It is currently March 29th, 2024, 7:02 am

A tool for Pinning Rainmeter to desktop [vista, windows7]

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
bsmagic

A tool for Pinning Rainmeter to desktop [vista, windows7]

Post by bsmagic »

The PinRainmeter2desktop allows you keeping the rainmeter windows always open on the desktop, preventing them from being minimized by "Show Desktop" or "Win+Z".

Usage:
Just click to run it.

Exit:
Win+Z

Tested on windows7, Rainmeter 1.1.

tags: pin desktop windows7 vista stick

download the latest version:
http://neion.googlecode.com/files/pinRainmeter2desktop.rar
jsmorley
Developer

Re: A tool for Pinning Rainmeter to desktop [vista, windows7]

Post by jsmorley »

bsmagic wrote:The PinRainmeter2desktop allows you keeping the rainmeter windows always open on the desktop, preventing them from being minimized by "Show Desktop" or "Win+Z".

Usage:
Just click to run it.

Exit:
Win+Z

Tested on windows7, Rainmeter 1.1.

tags: pin desktop windows7 vista stick

download the latest version:
http://neion.googlecode.com/files/pinRainmeter2desktop.rar
Thanks for sharing this.

Gets close to the correct functionality but messes up the function of Win+D (or clicking on the "show desktop" button, as they are no longer a "toggle" when running this utility. Looks like this remaps those functions to Win+M, which I have done before with AutoIt, and discarded it as all it does is replace the very useful Win+D with the annoying Win+M / Win+Shift+M combination.

I think we are still looking for a way to really use "Show Desktop" Win7 that doesn't hide Rainmeter while keeping the way that function works intact.
bsmagic

Post by bsmagic »

Thanks for sharing this.

Gets close to the correct functionality but messes up the function of Win+D (or clicking on the "show desktop" button, as they are no longer a "toggle" when running this utility. Looks like this remaps those functions to Win+M, which I have done before with AutoIt, and discarded it as all it does is replace the very useful Win+D with the annoying Win+M / Win+Shift+M combination.

I think we are still looking for a way to really use "Show Desktop" Win7 that doesn't hide Rainmeter while keeping the way that function works intact.
Thanks for the reply. This tool doesn’t remap the functions to "Win+M", it just capture the message sent by "Win+D" .
bsmagic

Post by bsmagic »

jsmorley wrote:
Thanks for sharing this.

Yes!!! "We are still looking for ...".

A considerable solution is to simulate the Windows sidebar gadgets. But as what one Microsoft staff said:
"After consulting with our internal resources, I got confirmed that there is no supported way to do what you want. My previous post mentioned the Gadgets in Windows Vista/7 did it right because the Desktop and Gadgets know each other so when Win+D is pr..." (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winforms/thread/dd5aee29-fa74-48f6-9c0b-1ae1d780990a)
MattKing
Developer

Post by MattKing »

bsmagic wrote: Yes!!! "We are still looking for ...".

A considerable solution is to simulate the Windows sidebar gadgets. But as what one Microsoft staff said:

Yes I've worked on doing this a bit, its hard to get the exact solution.

I've tried making Rainmeter a child to the Desktop, no worky, then I tried making it a child of the window that displays the desktop icons, sort of worky.

One solution is to make a timer to check if the desktop window is on top of everything and then put Rainmeter on top of that, I don't like this solution.
atleastitried

Post by atleastitried »

Works great thanks man! It's really helpful. :thumbsu:
gurmeet.athwal

Re: A tool for Pinning Rainmeter to desktop [vista, windows7

Post by gurmeet.athwal »

I wrote a small code in visual basic to pin an application to desktop even on windows 7 or windows vista. but don't know how to port it to c language. if someone can port it to c language i can provide the code so it can be added to rainmeter source code to make it still visible even when win+d is pressed or show desktop is clicked :)
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

gurmeet.athwal wrote:I wrote a small code in visual basic to pin an application to desktop even on windows 7 or windows vista. but don't know how to port it to c language. if someone can port it to c language i can provide the code so it can be added to rainmeter source code to make it still visible even when win+d is pressed or show desktop is clicked :)
Have you tried to right-click a skin -> Settings -> Position -> On Desktop?

Or would your solution get rid of the flicker present in the current On Desktop method? If so, upload the source somewhere. Never worked with VB, but I'll take a look.
gurmeet.athwal

Post by gurmeet.athwal »

poiru wrote: Have you tried to right-click a skin -> Settings -> Position -> On Desktop?

Or would your solution get rid of the flicker present in the current On Desktop method? If so, upload the source somewhere. Never worked with VB, but I'll take a look.
yes I tried th On Desktop method but sometimes it does not work on windows 7.
anyways I have attached the source files. Its a bit crazy when you take a look at it..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

gurmeet.athwal wrote: yes I tried th On Desktop method but sometimes it does not work on windows 7.
Be interesting to discover what about your system is causing this. We have over 250,000 people using Rainmeter, and you are the only person I know of that has this problem. If you set skins to "On Desktop", they always stay visible when you use Show Desktop or Win-M.