It is currently April 16th, 2024, 6:05 pm

HwINFO question

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
jeffhobson

HwINFO question

Post by jeffhobson »

When I tried to get a script working, it returned zeros for the results. I thought it was some error on my part (It still may be) I noticed that the HWINFO.INC file supplied as an example has Sensor ID values of the form 0x........ (8 hex digits following the 0x). When I run the shared memory viewer and retrieve the values for my machine, they only have 7 hex digits following the 0x for the entry details . I wonder if that is the reason for my script not working or is it OK for only 7 digits if the first one is a zero (logical following arithmetic convention). I notice in the sample there are some values that are of the form 0x.. (only 2 hex digits). All of the sample's Sensor ID values are a full 8 hex digits same as my SensorID's but the 'entry details' values for my machine are only 7 hex digits where the sample ones are 2 to3 hex digits. An example from the sample has the Sensor Id for the CPU at 0xf0000300, the same as mine, but the value for the core0clock is 0xd0 for the sample and 0x6000000 for mine. Is it a coincidence that 6 hex is 0110 and 'D' hex is 1101? To me, I see a missing interior binary one in mine to change it from a 6 to a 'd'. I cannot explain why my value (if corrected as I think it needs to be) would be 'D000000' not the D0 the sample has. I cannot believe the viewer program has an error in it that somehow returns incorrect hex values. I may have a hardware error or be missing some basic convention that the codes from the viewer have an assumed digit that I have somehow missed noticing. If there was a way to copy the output from my viewer to this post, you may see what I am talking about. I could copy the script to a post for further illustration. BTW, other RM scripts running get the necessary values right and display them as I expect.
Last edited by jeffhobson on February 18th, 2015, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't lose heart, someone may want it and not waste time with a messy search
jsmorley
Developer

Re: HwINFO question

Post by jsmorley »

Just copy and paste directly from the Shared Memory Viewer, so you get exactly what is there. What is there has always been correct for me, and certainly a hex number doesn't have to be any particular number of characters.
1.png
So for the temperature of my CPU above, in my .inc file I have:

Code: Select all

HWiNFODesc1=CPU Chip
HWiNFOSensorId1=0xf0000501
HWiNFOSensorInstance1=0x0
HWiNFOEntryId1=0x1000000
HWiNFOType1=CurrentValue
HWiNFOMin1=15
HWiNFOMax1=90
and in my .ini skin file I have:

Code: Select all

[MeasureHWiNFO1]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=HWiNFO
HWiNFOSensorId=#HWiNFOSensorId1#
HWiNFOSensorInstance=#HWiNFOSensorInstance1#
HWiNFOEntryId=#HWiNFOEntryId1#
HWiNFOType=#HWiNFOType1#
MinValue=#HWiNFOMin1#
MaxValue=#HWiNFOMax1#
UpdateDivider=5
The important thing is to be sure you are using the latest versions of everything. Not so much cause "new is better", but because there can be a mismatch that will not allow things to work.

http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=105365#p105365

Latest release 4.47 or better version of HWiNFO
Latest 2.0.0 or better version of the HWiNFO plugin for Rainmeter
Latest 3.1 or better version of Rainmeter.
2.png
3.png
4.png
Then just run HWiNFO, make sure "Shared Memory Support" is checked in its settings.
Run the Shared Memory Viewer, and copy and paste the information you need from that to the various options in your Rainmeter skin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeffhobson

Post by jeffhobson »

When I looked at the 'plugin' list. the 'DLL' file was not there. That is why it is failing. The paths for the various elements are:

C:\Users\Jeff\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\HWInfo\@Resources\RedistrutablePlugin\64-bit ('DLL' File)
C:\Users\Jeff\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\HWInfo\@Resources (my inc file, General Variables.inc, Viewer program, images, Fonts)
C:\Users\Jeff\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\HWInfo (my 'ini file)

I did a reload of all skins and the sample skin is also devoid of data. I loaded the mskin file and followed the paths for each of the various 'inc' and 'ini' files for my new skin. The first step is to get the 'dll' file to be in the right place. Please take a look at the paths and redirect me to get them right. Thanks
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Assuming you are 64bit, then you want the 64bit HWinfo.dll to be in:

C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Plugins
jeffhobson

Post by jeffhobson »

It is. Refresh all shows no change. it still does not show up in the 'plugins' tab of about.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

jeffhobson wrote:It is. Refresh all shows no change. it still does not show up in the 'plugins' tab of about.
That tells me you probably have a different "bit" version of the plugin than what your Rainmeter.exe "bit" version is.
jeffhobson

Post by jeffhobson »

Totally removed the HwInfo skin and it's support then reloaded it all and it now works. I think some way when I initial loaded the suite, it went haywire and put the wrong thing in the wrong place. Now I just have to design a good display for the data. Thanks for the guidance, I would have never known the basic reason was that the 'dll' was missing from the skin suite. BTW.. there is only the HwInfo dll in the \AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Plugins directory. I guess the other plugins that RM uses are somewhere else. As long as it works.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

jeffhobson wrote:Totally removed the HwInfo skin and it's support then reloaded it all and it now works. I think some way when I initial loaded the suite, it went haywire and put the wrong thing in the wrong place. Now I just have to design a good display for the data. Thanks for the guidance, I would have never known the basic reason was that the 'dll' was missing from the skin suite. BTW.. there is only the HwInfo dll in the \AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Plugins directory. I guess the other plugins that RM uses are somewhere else. As long as it works.
Yes, the "built-in" plugins in Rainmeter are in C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Plugins. That folder in %Appdata% is where 3rd-party plugins are installed.

Glad you got it working.