It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 8:53 pm

Windows/Yahoo widgets to Rainmeter

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
singinfool

Windows/Yahoo widgets to Rainmeter

Post by singinfool »

Has anyone developed a translator to turn windows gadgets or yahoo widgets to be incorporated in rainmaker. I have a time tracking app that I think would be pretty simple with an API (if anyone would like some contract work for this, PM me) but it got me thinking that it might be a huge value to provide guidance or a tool to do this so people could leave the over-bearing ways of Windows & Yahoo and do something simple, that works: rainmaker.

Any ideas? :D
Last edited by singinfool on February 24th, 2010, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Windows/Yahoo widgets to Rainmaker

Post by Alex2539 »

One word: Impossible.
ImageImageImageImage
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Alex2539 wrote:One word: Impossible.
And possibly illegal.
singinfool

Post by singinfool »

Well there ya have it!
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

And it's Rainmeter... We don't dance in a circle and chant to the rain gods... ;-)
singinfool

Re: Windows/Yahoo widgets to Rainmeter

Post by singinfool »

Ha! Trueche.

I have been thinking about this more and it seems like taking the XML schema to C++ should be something someone could implement. I'm just talking about finding a way to make a bridge.

Or should I just start from scratch from my API and see how I can make it work? I'm obviously new to this all (rainmaker = rookie move) but I'm really interested in making my desktop functional and, while the gadgets are nice and all, they get in the way and distract.

Where is square one? :)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

You are welcome to give it a go any way you like, but my recommendation is to just install Rainmeter, learn how to create skins, take a look at the Yahoo Widgets you like, and replicate the functionality using Rainmeter.

If you do a google search for "Vista Rainbar" you will find a set of skins that does a pretty faithful replication of some Vista Sidebar Gadgets. All created from scratch in Rainmeter by the author.

Any thought of some kind of "translator" is pie in the sky. Aside from probably being illegal, there is more to commercial "gadgets" than just some XML. There is an underlying application engine, and guess what, it isn't Rainmeter.
maminscris

Post by maminscris »

yahoo widgets was good when it name was konfabulator, the it was screwed, now exist Rainmeter, witch is a lot easy to use, and create skins, that java/xml yahoo widget, I quit it when i learn how to make my own Rainmeter skins, and now i have what i like on my desk.

Just name a widget that shows iTunes artwork, or changes desktop wallpaper (and grabs it from a site not from computer), and that is why Rainmeter is THE BEST, and we do not need any other gadget or widgets
Zero at programing, zero at writing codes, so far 2 at making images
But I'm good at copy/paste, and I not always like this
wasky1

Post by wasky1 »

hehe rainmaker! .. chuckles!

anyhow Rainmeter is an exellent replacement to windows/yahoo gadgets and it uses very little system resources. One way to figure the code of a skin is to download a couple of from the rainmeter section on DeviantArt that look good to you and change some lines of code and see the result.
good luck! and welcome to rainmeter.
singinfool

Post by singinfool »

I'm not too worried about the look and feel, more concerned with getting the information from the website.

In short, I use http://www.getHarvest.com as a time tracking app and want to have my projects, tasks and the start/pause buttons shown on my rainmeter interface in a simple, clean fashion. They have an API, but not sure where to go from there...

Thanks for your help!