It is currently May 25th, 2019, 2:19 pm

RainThemes

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
jsmorley
Developer

RainThemes

jsmorley » June 11th, 2009, 3:27 pm

RainThemes is a Windows application I am working on to allow you to manage "Themes" for Rainmeter. In other words, save configurations (which skins are loaded, where they are positioned, etc) under a name you define and let you quickly load, rename, and delete these "Themes".

It is in the early stages, dragonmage and I have been working on what features should be included and how it should work. It is fully functional now however, and I would be glad to have others take a look at it.

The latest version will always be available at this link:
http://www.redirectwebhosting2.com/ghall/share/RainThemes.zip

Use:

You MUST put it in your home "Rainmeter" folder (Default is C:\Program Files\Rainmeter)

When you first load it it will be empty of course:

Start by saving your current configuration:

It will create a new folder ".\Rainmeter\Themes\ThemeName" and will put the current Rainmeter.ini file in there as Rainmeter.thm. When you "Load", it will replace the Rainmeter.ini file with your theme file and restart Rainmeter. Works slick! ;-)

Change your Rainmeter setup (add and remove skins, move them, etc) and "Save" under a different name. Then you can load any "Theme" at any time.

Now try out the "Delete" and "Rename" functions to be sure they work ok.

Since this creates "Folders" to store the "Theme" in, you must follow Windows folder naming rules...

You can't rename a theme to a name already used by another theme..
Last edited by jsmorley on June 23rd, 2009, 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: RainThemes

jsmorley » June 11th, 2009, 3:31 pm

Dragonmage,

I changed the name it saves the Rainmeter.ini file as in the "\Skins\Themes\ThemeName folder. I save them as "Rainmeter.thm" instead of "Rainmeter.ini" as the context menu for Rainmeter was seeing them as "skins" since they had the .ini extension and that was just wrong and confusing.

It renames the file back to Rainmeter.ini when it "loads" the theme of course.

A better approach might be to save them under Rainmeteter\Themes instead of Rainmeter\Skins\Themes to eliminate any confusion.
jsmorley
Developer

jsmorley » June 11th, 2009, 4:07 pm

Added File/Exit and Help/About to the menu bar.
jsmorley
Developer

jsmorley » June 11th, 2009, 4:13 pm

In thinking about it, moving the "Themes" folder to the home Rainmeter folder makes complete sense. I have fixed the program to behave this way. If you already have a "Rainmeter\Skins\Themes" folder with saved themes, just move that "Themes" folder to \Rainmeter and nothing is lost.

The link in the first post has the latest version.
jsmorley
Developer

jsmorley » June 11th, 2009, 4:49 pm

Dragonmage,

I have added "command line" capabilities for "loading" themes. I will look later at extending this to "saving", "deleting" and "renaming" as well.

So from a DOS/CMD prompt or in a Windows shortcut, the command line format is:

RainThemes.exe /load "ThemeName"

The quotes around ThemeName are required if your name has spaces in it, but optional if not.

The entire command line is "case insensitive". "/load", "/LOAD, "My Theme" and "my theme" all work.

It will load the named theme and restart Rainmeter. The GUI will not load.

The latest version is in a link in the first post.
dragonmage
Developer

dragonmage » June 11th, 2009, 4:53 pm

Yes, Rainmeter\Themes\ is a better idea. I'm so loving this. Now we can distribute themes with skins already positioned, and people will just have to copy and paste their text editor and such in. I actually have an idea to submit to the devs which would solve that issue to. Moving the text editor selection to a GlobalVariables.ini. It could also be used for things like setting a location for weather monitors, we just have skin designers use a common variable. #AccuweatherLocation#

Put it in the GlobalVariables.ini and you only ever have to put the url in once, every skin using that would pick it up.
jsmorley
Developer

jsmorley » June 11th, 2009, 5:01 pm

dragonmage wrote:Yes, Rainmeter\Themes\ is a better idea. I'm so loving this. Now we can distribute themes with skins already positioned, and people will just have to copy and paste their text editor and such in. I actually have an idea to submit to the devs which would solve that issue to. Moving the text editor selection to a GlobalVariables.ini. It could also be used for things like setting a location for weather monitors, we just have skin designers use a common variable. #AccuweatherLocation#

Put it in the GlobalVariables.ini and you only ever have to put the url in once, every skin using that would pick it up.
That would be cool... While you are asking, PLEASE have them fix Rainmeter to recognize paths not in the ancient 8.3 DOS format for the default text editor. It requires

ConfigEditor="C:\PROGRA~1\IDMCOM~1\ULTRAE~1\Uedit32.exe"

and will not recognize:

ConfigEditor="C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\Uedit32.exe"

for my editor now... That is just silly and makes Rainmeter look unprofessional to a new user.
jsmorley
Developer

jsmorley » June 11th, 2009, 5:12 pm

Now I just need to build a .chm help file for the thing and it's about done as a 1.0 beta release.

Just need some feedback from those running with UAC set to various levels, those using non-admin accounts, those with Rainmeter not in the default "C:\Program Files\Rainmeter" location, anything else we can think of to break it.

Any good freeware .chm building software out there?
jsmorley
Developer

jsmorley » June 11th, 2009, 10:23 pm

Never mind... Microsoft provides a good free .chm builder/compiler.

Added a .chm help file as part of the application...

Latest version is in a link on the first post.
jsmorley
Developer

jsmorley » June 12th, 2009, 6:37 pm

Posted RainThemes on DeviantArt so we can get some feedback.

[deviantart]125687853[/deviantart]