jsmorley » June 13th, 2009, 2:56 am

sgtevmckay wrote:Ooh

Do not forget about customize.org :D
http://customize.org/rainmeter/skins/63701
Yalishy

Re: RainThemes

Yalishy » June 16th, 2009, 1:46 pm

Works very fine for me :)

I noticed that when rainthemes relaunch rainmeter, the old rainmeter tray icon stays, and a new one appears; the old one disappear when moused over. But i'm using a custom tray icon set (here), so i don't know if it's related
jsmorley
Developer

jsmorley » June 16th, 2009, 3:13 pm

Yalishy wrote:Works very fine for me :)

I noticed that when rainthemes relaunch rainmeter, the old rainmeter tray icon stays, and a new one appears; the old one disappear when moused over. But i'm using a custom tray icon set (here), so i don't know if it's related
That is a bug in Windows system tray that they know about. It will happen with any application which is closed by some other application and not by itself. When an application closes itself, one of the things it does is "notify" the system tray to remove the icon. If you kill an application with System Explorer or some other tool that closes other programs by killing the process, the system tray is not notified until you mouse over it and it says "hey, this guy isn't here anymore" and removes the icon.

I found out when I was testing something with AutoIt, and a runaway open/close process caused about 60 Autoit icons to appear in the system tray.. ;-)

I am digging through the Windows APIs' to find a "refresh system tray" routine I can call when I kill Rainmeter. In the short term, if you are on Vista or Widnows 7, you can right click the "hidden icons" arrow on the system tray and under "customize notifications" set Rainmeter to "show only alerts" so it won't appear on the taskbar, but only on the popup "hidden system tray icons".
dragonmage
Developer

dragonmage » June 16th, 2009, 3:38 pm

If we can get the devs to put in a commandline exit for Rainmeter, you could modify RainThemes to use that instead. That would fix the ghost tray icon problem.

I was thinking about the name... What would you think of RainThemer? I kinda like how that ryhmes with Rainmeter.
jsmorley
Developer

jsmorley » June 16th, 2009, 3:50 pm

dragonmage wrote:If we can get the devs to put in a commandline exit for Rainmeter, you could modify RainThemes to use that instead. That would fix the ghost tray icon problem.

I was thinking about the name... What would you think of RainThemer? I kinda like how that ryhmes with Rainmeter.
Yeah a more graceful way of stopping Rainmeter than getting the process ID and stopping the process would be better. I haven't really dug into it, but at least in earlier (Win98/XP) versions of Windows this could also leave DLL's used by the application using memory which isn't released until Windows does it's periodic "memory cleanup" routines as cleaning up used resources is another thing an application does when it shuts itself down. There is no harm really, as Windows handles things pretty well, but it would be better if I could tell Rainmeter to exit rather than shooting it from the grassy knoll.

Have to think about RainThemer. Already have Rainmeter and Rainlander confusing me since they look so much alike.. ;-)

My next advance for RainThemes is a concept I had to:

When you save a theme, it will minimize all windows, take a screenshot of your desktop, reduce the screenshot to a thumbnail, and save it with the theme. Then when you click on a theme in the list you get a thumbnail of what the theme looks like before you load it, or maybe just change the list so it has thumbnails next to each entry. (probably collapsible so you can have the view with thumbnails or the plain list)
dragonmage
Developer

dragonmage » June 16th, 2009, 5:13 pm

I thought about the thumbnail thing, but didn't want to put to much work on you. I think one large thumbnail shown when you select a theme would be better than a bunch of small ones next to the names.

Since you seem eager to put more work on yourself though, ;) why not make an optional "Save Wallpaper With Theme" that changes the wallpaper as well as the Rainmeter theme?
Chewtoy

Chewtoy » June 16th, 2009, 5:36 pm

Word of cation to you.
Think about us that use multiple monitors so you don't just take a screenshot of one screen. Or a screenshot of both but not having enough space for the image to be shown correctly.
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
jsmorley
Developer

jsmorley » June 16th, 2009, 6:18 pm

Chewtoy wrote:Word of cation to you.
Think about us that use multiple monitors so you don't just take a screenshot of one screen. Or a screenshot of both but not having enough space for the image to be shown correctly.
VERY good point... I am monitor challenged myself, so I couldn't even test such a thing.
jsmorley
Developer

jsmorley » June 16th, 2009, 6:23 pm

dragonmage wrote:I thought about the thumbnail thing, but didn't want to put to much work on you. I think one large thumbnail shown when you select a theme would be better than a bunch of small ones next to the names.

Since you seem eager to put more work on yourself though, ;) why not make an optional "Save Wallpaper With Theme" that changes the wallpaper as well as the Rainmeter theme?
I was thinking it would just do it every time you save a theme (existing or new). Why would you ever want an old screenshot associated with a theme?

I am concerned about the "two monitor" issue though. I guess I could just screenshot the primary (is there such a thing?) monitor, the one RainThemes is on, and we could just live with that... It's not perfect, but getting into the multiple monitors thing when I only have one myself sounds intimidating. :D As it is I have to deal with all the different screen resolutions when creating the thumbnails but I think I can do that ok while keeping the aspect ratio correct.