It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:09 am

AudioLevel

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
Dank420

Re: New Plugin: AudioLevel

Post by Dank420 »

-thank you for Input's output

-polar vu beta.. snazzy... looks like a new border standard for round now playing images (lest image masking happens, or even still...)
killall-q

Post by killall-q »

Thanks for allowing attack and decay to be set.

I see Type=Peak is just RMS with different default settings.

You don't need a parent and then L and R channels, you can make one channel the parent for the other. You should put AntiAlias=1 on the needles and their shadows.
dgrace
Developer

Post by dgrace »

Ok got real-time device polling working.

Peak and RMS are actually calculated differently. For a given sample x, peak takes abs(x) and filters it according to the envelope settings. RMS does sqr(x), filters that, then returns sqrt(filtered(x)). (root-mean-squared). With a 0ms attack, peak will show if you have any samples that are above a given threshold - you're tracking the absolute value of the actual sample values.

Rock on,

dave
dgrace
Developer

Post by dgrace »

Cool! Thanks, I didn't know about the AntiAlias property. ;)

dave
killall-q

Post by killall-q »

Oh, I'm liking peak a lot more, visualizations actually match the audio. Try watching a movie with the new PolarVU.
exper1mental

Post by exper1mental »

killall-q wrote:Here's a port of PolarCPU: PolarVU.
I could see this being used as an animation for on-screen subwoofers and speakers :D
killall-q

Post by killall-q »

exper1mental wrote:I could see this being used as an animation for on-screen subwoofers and speakers :D
Duplicate PolarVU and make the following modifications to PolarPulse.ini:

Code: Select all

[mRMS]
Channel=L/R

[mAlpha1]
Formula=mRMS * 364
Then listen: The Dark Knight - Why So Serious?
killall-q

Post by killall-q »

BUG: Playing audio or video locally and then closing the player while playing will cause the sound to be "stuck" in a horrible buzzing fashion.

I can replicate this with both 1.0.2 and 1.0.5 (don't have 1.0.0), with VLC and MPlayer. Windows Media Player doesn't glitch out as much, I suspect due to WMP stopping playback properly when exiting. I've tried all the output methods in VLC with the same results (DirectX, WaveOut, Windows Multimedia Device). The buzz can be fixed by playing any audio and stopping properly. This only manifests while the plugin is loaded.

My audio output device is Realtek HD Audio.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

killall-q wrote:BUG: Playing audio or video locally and then closing the player while playing will cause the sound to be "stuck" in a horrible buzzing fashion.

I can replicate this with both 1.0.2 and 1.0.5 (don't have 1.0.0), with VLC and MPlayer. Windows Media Player doesn't glitch out as much, I suspect due to WMP stopping playback properly when exiting. I've tried all the output methods in VLC with the same results (DirectX, WaveOut, Windows Multimedia Device). The buzz can be fixed by playing any audio and stopping properly. This only manifests while the plugin is loaded.

My audio output device is Realtek HD Audio.
I didn't get quite the same thing, but if I am playing a video (say in VLC) and just close the player while the skin / plugin is running, the level gets "stuck" on the last received value until I refresh the skin, or play some other sound. Not a big deal at all, just adding it to the list of observed quirks.

-- Also Realtek High Definition Audio.
2014-07-16_173214.jpg
dgrace
Developer

Post by dgrace »

Yeah I'm getting the same thing as jsmorley, which may be somewhat of the same bug. When I shut down Windows Media Player in mid-song the plugin keeps getting valid data, and it looks like it's just getting the final stream buffer repeated over and over. I don't get any different flags or status changes back to let me know that a particular app shut down. (remember I'm streaming from the post-mix output from all applications)

So I'm not quite sure how to fix it - seems like when an application shuts down it stop sending data into the mix buffer, but it's not something I can see from my side. I'll keep poking around to see if there's any way I can detect it via timecodes on the stream, or maybe even tracking the buffer address. Those are ugly workarounds for what looks like a Windows bug.

dave

Edit: I'm assuming you guys are all on Win7 x64?