper is outside of Rainmeter, in fact I've often thought that wallpaper changing should be part of Rainmeter. I mean Rainmeter is a program that can actually make your wallpaper interactive if you want it to be.

I know there can't be many people out there that run Rainmeter on a flat one color background. I'm pretty sure that people have gone out looking for wallpaper to compliment a particular Rainmeter skin, or modified a skin to suit a wallpaper they had found.
I did a little poking around. The wallpaper you see is not actually the image file you right clicked and said "Make this the desktop background", Windows makes a copy of it and puts it in a folder under C:\Windows and displays this copy. That is why if you delete the image file and reboot, the wallpaper is still there. Every program which can set the wallpaper (Internet Explorer, Firefox, FastStone Image Viewer, Irfanview, Picasa, just hundreds of programs) puts a copy the file wherever IT feels like putting it and just tells windows about it by setting a registry entry at "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper". So it would not be impossible to save a copy with the theme by reading the registry entry, getting the location and name, saving a copy in the theme folder and changing the registry entry to reflect its new location. I have no idea which Windows API let's you actually change the wallpaper and make Windows display it, (for when you load a theme) but it can't be too complicated, every $2.00 image viewing program seems to be able to do it.

My problem is with the entire concept. I have Rainmeter setups which lend themselves well to being "themes" but I change my wallpaper like I change my socks, am always trolling for new ones and don't think I want my wallpaper tied to a theme so I have to setup just TONS of themes to have the flexibility I like with wallpapers:

Red Theme with Wallpaper 1
Red Theme with Wallpaper 2
Dark Theme with Wallpaper 1
Dark Theme with Wallpaper 2

ect... Do you see what I mean? Guess I could make it optional. Checkbox with "Save Wallpaper with Theme?" when you save.
dragonmage
Developer

dragonmage » June 17th, 2009, 2:29 am

Oh yeah, absolutely optional. In fact, depending on my setup I might use Quickchanger to change my wallpaper at certain intervals. I've actually set up lists of wallpapers for Quickchanger to cycle through depending on my theme before.
evildaemonlady

evildaemonlady » June 17th, 2009, 11:44 pm

This is the answer to my reluctance to fiddle around with my settings for fear of never getting it back the way I want! Hip hip hooray. Works like a charm for me - on a bastardized copy of ghetto-downgraded XP pro on a vista machine :D

I used a naming system which included the background image that I use (and I keep those files organized so I know exactly where they are). Not as easy as a 1-click fixit, but it works for me.
jsmorley
Developer

jsmorley » June 20th, 2009, 2:19 am

@dragonmage...

I have added the ability to save and load your Windows desktop wallpaper with your saved themes....

I haven't updated the help yet, as every screenshot will need to be redone and I will do it tomorrow, but the functionality is there in the version on the first message in this thread.

Beat it up for me...

If you check "Save wallpaper with theme" when you save, it will get your current wallpaper location from the Windows registry and copy the file over to your theme directory as "RainThemes.bmp".

When you load a theme which has a wallpaper in its theme directory, it will set that image as your desktop background in "fit" mode. (it will attempt to make the image fit your screen resolution) and write the information to the Windows registry.

If you have not saved a wallpaper with a theme the program will load the theme as usual but won't do anything with the wallpaper.

Thought long and hard about how to deal with "saved theme with wallpaper x", "changed wallpaper" "loaded theme", "shit" and I think the best is to treat it as we do the themes in general. If you want a permanent change, you need to save the theme again, with the "Save wallpaper with theme" checked, so it is updated with the new wallpaper, otherwise it will load the old one.
dragonmage
Developer

dragonmage » June 20th, 2009, 6:07 am

Awesome! You are da man! You are seriously adding to the functionality of Rainmeter.