It is currently April 19th, 2024, 2:27 pm

NomFerp Plugin

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: New PerfMon Plugin

Post by Yincognito »

If ailia post an update with this feature and a new name for his plugin :D , please post an example skin.
I would gladly do it, but if you're curious, that "example skin" would look pretty much like this, except instead of "Process ID" it would display CPU usage, memory usage or other counter's info, in an orderly (sorted) fashion.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
fred_gaou

Post by fred_gaou »

And you need to see the tree of every process permanently attached to your desktop (if yes please tell the point instead just the 3 of 5 top one, just curious) or you will call it with a button?
  • Rainmeter 4.3.1.3321 64-bit (Sep 22 2019) - French (1036)
  • Windows 10 Pro 1909 64-bit (build 18363) - French (1036)
  • Path: D:\Programmes\Customisation\Rainmeter\
  • SkinPath: D:\Programmes\Customisation\Rainmeter\Skins\
  • SettingsPath: D:\Programmes\Customisation\Rainmeter\
  • IniFile: D:\Programmes\Customisation\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Of course I wouldn't want the tree of every process permanently attached to my desktop. I just provided the link as some sort of "visual" preview of what I had in mind.

I would implement that more like an ordinary size limited skin, but with a scrolling ability or some up/down buttons to easily "navigate" without taking up too much desktop space.

For God's sake, I'm working my mind out thinking how to further minimize my skin collection (which is ALREADY using a font size of 7 and is tweaked up with negative padding to reduce space between lines, LOL). In the end, I guess I'll decide between Poiru's Gnometer popup variant, a scrolling variant, an up/down button variant or a combination between these.
please tell the point instead just the 3 of 5 top one, just curious
Well, Fred, I would answer your question with another one : what is the point of task manager showing all the processes, instead of top 3 or 5? Please ask Microsoft if you have doubts, haha.

It's simple : because it CAN be done, because SOMETIMES it may be useful, and because the whole point of Rainmeter is to nicely display on the desktop things that you can have access to anyway, just because it's easier and more visually appealing. You can see the CPU usage in task manager, the disk usage when you open up explorer, the temps if you open up a monitoring program, the net in/net out checking stats in your firewall, etc, etc. Why do you use Rainmeter to display them then? Why ALL of them? Same answer : because it can be done, and because it's way cooler that way.

P.S. And I did point out this is NOT a feature that I request, or I'm pushing ailia to do it. But it's a feature that COULD be requested and a feature that CAN be sometimes useful. Right? :D
cwfrizzell

Post by cwfrizzell »

ailia wrote:All options are case sensitive!

Parent Measure Options:
Category=Name of the perfmon category to load
Order=Name of the perfmon counter to sort the category
Filter=Names of instances to exclude from final output seperated by |
Mode=See mode section below
I'm having trouble configuring the filter. Here's how I have it set up currently:

Code: Select all

[MeasureListMemory]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=NomFerp.dll
Order=Working Set - Private
Filter=_Total|svchost
OnUpdateAction=[!UpdateMeasureGroup All]
It blocks _Total without issue. In addition, I tried blocking other programs, including other services, and had no problem. It's just svchost. Note I have paid close attention to case sensitivity and have also tried blocking svchost.exe without success. I even tried it in single and double quotes, as well with spaces around | .

Any ideas?
Cheers!

Chuck
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Strange, it works fine for me.

[MeasureListMemory]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=NomFerp.dll
Filter=_Total|svchost

About the only thing I can suggest you at least try is to ensure that your skin .ini file is encoded as either ANSI or UTF-16 Little Endian. I'd be tempted to go with UTF-16 Little Endian, to remove any "locale" issues from the mix.
cwfrizzell

Post by cwfrizzell »

jsmorley wrote:Strange, it works fine for me.

[MeasureListMemory]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=NomFerp.dll
Filter=_Total|svchost

About the only thing I can suggest you at least try is to ensure that your skin .ini file is encoded as either ANSI or UTF-16 Little Endian. I'd be tempted to go with UTF-16 Little Endian, to remove any "locale" issues from the mix.
It's ANSI encoded. I'm using Notepad++ and don't see UTF-16 Little Endian as an option. That said, I tried encoding in what was available: ANSI, UTF-8 without BOM, UTF-8, UCS-2 Big Endian and UCS-2 Little Endian. None fixed the problem, while UCS-2 Big Endian shut down the skin entirely. Note this is an English language build with no locale issues of which I'm aware.
Cheers!

Chuck
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

cwfrizzell wrote: It's ANSI encoded. I'm using Notepad++ and don't see UTF-16 Little Endian as an option. That said, I tried encoding in what was available: ANSI, UTF-8 without BOM, UTF-8, UCS-2 Big Endian and UCS-2 Little Endian. None fixed the problem, while UCS-2 Big Endian shut down the skin entirely. Note this is an English language build with no locale issues of which I'm aware.
Well, it was worth a try. In Notepad++ UTF-16 is "UCS-2 Little Endian", just for future reference.

So I have no idea why it isn't working for you. Seems to work just fine for me.

3.2.0 beta r2384 64-bit (Mar 20 2015)
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit (build 9600)

You might try running Rainmeter "As administrator" and not, to see if there is any difference.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

It's just svchost. Note I have paid close attention to case sensitivity and have also tried blocking svchost.exe without success. I even tried it in single and double quotes, as well with spaces around | .

Any ideas?
Well, I have one, I hope it's not a bad one - bear in mind that all svchost.exe processes come with "#n" after the "svchost" string, where n is some ID number assigned by the OS. My only guess for why your code isn't working is that you didn't take the above into account. These svchost processes are treated as different entries by the PerfMon queries. Try blocking "svchost#2" for example, see if it helps. If it does, you must find a way to instruct NomFerp to exclude these svchost processes using a technique RegExp-wise.

Other than that, if nothing works (and my guess is wrong), you could still "block" the svchost processes from showing by hiding the relevant meters. Of course the easiest way would still be for you to be able to properly exclude them directly...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote: Well, I have one, I hope it's not a bad one - bear in mind that all svchost.exe processes come with "#n" after the "svchost" string, where n is some ID number assigned by the OS. My only guess for why your code isn't working is that you didn't take the above into account. These svchost processes are treated as different entries by the PerfMon queries. Try blocking "svchost#2" for example, see if it helps. If it does, you must find a way to instruct NomFerp to exclude these svchost processes using a technique RegExp-wise.

Other than that, if nothing works (and my guess is wrong), you could still "block" the svchost processes from showing by hiding the relevant meters. Of course the easiest way would still be for you to be able to properly exclude them directly...
I'm quite sure it isn't that, as long as he is using the latest version of the plugin. The plugin already ignores any "#X" at the end of processes when used in the Filter option. Need to make sure you have the latest plugin by installing the .rmskin at:

http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=109537#p109537
Fixed filtering to ignore perfmon instance numbers
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

The plugin already ignores any "#X" at the end of processes when used in the Filter option.
I didn't notice that, I didn't try to exclude other processes other than _Total and Idle. My mistake then, as I already had the last version of the plugin and still hadn't open my eyes properly in order to give a good advice.

Thank you for the "update" reminder though, I should check for updates more often than I do :thumbup: