It is currently May 27th, 2020, 3:36 am

Universal email checker (POP, IMAP, Gmail, Protonmail)

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
element

Universal email checker (POP, IMAP, Gmail, Protonmail)

Post by element »

Another Samurize plugin recompiled for Rainmeter. This plugin can check new email on several mailserver types: POP, IMAP, Gmail (Atom) and Protonmail. For each email, the plugin can retrieve the subject, the sender and the arrival time. The numeric value is the number of unread messages.

Details, instructions, latest version:
http://permetix.com/rainmeter/index.php?page=email

A sample skin: 2 messages from 3 mailservers. The skin drops down / collapses, depending on messages. Sample code:

Code: Select all

[msGmail]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=EmailChecker
ServerType=GmailAtom
Username=[username]
PasswordFile=[yourpasswordfile]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by element on May 10th, 2020, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mak_kawa

Re: Universal email checker (POP, IMAP, Gmail, Protonmail)

Post by mak_kawa »

Really great plugin, amazing (at least for me)... O.O I will try this later, thanks a lot.
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Hi element

I have made my email checker skin using your plugin. Everything works well as expected. Thanks a lot again.
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Hi element

I have made my email checker skin with reference to your Email_subject_user_time.ini in the package. And, in the plugin measures, there is a option line AddLine=1, which seems to be not in your documents page. What does this option mean?

And, in your plugin measure, the option to specify server adress is ServerAddress=. But in your page, the option is described as Address. Possibly this seems to be a typo.

Anyway, your plugin is working fine in my skin. Really fantastic. I deeply appreciate your effort for the development.
As far as I know, there is no method in Rainmeter using direct mail protocols, not WebParser scraping. Am I right? I am not sure about poiru's IMAP4 plugin story... does anyone know?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Very promising indeed... I particularly like the use of inline measure values in the String meters, rather than having to create a boatload of "child" measures. Well done!
element

Post by element »

mak_kawa wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 7:15 am
there is a option line AddLine=1
Originally, I wanted to print out one entire column of info (e.g. all email subjects, one under the other) with just one meter, which would be more compact. To print subjects from messages 0 through 2, one below the other, the syntax would be:

Code: Select all

Text=[&msGmail:GetData("(subject) ((fromuser))","0-2")]
The AddLine= is a remnant of this attempt: it would (optionally) print a separator line at the bottom of the column "-----------". This way I wouldn't need a separate Shape (Line) meter in the skin. The decision to print/not print the separator (if there are no messages) is much easier made in the plugin, rather than all the hiding / showing in the skin. In other words, instead of multiple calls to the plugin + a separate Line meter + separator management, all would be done in one go in the plugin.

Why this doesn't work is two-fold:
1) Rainmeter doesn't seem to respect newline characters in a string: it won't print a column of strings, one under the other
2) Rainmeter parses a formula only once. Even if my plugin spits out #CRFL or [\13][\10] as part of its output, it's too late, the section variable has already been parsed (once), so you'll just get these strings literally in the output, not separate lines.

This is why the demo string has the #CRFL# right in the Text= option, between two separate calls to the plugin.
Last edited by element on May 11th, 2020, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Hi element

Thank you for clarification. Your plugin is really valuable for the Rainmeter world, and will live with me from now on. :-)